PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Develops Halo Film

RobertoOrtiz
02-04-2005, 06:42 PM
Quote:
"Microsoft hired screenwriter Alex Garland (28 Days Later) to script a feature-film version of its best-selling video-game franchise Halo, to be presented as a complete package, Variety reported. "

>>Link<< (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?id=30308)

-R

Mysterious X
02-04-2005, 07:26 PM
good news...28 days later was an (alrite) movie...just please make sure that (director we all familiar with) don't blow it off

L.Rawlins
02-04-2005, 07:32 PM
^ If you change your post after I've replied to it... It kinda makes me look crazy! :D

kiaran
02-04-2005, 07:32 PM
This is good news that they have Alex Garland (28 Days Later) penning the script. If anybody can make a good story out of Halo, this is the guy.

I love Halo but quite honestly, I think it will be an uphill battle to extract a film script from it that doesn't come off as being really cheesy. That being said, I wish Alex the best of luck and hope he comes up with something as inspiring as the game.

Stormy151
02-04-2005, 07:36 PM
Meh. Bring me Halo 3! :thumbsup:

Maybe it'll be CG...?

heavyness
02-04-2005, 07:37 PM
i also remember hearing Bungie will only make a movie if Ridley Scott directs it [which would be very good].

hypercube
02-04-2005, 07:50 PM
"Well, we couldn't get Ridley, but there's this other fella from germany, real enthusiastic about it, he's done a few video game movies before, and he's even a Doctor!" :scream:

Seems like it could be cool tho.

So, now that they're heavily mining video games, along with the current glut of comic books, and remakes of movies that don't need remakes, there should be what, 1 sci-fi/fantasy movie a year that is entirely new material, if that?

opus13
02-04-2005, 07:56 PM
i also remember hearing Bungie will only make a movie if Ridley Scott directs it [which would be very good].

too bad bungie isnt the controlling entity here. microsoft is.

eMPeck
02-04-2005, 08:01 PM
"Well, we couldn't get Ridley, but there's this other fella from germany, real enthusiastic about it, he's done a few video game movies before, and he's even a Doctor!" :scream:

ROTFL

I hope this will be very good movie game based just to show that it is possible. I cannot wait :). And I'm waiting for good SF movie! Most latest SF movies are piece of crap :/

BTW, does Microsoft start to make movies?

bentllama
02-04-2005, 08:23 PM
http://www.bentllama.com/thread_labyrinth.jpg

DeathTrip
02-04-2005, 08:39 PM
I was just going to poss thing, saw it at ign. Hopefully it'll turnout better than Dr. Boll's masterpieces.

Mister Chief better make an apearence
http://nikon.bungie.org/halo2updates/updateart/Misterchieffeb20.jpg

:D

Laa-Yosh
02-04-2005, 08:43 PM
Let's get honest here... the first Halo's story is far from original (Aliens, Ringworld, and a few other movies/books obviously had their effect on the writers). The second part, while more interesting, doesn't work without the first; and you can't pack both into one movie. And we don't even know about the third one, although I think we could predict the rest of the story to some end.

But man, what a kickass action movie it would make if they would do it justice! :D

titaniumdave
02-04-2005, 09:12 PM
It would have to be one damn good script to make that halo borefest into something watchable. Unless ofcourse they base the movie on the multiplayer mode.

DeathTrip
02-04-2005, 09:15 PM
The second part, while more interesting, doesn't work without the first; and you can't pack both into one movie.

Nobody said its a Halo 2 movie, it'll based on the Halo series/universe.

NanoGator
02-04-2005, 09:35 PM
Ugh. Make a Red Vs. Blue movie, not a drama.

Hazdaz
02-04-2005, 10:10 PM
So are we assuming its goign to be a CG or live-action movie? I wouldn't mind watching it - Halo & Halo2 were great games, so as long as it is loyal to the Halo universe it might end up being good.

Oh, and if the movie soundtrack is anything like the game soundtrack - its gonna be one of the bestest soundtracks ever.

Maven
02-05-2005, 12:58 PM
I think this is dangerous..this move has a very good change of being horrible. Like the resident evil series. (I didn't see the second one, but the first one doesn't make me want to) anyways I think they should just focus on H3. cause I be ready for it.:thumbsup: and whatnot.

PhilOsirus
02-05-2005, 04:20 PM
This means they will have to put a face on Master Chief! Noa ctor will play with a helmet on his head for the whole movie. Anyway, couldn't be worst than any other sci-fi movie.

Solothores
02-05-2005, 06:33 PM
Well finally a good message :thumbsup: Steve Ballmer for Master Chief!

rendermania
02-05-2005, 07:25 PM
Just give it to Uwe Boll to direct. I heard he makes good films from computer games. :applause:

kwshipman
02-05-2005, 08:46 PM

are you saying that David Bowie will be the Master Chief? That would be awesome. He could have a song and dance number with a group of grunts, maybe he could roll a plasma granade arround in his hands.

