PDA

View Full Version : Matchmoving - solutions

JINN
09-12-2002, 10:07 AM
Can anyone here advise me on the best way - without a software solution - to matchmove 3D elements into a video clip.

I use Cinema 3D and wish to add cg elements to a clip, ie buildings and back ground. Obviuosly the problem is camera moves and perspective, camera angle etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Fede
09-12-2002, 01:13 PM
Excuse my stupidity but are you in the right forum?

cause if you are not looking at using any other software should you not ask this question in the c4d forum ?

not trying to be clever or anything.

JINN
09-13-2002, 11:25 AM
:surprised

I will excuse you...being a subscriber to the C4D forum I know where I am on CG Talk... the question is about

quote: " to matchmove 3D elements into a video clip."

a procedure that can apply to many software platforms, one which is also a major element of er... 'compositing'..

So being a Combustion/inferno user forum somebody should hopefully have some experience in this, which is why I posted here.

What software I use is irrelevant, I'm just looking for guidance on how to achieve this without.." a dedicated software solution such as Matchmove, Ikarus, Bijou...."..

Fede
09-13-2002, 12:35 PM
You know, you can really keep your attitude dude.

There are many ways to do it first of all and different ways to approach it too.

First of all, in C2 you can't matchmoove the way you are talking you will need one of the other packages you mentioned.
It's true that C2 has tracking built in but only works in 2d space and you will require an other package for 3d space.
See, you can't track in combustion and export the camera because once the track is done, the camera is static.

Not sure if C4D has the ability to export camera movement to C2 as this could help you too.

You would need to recreate you environment in C4D using simple primitives and then key frame the camera moovement to move like the real camera, i would suggest that you use some ping pong balls or tennis balls to use as tracking markers and then paint over them later to take them out but it's not that hard. Make sure that they are evenly spaced and that there are about 4 on screen at any given time.

If you need to add 3d elements just composite over the live action if you need stuff to move behind your live action plate you will have to duplicate the footage and extract buy using a garbage mask/ matte extract what ever you need out of the live plate and sandwich you 3d elements in between the two.

I hope this makes sense as er.... i don't know what "compositing" really is anyway.

wireFrame
09-13-2002, 02:29 PM
Do this in C4D:

1. Examine your footage.

2. Pick at least one inanimate object from the clip to track (i.e. fence, car, or house).

3. Creat a geometry that approximates the shape of that chosen object and place it directly over the object you're going to track.

4. Get your cmera and go through the length of the clip and match the geometry to the object's position in time and make keyframes.

5. After matching the movement, get your 3d elements and place them on the scene.

6. Render elements and bring it to compositing (C2 or After Effects.

I agree with Fede, you could have post it to c4d forum since you can't use a compositing app to matchmove in 3d. I mean since you're not considering any other app, c4d is your only option.

JINN
09-13-2002, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the advice, very helpful indeed, I didnt mean to too rude, just caught me on a bad day. But I appreciate all the help from both you guys.

The reson I ended up here is because I didn't get much from the post I left in the C4D forum. Which has paid of thanks to you two.

cheers
:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.