PDA

View Full Version : Modelling with NURBS or Polygons

Blindfisch
02-04-2005, 03:18 PM
Hi,

i want to model a part of a church and i'm not sure it's better to use nurbs or polygons.
the thing is, that the model is later used in a real-time rendering environment. but therefore it should be possible to get different models with different amount of triangles and to scale the solution of the model.

3mm
02-07-2005, 12:58 AM
only use polygons!:)

Magallanes
02-07-2005, 02:58 AM
Agreed with avoid nurbs.

why?

1) Nurbs are not realtime-rendering-friendly
2) Non organics mesh like building usually don't use nurbs and they can be builder more easily with polygons

If you want to "adjust" the level of details in polygons then think in LOD.

cpan
02-07-2005, 11:26 AM
since everyone sugests polys I'll tell you about NURBS :)
use them depending on what you're doing and what 3d program you're using. Fo instance, with NURBS you can do a nice curved surface with only 3 or more curves by using a boundry tool and then you can easily convert it to a low poly (and then smooth-it to get the original shape). Another advantage is that you can then modify the curves and change the shape instantly (whith polys you'd have to move all vertices).

cheers

AA_Tyrael
02-09-2005, 03:02 PM
Yeah... you guys go and make a tire with polygons,while someone else makes it in dT with NURBS

Blindfisch, use polygons(and subdivisions) for organic modelling, and use NURBS(aka curves) for stuff that have lots of curves

CGTalk Moderation
02-09-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.