PDA

View Full Version : bird nest modeling tips s.o.?

k2k
02-04-2005, 03:48 AM
hi everybody!
I wondered if s.o., who has already done a model of that kind could give me some advices on a bird nest modelling (preferably in 3ds max). It’s for a short animation and needs to be quite detailed and realistic… I can’t believe I have to do this spline by spline or something as tedious as that…
any help?

k2k
02-07-2005, 10:00 AM
really nobody?

pencil-head
02-07-2005, 06:43 PM
Well i suggest you just go it it with splines and then loft them. I don't think there is an easy way to model a birds nest. Unless your a master scripter.

k2k
02-07-2005, 09:46 PM
i was so afraid i would have "just" an answer like yours :(
anyways with splines it will be faster than becoming a "master scripter" in my case...
thx

Naisa Evoli
02-08-2005, 03:43 AM
ok, i really dot know how this would turn out, but you can give it a try. What if you tried making a really simple design. A smoothed out bowl shape, with some beveled geometry to give it a little real in 3D depth, and maybe a couple spots where you can see all the way through it and then give it all its realism with your maps. Make a really nice color map, and match the bump map to the color map so the dark areas will get shaded like it is 3D (not sure if 3D studio max shades bump maps, but I’m pretty sure Maya does). As long as you make your maps really good, I would think this would give you really good results, but iv never tried it so I cant say for sure. But, testing this out really fast may save you alot of time modeling all the individual parts of a birds nest. I'm still relatively new to 3D though, so this could be a dead end, but it wouldn’t take but an hour or less to run a test on this idea, its relatively simple. so i figure why not give it a try^^. Good luck.

CGTalk Moderation
02-08-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.