"Dance Magic...Dance Magic...Dance Magic..."

Cyborgguineapig
02-05-2005, 10:44 PM
cough" Marathon "cough

heavyness
02-06-2005, 12:52 AM
This means they will have to put a face on Master Chief! Noa ctor will play with a helmet on his head for the whole movie. Anyway, couldn't be worst than any other sci-fi movie.

no you wouldn't. if they surrounded the Chief with good actors and use him more as an supporting actor [who would steal the actions scenes], i don't see why he would have to take the mask off.

but i would think David Bowie would want to take the mask off at some point in the movie to sing.

WhiteRabbitObj
02-06-2005, 03:42 AM
are you saying that David Bowie will be the Master Chief? That would be awesome. He could have a song and dance number with a group of grunts, maybe he could roll a plasma granade arround in his hands.

"Dance Magic...Dance Magic...Dance Magic..."

Only if he stuffs his pants. Everyone knows that's the best part of Labyrinth! :rolleyes:

If this movie isn't directed by Dr. Uwe Boll it shall be a sad day! Hollywood has yet to get a video game movie right anyways... better to just get it over with, and gaurantee that as long as it will suck, it will suck in the most HILARIOUS way possible.

On a more serious note (not that I don't seriously think it would be hilarious if the Dr. directed Halo)... it would be really neat if the guys at Bungie got to do the effects for the film. I doubt any of them have any significant feature production experience, but if they could pirate a good FX supe and bring in some experienced people to lead the teams at Bungie, that could possibly be a great experience. Of course, it would be a bit superfluous to transform a game studio into a film effects studio for one specific film, especially when they're hard at work on Halo 3 for XBox2 and probably Halo4 as well (I'm assuming about XBox2, but is there really any question?). But, I dunno, maybe it's just because of my affinity for film effects, but I think the artists at Bungie would relish the opportunity if they had the chance and felt up to it.

Anyways, I hope it's good and doesn't get the Doom treatment. :cry:

NrgJake
02-06-2005, 04:10 AM
Corporate greed! They should just concentrate on Halo 3 and make it pretty much the same thing as halo and halo 2 and make a bunch of money that way.

kwshipman
02-06-2005, 07:04 AM
Corporate greed! They should just concentrate on Halo 3 and make it pretty much the same thing as halo and halo 2 and make a bunch of money that way.

I don't think that "corporate greed" will have any impact on Halo 3 seeing as how Bungie will more than likely not be involved in the production of the movie. If you mean greed on Microsoft's part, they don't have any impact on the developement of the game, so no harm there either.

FlyByNight
02-06-2005, 11:30 AM
wat a load of crap.... im sure that if this movie wasnt being made purely for financial gain, then there may have been a slight possibility that a decent movie could have been made....

but there is no chance of that in todays movie industry.... i bet everything ihave that this movie will tank, HARD, and will also make a lot of people feel nautious...

KOKE
02-06-2005, 12:12 PM
Im a big Halo fan, but after watching the last movies about videogames, Im afraid that the film will most probably not be good enough.
Halo universe is really cool, but maybe they should add some more drama and personality to master chief, because he makes a good video game hero but maybe a not so good movie hero. he is quite empty (maybe theres nothing inside the helmet , that would be cool ;) ).

Anyway I always said I wanted to see a Halo movie , so I will just wait and see.

:D

NrgJake
02-06-2005, 12:18 PM
I don't think that "corporate greed" will have any impact on Halo 3 seeing as how Bungie will more than likely not be involved in the production of the movie. If you mean greed on Microsoft's part, they don't have any impact on the developement of the game, so no harm there either.

I'm talking about whoever the big wigs are that think a halo movie is a good idea. There is no other reason behind it besides money! ....video game movies are generally pretty horrible in my opinion, and correct me if i'm wrong but it's not like halo or halo 2 has the most unbelievable story that just NEEDS to be made into a movie. The only story here is "money money money! mooooooonaaay!"

heavyness
02-06-2005, 05:13 PM
god, bent must be a freakin' fortune teller because this topic has already gotten off subject...

its not about corporate greed, its about pleasing the 7+ million fans out there...

SheepFactory
02-06-2005, 05:19 PM
well on the bright side , they just need to create one alien room set and than they can film the whole movie there.

kwshipman
02-06-2005, 05:25 PM
I'm talking about whoever the big wigs are that think a halo movie is a good idea. There is no other reason behind it besides money! ....video game movies are generally pretty horrible in my opinion, and correct me if i'm wrong but it's not like halo or halo 2 has the most unbelievable story that just NEEDS to be made into a movie. The only story here is "money money money! mooooooonaaay!"

