PDA

View Full Version : Robota Teaser IV - 2005

murtle
02-04-2005, 07:55 PM
Doug Chiang wrote;

I’m very happy to announce the completion of the newest Robota teaser - Teaser 4. My deepest appreciation and thanks to my many good friends at Attitude Studios in Paris, France for their amazing work. Special thanks to Stephane Marty and Jerome Desvignes!

Since my last update, a lot has happened. I’ve formed a new company called IceBlink Studios, co-founded with my good friend Steve Perlman to do film designs and animation for feature films and games. We’ve been very busy the past 7 months working on Columbia Pictures’ MONSTER HOUSE as well as Paramount Pictures’ WAR OF THE WORLDS with Steven Spielberg. We’ve grown a bit too since then and now total 15 artists in–house. Please check out our web site for more info at www.iceblink.com (http://www.iceblink.com).

I’m also happy to report that the Sony Imageworks Robota game continues to go very well. I’ll be making a presentation at the Game Developers Conference this March to talk about the work we did on POLAR EXPRESS so look for some announcements soon. During the conference, we’ll be able to share more development news on the Robota game.

Hope you enjoy the newest teaser! Stay tuned for more news soon.

Cheers,
Doug

http://www.dchaing.com/dchiang/updates.html

http://www.dchaing.com/trailers/index.html

Direct link for large size (21MB)
http://www.iceblink.com/movies/robota4/robota4_480.mov

Unfortunately server is slow.

Sovereign
02-05-2005, 03:50 PM
I have Robota book. Such good painting. Now will be movie!? Sorry if everyone know this.

Bentagon
02-05-2005, 07:41 PM
They should seriously consider a different server. It's been loading for 6 hours and it's not even at 30% yet!

- Bentagon

unclebob
02-06-2005, 01:18 AM
on Doug's web site there are only the two teasers II & III. I have the book also, makes for some ok reading, the pictures are awesome.

CaptainJackSparrow
02-06-2005, 01:28 AM
Cans someone tell me what the plot of Robota is, like in a logline? It just seems like lots of nice graphics but where is the story?

Gentle Fury
02-06-2005, 01:31 AM
Cans someone tell me what the plot of Robota is, like in a logline? It just seems like lots of nice graphics but where is the story?

You got it....thats all it is....it's not a story at all, these trailers are CG representations of the concept art for Robota.....they are basically moving paintings. There is no story, or characters....just living works of art. Pretty cool stuff if you ask me ;)

Strang
02-06-2005, 01:32 AM
I think its great what Doug is doing.

he talked about doing movies and games. which we all know his work on Star Wars. Seeing him back interactive entertainment will be refreshing. seeing a highend film studio put out game content/development is reassuring. I am almost psyhically torn between getting involved the film or game industry. With them becomming closer to each other every year makes me happy.

I will be at GDC and will definately be checking out his presentation ;)

oh and these trailers are great. the mocap looks good on the robots.

WhiteRabbitObj
02-06-2005, 04:54 AM
You got it....thats all it is....it's not a story at all, these trailers are CG representations of the concept art for Robota.....they are basically moving paintings. There is no story, or characters....just living works of art. Pretty cool stuff if you ask me ;)

I don't know where you got this idea. Robota is an illustrated book.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0811840417/qid=1107665570/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-0343440-4569510?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

As I understand it, this book was published in order to raise interest and financing for a film version of the story. The trailers are part of the method of raising capital and building assets, to my knowledge. But to say there is no story or characters is catergorically incorrect.

[edit] Just watched the trailer. This didn't arouse my interest nearly as much as the others. There are some comping problems in some of the shots (incorrectly interpreted alpha-mattes it seems) and something odd looking about the whole thing. Kind of floaty or something, could be because of the huge space the robots occupy which seems unnaturally empty. But cool nonetheless, and I hope we eventually see an entire film of the book.

Gentle Fury
02-06-2005, 04:57 AM
I don't know where you got this idea. Robota is an illustrated book.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0811840417/qid=1107665570/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-0343440-4569510?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

As I understand it, this book was published in order to raise interest and financing for a film version of the story. The trailers are part of the method of raising capital and building assets, to my knowledge. But to say there is no story or characters is catergorically incorrect.

Yeah figured someone would have to disagree with me.....but in this case there has never been anything to reveal there is a story at all and that this is any more than artwork set to motion. If you can find anything saying there is a story and characters and plot and more of a point than just to make something beautiful than let me know and I will stand corrected. As far as I have seen and read since news of the book and animations first came out was that the animations were simply to promote the book.

