PDA

View Full Version : The bi-polar witch

Ognus
02-04-2005, 02:27 AM
Hey there, this is a character sketch for a man named Mike Griffin. He wrote this character named Misty who is a bi-polar witch.
Crits and Commentary welcome and appreciated.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/ognus/MistyPrelims.jpg
sketches and preliminaries
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/ognus/MistySketch.jpg
More
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/ognus/MistyColored.jpg
Colored
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/ognus/MistyMusings.jpg
Bunch of em'

Overchord
02-04-2005, 04:20 PM
Great stuuf :thumbsup:

I really like the style. You have managed to use the colors really well. Often I find that the colouring "changes" rather than add to a picture - but in this case it really enhances your drawing!

Ognus
02-05-2005, 12:23 AM
Thanks! I really appreciate that.

cuppacam
02-05-2005, 05:35 AM
I love it. You have a great feel for this type of comic art. Only crit is the way the pants sit on her legs. A little off but all in all damn fine job!!!

Ognus
02-05-2005, 08:15 AM
Thanks cup,
you know, your style reminds me of this artist from one of the wildcats books. I think it was number 5 or 6 of the regular series. Its a crazy cool style. If you dont own that book, I highly suggest you pick it up off ebay or something, the style is very similiar to yours.

I think the issue is this one on the left. I would check for you but all my comic books are in storage. But im pretty sure. The art is very similiar to yours.

~LINK~ (http://www.leftofreality.com/images/PRODUCTS/wildcats7-8.jpg)

Obviously the cover is by Travis Charest, but the innards are insanely orignal by some other artist.
http://www.leftofreality.com/images/PRODUCTS/wildcats7-8.j
http://www.leftofreality.com/images/PRODUCTS/wildcats7-8.j

Ilikesoup
02-05-2005, 04:10 PM
I like the work you've done. The drawings she's done on her pants is a nice touch -- I can see her being in a dark and introspective mood during study hall or something and pulling out a bottle of white out or something and going to work.

When you say "bipolar" do you mean she's both Glinda and the Wicked Witch or clinical manic-depressive? Her expression in the colored image says timid, though as opposed to depressed or angry. For a manic mood I'd think of a broad smile and a loud, almost insincere laugh, but perhaps I've got the wrong idea about the character.

More updates, please! :)
Hope that was helpful.

Martin_B
02-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Oh. I like this very much. Especially her face - it's nicely charesmatic.

But her cloak (in the the third image) seems kind of odd. It doesn't seem like she could close it. And.. well i guess it's no wrong with that but it just disturbs me..

Ognus
02-05-2005, 06:35 PM
Soup: Bi-polar meaning depressed or happy, not evil or good. Like most teenagers I guess. The problem is this affects her spells. Misty maniacal? That would be funny! I see her as a girl who doesnt even dare to ask for a fork from the host if they forgot to put one out. Very very timid. But very very fun around the right people, namely the hero "Stanley"
"Glinda and the Wicked Witch" I like that line. Mind if I use it? its hilarious. Thanks for your words!

Martin: You are right. What an oversight! She cant close it. Thank you. I will keep that in mind when I draw her again. In her "white" mood she wears a duster which cant be closed, but in her dark mood her cloak should close. Thank you for that. Its amazing what we dont see eh? So much more to learn......

Thank you for your comments!

Ilikesoup
02-05-2005, 10:16 PM
"Glinda and the Wicked Witch" I like that line. Mind if I use it? its hilarious. Thanks for your words!

Use it! Use it! :bounce:

Ognus
02-05-2005, 10:45 PM
I will soup thanks! She has this team mate that is always teasing her, that would be really funny for him to say that.

BlueMonK
02-06-2005, 12:40 AM
for some reason i would like to see her angry,...i like this style allot!

cuppacam
02-06-2005, 04:16 AM
Something to think about. Never really read wildcats except when I was over at a friends place who had a few of them.

I've changed the style of my drawing quite a lot over the years. at the moment I'm trying to find a happy medium between my comic style art and digital painting.