You said "Corporate greed! They should just concentrate on Halo 3 and make it pretty much the same thing as halo and halo 2 and make a bunch of money that way." Making this movie will not cause anyone that is developing Halo 3 to loose concentration.

As for greed, why else would someone make a movie? All big name movies are made to make money, no one sets out to spend millions of dollars to produce a movie that people don't want to go see. Why are people supprised at the actions of Hollywood and large corporations? They don't make any move without first considering how they can profit from it. Why? Because if they don't make money, then they have no profit for the share holders, the people that own the company. If they loose enough money then there will be layoffs and cut backs. If Microsoft wants to whore out the Halo image then fine, that means more games, more jobs for Bungie and other companies (toy manufactures, movie production companies, advertisers, etc.) and more investment in other areas of the xbox.

will the movie tank...who the hell cares...just because there is some announcement from microsoft doesn't mean that people have th have a knee-jerk reaction and jump all over their backs.

WhiteRabbitObj
02-06-2005, 07:32 PM
well on the bright side , they just need to create one alien room set and than they can film the whole movie there.

Amen! Heh.

As I said... give it to Dr. Boll. He'll add some naked women on motorcycles with dual handguns jumping in bullet-time while some zombie vampires from another dimension try to hump Master Chief's leg, who, btw, is played by Keanu Reaves and has psychic powers that can stop bullets and make him fly.

To be fair, I didn't play Halo 1, so I only know the tales of its boredom secondhand. Of course, I didn't find Halo2 particularly riveting either, but the artwork was good and fun MP.

kmest
02-06-2005, 07:52 PM
a HALO movie would be great if they just give it to one of these guys to direct it:

1-Dr. OweBoll(he is a geanuse in making video games into movies and i've heard his next project is a live action TETRIS with more than 450 million $ cost :thumbsup: )

2-James Cameron(he is not as good as a director than OweBoll is,but he has proven himself with some movies like Terminator2 ,Aliens and Titanik.he sure can have a good future :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: )

and they say there is a guy named Peter Jackson,who is he anyway? :D

bentllama
02-06-2005, 09:08 PM

JeroenDStout
02-06-2005, 09:53 PM
Shoes! Shoes! Shoes! Shooeoeoeoees!...

Darn, nope, failed to avert it.. shoes would've made a fabulous topic, but ah... this thread is now about Labyrinth.

I like Labyrinth.

kiaran
02-06-2005, 10:18 PM
I think a Halo movie with David Bowie would be sweet. I think every movie could benefit from having more David Bowie. Labyrinth is an unparalled epic fantasy movie.

Uh oh, this thread is about Labrinyth now... damn... why does this always happen?

allseeingi
02-06-2005, 11:55 PM
I for one hope Paul Anderson directs the movie...

...ahem.

Or, David Bowie.

- allseeingi

FlyByNight
02-07-2005, 02:02 AM
halo, halo 2, halo movie, halo 3... nicely back on topic:thumbsup:

SOPLAND
02-07-2005, 02:49 AM
It would have to be one damn good script to make that halo borefest into something watchable.

Truer words never spoken.

MikeRhone
02-07-2005, 04:27 AM
I dont understand the david bowie thing.... Labyrinth DOES rock though.

Personally I think a Halo movie would only hurt the franchise. I see Tomb Radier and Resident Evil all over again. (And street fighter, Double Dragon, Mario brothers.) There has NEVER been a good movie made from a video game. Mortal Kombat was the closest, and even that sucked ass.

If its about making money... It unfortunately wll do that... I am sure that it influence a (possible) halo 3 sequal to be very cheesed out.

My .02 CND

WhiteRabbitObj
02-07-2005, 04:46 AM
Mortal Kombat was the closest, and even that sucked ass.

Hah. I'm glad to see someone shares my opinion. Mortal Kombat was by far the best video game movie. It's so insane and ridiculous. Plus, it had Christopher Lambert, which, despite some (incorrect) opinions to the contrary, is always a good thing.

I don't, however, think the Resident Evil movies has hurt the franchise in any way. I never played any of the games, but all my friends talk about these days is the new R.E. game. How they find time to play, I don't know, but they seem to think it's amazing nonetheless.

allseeingi
02-07-2005, 08:24 PM
Did anyone else think Tomb Raider 2 was actually pretty good or have I just embarrassed myself?

- allseeingi

kiaran
02-07-2005, 08:35 PM
Did anyone else think Tomb Raider 2 was actually pretty good or have I just embarrassed myself?

You just embaressed yourself. ;)

allseeingi
02-07-2005, 09:20 PM
You just embaressed yourself. ;)

D'oh! I have a habit of doing that. Next I'll be telling you all about my curious encounter with a surgeon in Bankok.

Oh, wait...

- allseeingi

CGTalk Moderation
02-07-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.