WhiteRabbitObj
02-06-2005, 05:13 AM
I don't understand quite what you mean, I guess. The book has an entire story and characters. It's not just a bunch of pretty pictures, it's a short story interspersed with paintings. I remembered, as I thought about this response, that there was a Forword in Robota. I just read through it quickly, but it's two pages so I can't reproduce it in its entirety here (dunno if that would even be strictly legal) but the point was this:

Chiang drew a sketch as a child that stuck with him a long time. He remembered it when he began his work on Star Wars and eventually became obcessed with it until he wrote out a backstory and then eventually came to the story. He paired with Orson Scott Card to write the final story and Robota was born. As I understand it, the artwork came either at the same time as the story or after the initial ideas were fleshed out and written. It doesn't mention anything about a film, and what I have heard about his desire to make a film out of it and the book being his way to finance that, was all secondhand (I think) so I can't verify the accuracy of it. However, I think the point stands proven that there is a story and characters and such. If you want to assume that the story was written to support a series of images in his head, and that nullifies the veracity of the story, well, I can't debate that. But according to his Foreword that is not so.

ringzero
02-06-2005, 09:04 AM
Anyone else turn this off half way through?

Why do the bots move like humans acting like a cheesy fight extra in a cheap made for tv film?

Why not give the bots some motion that were not used to seeing, rather than badly acted mocap? Wheres the character?

Seriously dull stuff.

Sovereign
02-06-2005, 09:11 AM
there has never been anything to reveal there is a story at all and that this is any more than artwork set to motion.

Orson Scott Card is famous scifi writer, right? I think you have made mistake.

alexyork
02-06-2005, 11:19 AM
anybody willing to mirror it? i get a dead link here.

Bentagon
02-06-2005, 11:40 AM
It seems I've already seen this trailer at the e-magiciens festival in Valenciennes, France, and I think it looks very cool. Especially the designs. I would have loved to see more hints on the story, though.

- Bentagon

jussing
02-06-2005, 12:06 PM
Mirrooooooor, please! :D

jussing
02-06-2005, 12:07 PM
NEVERMIIIIIIIIIND, just go here and it loads fine:
http://www.dchiang.com/trailers/480_teaser4.html

Holy smokes, that was awesome! How can anyone not like that? Lovely eye-candy! :drool:

- Jonas

WillRyan
02-06-2005, 05:53 PM
Uggh. I don't know what it is about motion capture, but it made me want to turn this off within seconds. Everything seemed to be underwater, moving at this dampened, even speed. Maybe that's why we respond to things that are animated by actual animators so much more. There's a texture to the timing in hand-animated work that's missing from this fight scene. No life, no tension, no excitement.

Beautiful design, but souless animation.

mverta
02-06-2005, 06:10 PM
A beautiful, boring animation. Fights aren't interesting; stories are interesting. It was rendered nicely, but I agree the mocap is off-putting. I had 5 seconds of, "nice!" and then an eternity of, "ok, enough."

_Mike

snku
02-07-2005, 12:32 AM
it is sad to see doug chiang's great artwork and concepts with such a lack of life. the animation and some of the renders are really hurting these trailers.

Pixelcritter
03-13-2005, 06:15 AM
it is sad to see doug chiang's great artwork and concepts with such a lack of life. the animation and some of the renders are really hurting these trailers.

Couldn't agree more

dotTom
03-13-2005, 06:54 AM
This stuff leaves me cold, I like the designs and all - but the fighting just doesn't seem to "connect" nor does it have any real energy or snap. Is there a story behind any of this?

jussing
03-13-2005, 09:57 AM
Well um, the fighting animations are intended to me slow-motion as far as I can tell... oh well, I think it's hot. :)

BillSpradlin
03-13-2005, 10:17 AM
Don't generalize mocap. It's great and works very well when used correctly, this is a perfect of example of when it's not.

The fight scenes were, as many have said, boring, dull and without much life. I think they would have been able to really bring this to life if it was hand keyed. I don't think the whole thing was mocap, there were some shots where I saw the blending between hand and mocap (which is a bad thing if I can see it, but then again I've been looking at mocap stuff for the past month).

There were some scale issues as someone mentioned before, the space and area in which the robots were in was just off.

I think there is some definite potential and I'm sure that it will only get better.

thesuit
03-13-2005, 10:34 AM
is it me? or this was very boooring and slow... i dont mean to be rude but dont they notice this before releasing it to the public?

EpShot
03-13-2005, 11:46 AM
i really liked the coreography, and would love to see the live action fight sequence.

but the mo-cap was horribly/not cleaned up at all.
Which really hurt it when they did slow motion, because the cool thing about slow mo fights is you can witness the gracefullness of the fighters, but if its all jerky and popping all over the place, it defeats the whole purpose.

Its a shame really, its was a well put together fight and i love the naganta. Just needed much refinement. You really don't see many well coreographed fights in animation, except a 'few' animes.

CGTalk Moderation
03-13-2005, 11:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.