Still love the pics man!

Ognus
02-10-2005, 02:35 PM
Monk of blue: Me too.

Cup: Im telling ya, go get the book. Its a style like nothing else, well except yours.

Here is Misty the bi-polar witches boyfriend. Hes 35. Shes dating up!
He dresses in an alien costume, and I hope Mike (the creator) will let me keep the flight suit outfit with the converse chucks instead of the classic robe thing most aliens apparently wear.

The alien character is named Stanley. Most of the time when he uses his mask for powers it looks natural, but it is capable of a more brutal "battle mode" in which the front part of the face lifts up like a hatch and a lot of weapons are brandished as illustrated.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/ognus/ALeon2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/ognus/ALeona.jpg

Ognus
02-10-2005, 02:49 PM
Here is a skull head variation to the alien mask. Stanley switches to this skull version when he wants something a little more scary and brutal. The alien one seems a bit silly. Its his "fun" costume maybe?
Some of this skull version can be seen up in the orignal alien montage.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/ognus/MetalHead.jpg

Ognus
02-16-2005, 12:50 PM
Here is another member of the team. Well sort of. He is like the mentor, and old hero from an older time.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/ognus/Cowboysmall.jpg

C&C always appreciated

Ognus
02-17-2005, 01:44 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/ognus/CowboyLinedSMALLcopy.jpg

Hat added, and hands, and basic color scheme. Ive almost got all the members of Masks drawn.

Stay tuned and silent I guess.

Like a comedian in an empty theatre...........

Is that somebody clapping? No, no, just the shutters in the wind.

You want replys, you give them. Jerks. Give and take. Not take and take and take and take.

Ognus
02-17-2005, 04:38 AM
A tumble weed blows by.............

whishk......whishk........

scraping across the empty forum road.
dust and rocks.

where are all the people? Filling the front page boats? Servile redunancies.......

Ognus
02-18-2005, 01:23 AM
Lack of community. Everybody wants to be seen, but none want to see anybody else.

I respect those who post in others threads. It seems so many come here simply to put up artwork. You will se their thread count at like 15, and all of them are in their own threads, talking about their own art. I guess the rest of us are just supposed to serve them and help them and they dont have to say a word to help anybody else out. Right?

This WIP forum is the worst, most desolate lurker filled forum i have ever been in. Im leaving.
No interaction.

Im going to find a community whose veins are filled with blood and commerce and interaction. Not a community full of servile front page responders who love to lick the boots of those better than themselves.

If you are reading this, I hope you think to yourself "what is community?" or "Why am I here?" Is it to stare? To sit silent and unmoved. To say nothing of anothers efforts.
Oh wait, is that guy published? I had better go make an appearance in his thread and say "good job" or "you are awesome"

Oh whats this? Some guy trying to get better? Screw that guy, I aint talking to him. I only lick the boots of kings, I dont speak to those of my own.

supremo
02-18-2005, 02:34 AM
Well.

Until I saw your last post I was going to say: "Man, and I thought I was an unusually creative person until I visited this thread! Where do you come up with this stuff? The alien guy costume is fantastically original!" and then go on to comment on your style or coloring ability or whatnot.

But you've turned this thread into a rant and (since I've received some crits from you in the past) I'd like to make some comments on the last post and I'll comment on your work later!

I totally understand your frustration. There's nothing better for a digital-artist-in-study to post their latest work and have oodles and oodles of comments. Honestly, I have a friend on the boards and if she didn't comment on my pieces I'd probably have 5 different critiques on the 6 or 7 images I've posted.

If you find a forum that has more response than that then please, by all means, reply or pm me with the URL. I'd love to have the kind of response that you crave too! I've nearly given up on expecting many responses for my work, and taken it upon myself to go in search of help. Asking questions on other people's threads (can you believe that I don't even get help there most of the time?) and finding tutorials and trying to remain observant to the work I see myself.

Besides that, a lot of people don't seem to really understand how to critique work (probably myself included). You get a lot of novices making spur of the moment comments that may or may not really make a difference in the piece. So to get the really critical, helpful advice, we need the masters of the media to come down off their "Award-Winning" perch and share the knowledge that they've acrued. There are a few that do this and we appreciate it immensely, but mostly I notice the amazing, often front page work, is posted by someone with a 1 or 2 post member.

Damn, now I'm rambling. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think it's selfish to EXPECT people to crit, but then again, why have a WIP forum if not for people to crit. I've come to decide that it's an excellent place to display my work, and bonus points if someone has the courage to actually get on my thread and say something intelligent.

Ognus
02-18-2005, 03:13 AM
It shows an incredible lack of community to let things just slide off the page with zero replies.

Like I said in an earlier rant, we need our own club. Take care of each other and commit to taking care of everybody else. There are days where the front page of this entire thread says "last response Ognus" on it. But that takes a lot of time. I got two ongoing art projects, a full time job, a wife, and two positions held at my church. All of these things require copious amounts of time and dedication. I come here and try and give a little here, a little there and I spend a good few hours a week on just commenting on other peoples stuff. So I would love to hear everybodies excuse for not responding. I do expect response. Thats what a message board is for. I have a storage site. If my only aim was to get my art on the net I would just put it there.
The front page says exactly this "Critique 2D works in progress."

The name of the site says CGTALK. As in say something. As in speech. But 90 percent of this entire message board is "good job." and its all for front pagers.

I would like to hear and now coin a new name for this wretched anti-community. "CGGAWK" its not cg talk. Its cg gawk.

Im not blaming CGTalk. A society is only as good as its members.
And well...............

Yes this thread is a rant now.
Let it be. I can rant much better than I can draw.
Rants are the product of frustration.
Get talking and stop gawking.
Replies are what build friendships, induce networking, and get a person known.

Im usually a bit subtle but this is ridiculous. But I have planted my subtleness in this thread. Seeds to be sown.

Martin_B
02-18-2005, 12:07 PM
A short wonder: I got the feeling that his upper body is very short, i don't know but it looks like his pistol-belt-things are positioned on his stomache. It's maybe just me.

Oh, and i really liked the alien-in-flight-suit-guy.

The Damned
02-18-2005, 12:37 PM
Rants certainly do get replies. I'm siging onto this thread too. Really like your style and love the cowboy.

Wicked helmet on Stanley too.
Now I realise I'm no pro but I keep looking at the buckled pocket on his left hand side. It looks like its too straight on. I would have thought it should be more round the side of him, as otherwise his hips are very square. Maybe its just me tho.

Hope that makes sense...

Also... Is he going to have his hat off in any pictures because I think the whole long head thang with the stitching looks really cool.

Just a quick question. What are you planning this to end up as?

Ognus
02-18-2005, 02:47 PM
I am very thankful I will have you know that you have taken the time to reply to this.
Wish people would get more involved.

Martin: Yup. You are absolutley right. How did I not see that? This is why we need replies and interaction. His torso is far too short.

Damned: They sure seem to get replies dont they? For somebody who doesnt consider themself to be a pro you are spot on about the pocket. If it were straight on, the knee would have to be pushing the jacket into a inner fold which isnt whats happening. I think you are most correct in your observation. My stitch face actually got vetoed by the writer/creator. I was so fond of it though that he is going to write it into a villian character for issue three. So now i have to create a new face for the cowboy. Im telling you though, if i were superhero, i would totally have a stitch face. Fear is a grand grip on a foe.

The project is meant to be a five issue comic book. I'll keep oosting if people keep replying. Otherwise I am just going to have to get better without ya'll and that builds no karma for ya'll now does it?

Thanks for your eyes Damned and Martin. And your time. I will return the favor.

Ilikesoup
02-18-2005, 08:17 PM
Whoa, boy! Whoa, whoa whoa whoa!!

First of all I love the linework. Great character designs.
Second, I've read your thread and there's no indication that you want critiques or advice. Keep in mind that there are plenty of people who use the WIP section as an image dump and just want people to look and admire but are concerned they might be scrutinized if they post in the "Finished" section. If you want crits, ask for crits -- the more specific the better.

example: I'm not sure about the proportions. Does his arm look too long?

Third, you'll get more responses if there's something wrong with a picture. If you want quick replies don't draw so well. :)

Ognus
02-19-2005, 06:27 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/ognus/Crumb.jpg

I drew this. I think the anatomy is really solid and I am going to submit to a publisher. But first I wanted some commentary. Do you think the picture sucks? Is there a photoshop filter that will turn this into an anotomically correct, beautifully colored davinci-esque masterpiece? If so, where can I download it?

Like that soup?

Perhaps I could word my topics better, Im not going to argue with that, but I think there is a general understanding what this forum should function as, and it just doesnt. Not for you, not for me.
CGGawk.Com.
Not much talkin, just a lot of gawkin.

Anyhow,

Here are some new ones.
I readjusted the belt and pouch on the cowboy due to some wonderful comments (cause and effect. Isnt it wonderful?)

The other guy I keep calling "Rat" but I dont know what the writer will end up calling him.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/ognus/CowboyColorMini.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/ognus/TheRatSM.jpg

PixelPlay
02-19-2005, 10:11 AM
Just a quick reply on your lack of comments. When I run across a post such as yours, where the work is really well excecuted and of very high callibur I am usually left with not too many comments to make. Should I say, "Damn, awesome job!"? Seems kind of empty and not very helpful but I will say it anyway: Awesome job dude! Beautiful and creative line work and the coloring is excellent as well. Hope that helped some. :)

Ognus
02-19-2005, 05:29 PM
Thanks pixel.
I really appreciate that.

Ilikesoup
02-20-2005, 12:04 AM
Heh. Your rants are funnier than most I've read.

Anyway, regarding the cowboy -- brown of his right arm is suddenly green where it's reddish everywhere else. I'm curious about the high buttoned collar, too. Interesting detail, but impractical for a gunfighter who would want to look over his shoulder once in a while to see if somebody's got the jump on him.

As for The Rat -- I like that his nose is almost a snout and love the logo on his jacket. I'm unclear as to his function, though. With the mask and the odd gun he might be just as able to spraypaint my car as to release a deadly neurotoxin in the air. Right arm is at an extreme angle -- 45-degree would look more real, but I understand if you're trying to show the gun in profile. Also, might Rat have a hunched back like the rat on his jacket?

Dat's right. I'm through gawkin' and I'm ready for some talkin'!! :scream:

Ognus
02-20-2005, 01:50 AM
Thanks soup. You are right about Rat's arm. I tried making that pose and it is quite extreme and uncomfortable. Sometimes I get caught up in exposition rather than real movement and pose. I would rather have real movement and pose in most cases so thank you for your words. I will adjust that aspect before submission.

The cowboy's costume is mainly to hide his identity. I wanted him to have this sort of higher tech underneath grey maybe even navy seal like costume. So thats where I went. As for the green to red, it was a overlay I was experimenting with that I thought I had all but faded. Good EYE!

EVERY single time one of you speaks about my art, I learn something. I see from new eyes. Its a grand experience, and that is why I rant that nobody will participate. Its not just me that needs it, we all do.

Thank you for your eyes soup. You ever read "Enders Game?" by Orson Scott Card? There is this character they call "Hot Soup"

Ognus
02-22-2005, 02:33 AM
Misty smokes. Not good for her....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/ognus/MistySmokingSM.jpg

ms@zx
02-22-2005, 03:12 AM
coming along very nicely ,those concept sketches as well as the colored ones.i think the guy with hat,the left hand should be seem slightly bigger?as his pointing it to the front.i mean comparing the size of the right.i'm not sure if the face is final,the right eye seems alil off if u are to make both eyes visible,it'll be quite a gap between the eyes.
as for misty,the eyes placement are proportionately off too,line art is great:)keep it coming friend.

Ognus
02-22-2005, 03:51 AM
Thanks ms@zx,
I felt the thing about the eyes on Misty but lazily ignored it. I just fixed it on my desktop because I didnt want to sleep with out it being read to color tomorrow.
The eyes on the cowboy arent final yet, and thanks for the comments I see what you mean. His hand could be a tad bigger. I will make some adjustments and try and keep everything squeaky clean.

Thank you for your eyes.

Ognus
02-25-2005, 05:36 AM
Moved the eyes thanks to ms@zx for the comment it really helped me see the face better. Using natural colors instead of gothic ones. Thought this could be one of her "light" moods.

Still need to play with the wrinkles on her shirt. Also need to add some highlights.
Im planning on putting her behind a window at a coffee shop. There will be an ashtray and a cup of joe, some strewn about papers a pen or two and a few other elements that says shes been sitting at that window for awhile.

Crits and Commentary are very valued and always needed. Im not perfect........ yet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/ognus/MistySmokingsmC.jpg

Please give me any ideas you feel prompted to share.

hjalmar
02-25-2005, 08:45 AM
the two fingers holding the zippo look like they should have nothing in between them, maybe you could widen them a bit? i dont know, its just what it looks like, i cant view my hand from that angle

and as you said you need to work the wrinkles a bit, other than that the colours look bang on to me man

good job, keep it up:thumbsup:

i love that cowboy

The Damned
02-25-2005, 11:38 AM
Coming along nicely as normal. Good job.

The only thing I'd say about Misty is that she looks a bit bulkier compared to the first drawings of her.

I think its all in the left handed cheek, it just looks a bit too rounded compared to a slimmer face before...(I realise that some of the earlier drawing may only be preliminary)

Loving the accessories...especially the furry band.

Ilikesoup
02-25-2005, 05:42 PM
Coming along nicely as normal. Good job.

The only thing I'd say about Misty is that she looks a bit bulkier compared to the first drawings of her.

I think its all in the left handed cheek, it just looks a bit too rounded compared to a slimmer face before...(I realise that some of the earlier drawing may only be preliminary)

I agree, and I like the change whether it's intentional or not. Somehow it seems to fit her profile as being bipolar. It also makes her more real -- too many female characters with abs of steel for my liking. Her hands are nicely detailed, but perhaps a bit too much so. The interior lines make them look leathery and calloused.

hjalmar was onto something when he mentioned the Zippo -- her fingers are too close together as though it's a business card. Also her fingers are at an angle, yet the lighter is seen straight on rather than at an angle. No biggie, but there it is.

Lastly, I like the way you're relating to your characters. I read, "Misty smokes. Not good for her...." and it seemed like your friend's photo in a scrap book. Nice touch. :thumbsup:

BlueFunk
02-26-2005, 05:54 AM
Ognus! - I grant you my first post!

(sorry, i guess i've been a gawker too....but i swear i've never licked any boots)

others already mentioned the comment I was going to make about the cowboy's eye.

something about the way the face is lit bothers me, its too flat. you have so much detail everywhere else, don't ignore his face. (i know you said you weren't finished with his eye). If you just look at the side of his face/underside of his hat in the shadow, there is almost no definition. There is little in the shading to indicate that his hat wraps around his head. i also think the top of his collar/mask on the lit side of his face would catch a little shadow from his hat.

I like misty lots. Very expressive eyes in the image with the purple hair and sweater.

Ognus
02-26-2005, 06:41 AM
Thanks Hjalmar, I see what you mean about the Zippo. It was more of an afterthought and I had already drawn the hand. Lazy mistake I suppose. But its in there now and I dont want to change it because of the work it will take. Hopefully the average reader (if there ever is any) wont notice or mind. Perhaps I should start posting pencil work. I tend to wait until I have inked it, and well that might be a day late and a buck short eh? You are absolutely right however.

Damned: Shucks. Thank you. She was described to me as being a "bit chubby." Hopefully I am being true to the writers vision of her. He seems to like the concepts I have been doing. And said she "came alive" when he saw my rendition of her.

Soup: I had somebody tell me in art class once "[Og] I like the way you talk to yourself while you draw. You really think about these people dont you?" And I thought "Yeah, doesnt everyone?"
I have written so much about these characters as I have been drawing them. They live to me. Become real. I start to love some of them and dislike others. Its a very involved process. Maybe its the writer in my coming out in the art eh? Thank you for your comments.

I appreciate all of you, and will do my best to support you in your efforts as well. Thank you for your eyes.

When you think about it, thats what we do, loan each other our vision. This forum has the potential to be an extremley powerful and useful resource if we will all just band together and help it become such.

Once again, thank you.

Baki
02-26-2005, 07:27 AM
i like your work, its very creative, all the more i like it
i see a lot of proportion mistakes
ok examples.....with the Misty its more of a style issue,
Misty seems a little wide and short
the older mentor leader character hand that is pointing at the screen with the gun especially on the newest colord post seems a little small, things closer to you look larger
and rat's arm holding the gun is way to long, if he straightened out his arm it would be longer than the other arm
lol, i read the post where you got mad at people not posting and not replying
but....i know it sucks......but most the people that come to cgtalk are not members so they can't post, and the artists care more about checking out the art rather than critiquing
sad and evil truth, i never critiques before because i lost my password and had to get a new one so for a long time i just observed in the shadows like a ninja......an evil ninja, buhhaha
ok anyways.....it pisses me off a lot to when people don't critique but i am getting used to it

Ognus
06-01-2005, 05:56 AM
Here is my latest update,
its been awhile

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/ognus/MistySmokinglgasdaax.jpg

skipstah70
06-01-2005, 07:40 AM
interesting image ... coming together... I think the head is prob 15 - 20 % too large though... try and shrink it and I bet it will sit perfect

S

Dargon
06-01-2005, 07:46 AM
I dissagree!! Head size spot on!

(At least for real human proportions, not the superhero seven and a half heads that gets batted about like it was scientifically perfect around here)

skipstah70
06-01-2005, 08:55 AM
dragon .. sorry .. can't agree there... head DEFINATELY a shade big... as far as realism goes that is... ( @ 7 1/2 heads is unfortunately pretty precise. ) just for a test .. go look @ the average female / male head width to shoulder ratio, guaranteed it is about 2 1/2 heads wide @ the shoulder.

Ognus
06-01-2005, 01:50 PM
Perhaps the head is a little big. I will experiment.
It seems the hands would go well with the face though. So perhaps the shoulders are a bit small? Whatever the case, i think she is charming in her non superhero look.
Thanks for the vote of confidence Dargon.

Thank you for your eyes.

Ognus
06-22-2005, 08:25 PM
Im going to do a giant pin up of the gang.
Here is the bottom corner of the illustration. His name is "Fist"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/ognus/FistfALLING.jpg

Ognus
06-23-2005, 12:40 AM
I added a few things today including "Stanley the Alien"
The total piece will contain a bunch of raining thugs, and two more team members, perhaps a third if the composition fits.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/ognus/masksteampinupdraft.jpg

Ognus
07-16-2005, 04:28 PM
I added quite a bit more since last I posted. Here is the Masks team in a picture I call "Raining Thugs."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/ognus/RainingThugalumps.jpg

lanternkid
07-17-2005, 12:31 PM
Hey Ognus, your pictures look good :p Your designs are creative and the latest one has really nice use of solid colours. Post more! :)

Ognus
07-22-2005, 05:44 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/ognus/RainRainRainonmymind.jpg
This ones done.

Thanks moon. I tried to look at your picture but it wont let me.

Ognus
07-22-2005, 05:46 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/ognus/TheycallmeMISTYTIBBS.jpg

Latest design of the bi-polar witch

CGTalk Moderation
07-22-2005, 05:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.