PDA

View Full Version : BOXX, Alienware - whom to trust more?

unique|tom
02-03-2005, 10:00 PM
First post ever! Greetings to everyone.
My question regards my problem with not being able to choose between picking one of the most powerful notebooks I've ever seen: by Alienware (http://alienware.com/product_detail_pages/MJ-12m_7700/mj-12m_7700_features.aspx?SysCode=PC-LT-MJ12M-7700&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT)or by BOXX Technologies (http://www.boxxtech.com/asp/2200.asp).
What do u think of these solutions? Which of them can be more reliable and trustworthy?
Both configurations seems to be very similar, and despite the design and minor changes in weight and size there are no significant differences.
So that's why I'd like to know your experience with other machines from these companies.
For me it looks like that Alienware is a kinda "cool, wow, 1337, white teeth" etc. company with these "cool" looking style (or whatever:rolleyes:) while BOXX seems to be more proffesional and reliable with no fancy-shmancy plastic stuff It also looks like it can give me a better value for the money spent there.
The problem is that BOXX hasn't introduced it's model for ordering so i just have to wait till that happen.
Until than I d like to gather opinions on these companies. Can u trust em? Which one is better in different aspects? Or maybe u can propose totally different solution (mobile workstation)?
Thx a lot.

zeroice013
02-04-2005, 12:14 AM
I have an Alienware desktop that's almost 3 years old now, and it's been a great system and I got great support in the beginning. Then after that it seemed lke the general attitude was "We have your money, your warranty is over, we don't want anything to do with you until you spend more money".So I really haven't been happy with AW lately. I was looking at the MJ12m 7700 so I contacted them a few times with questions, and they weren't very helpful or friendly. And they seem to keep raising their prices while giving you less for your money, so I've decided not to buy from them.

Sieb
02-04-2005, 05:26 AM
Boxx, always.. Especially since there is a BOXX rep on the forum here.

xgastudios
02-04-2005, 05:41 AM
Hi there,

We've got both here at the planetarium and, been happy with both overall. Though Boxx has really impressed me with their tech support. http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon13.gif
Matt

maxrelics
02-04-2005, 07:01 AM
I think that BOXX is the overall favorite on the forum. And I think that's because they make solid systems that give great speed and they are extremely reliable.

unique|tom
02-04-2005, 09:36 AM
i've found another item to compare - ITC Mobile systems. (http://www.itchannel.com.au/customer/ITC-Custom-Build.asp?Notebook=Millennia-7300)
It's looks exactly the same like Alienware mj7700 also the configuration is the same, but the price is almost 1500$ higher than mj7700. Where is the catch?

Boxx, always.. Especially since there is a BOXX rep on the forum here.
Hmm, my first impression on BOXX is not very good, I'vew sent e-mails to both Alienware and BOXX with questions regarding both mobile workstations.
Alienware needed around 12h to reply, BOXX seemed to not care about replying - it's been almost 72h...:rolleyes:
So if this rep has any nickname maybe i can contact him, and see if he can be trustful, hopefully not only pure fanboi:)

Though Boxx has really impressed me with their tech support.
it seemed lke the general attitude was "We have your money, your warranty is over, we don't want anything to do with you until you spend more money".
Good to know that: 1:0 for BOXX (0 for Alienware)

kex
02-04-2005, 11:22 AM
if your really going to buy then go and get on the old dog and bone

unique|tom
02-04-2005, 01:12 PM
if your really going to buy then go and get on the old dog and bone
excuse me?!?

Ed Caracappa
02-04-2005, 01:15 PM
unique|tom

my contact info is in my signature. feel free to call or email me. i'm sorry if we missed your email about our GoBOXX they all come to me so it's my bad. i look forward to hearing from you.

Ed

Maven
02-04-2005, 01:18 PM
The people at Boxx are very nice and they are also knowledgeable in all things 3D. So you can call them if you are having a particular issue related to a specific application.

I love my Boxx! :thumbsup:

JMulder
02-04-2005, 01:18 PM
excuse me?!?

Dog and bone = telephone

Don't ask me why, I'm not from the UK.

Shaun_michael
02-04-2005, 03:26 PM
dog and bone = 'phone

Its Cockney Rhyming Slang that originated in the East End of London. You must have heard of "Apples and Pears"=stairs, Frog and Toad=road, trouble and strife=wife and so on... you must have seen Dick Van Dyke's memorable performance with a "cockney" (we like to refer to it as Mockney as it was soooo poor accent! lol) in Mary Poppins??? (I'm English by the way, so I'm not making this up!)

Well, I've gone for an Alienware mobile, the Area 51m 7700 with the following spec:-

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional UK with SP2
Case: Area-51m 7700 Case with 17" WideSXGA+ 1680 x 1050 LCD Display with Built-in Camera - Xeno Grey
Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 560 w/ HT Technology 3.6GHz 1MB Cache
Motherboard: Intel® 915P Chipset Supporting PCI-Express
Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 533MHz - 2 x 1024MB
Video Card: Area-51m 7700 NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Go with 256MB of DDR2 memory
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 NX USB External - 2- pin plug - UK
Hard Drive: Dual 60GB 7200 RPM ATA100 - Hitachi
RAID Configuration: RAID 0 Striping
Portable Storage: Alienware® USB 2.0 256MB Flash Drive
Optical Drive One: 8X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW / 24X CD-RW Combo w/Software
Optical Drive Two: 24x10x24 CD-RW / 8x DVD Combo w/Software
Ethernet NIC: Integrated 10/100Mb Ethernet NIC
Wireless network: Built-In Wireless 802.11a/b/g miniPCI Card
Additional Battery: Additional Primary Lithium-Ion Smart Battery Pack
Security Locks: Targus Combination Notebook Security Cable
Productivity Software: Microsoft® Office 2003 Small Business UK - English
AlienInspection: AlienInspection - Exclusive Integration and Inspection - £50 Value FREE!
Free T-Shirt: Alienware® T-Shirt - White - XL
Warranty: Aliencare Free Phone 1-Year 24/7 Warranty

Its still in production, but nearing the end according to my regualr updates. I would have liked more storage but more meant slower drives in general as far as they were offering. I've noticed that the level of spec available has gone down since I ordered mine though.

I needed something with "workstation" power, with the portability. The sound card was an option that I can leave "at base" as it were, hence why it's external.

Anyways, there's still room to upgrade it to higher spec, and it is certainly powerful enough for my current needs. I'm not sure if Boxx sell in the UK actually, but I'll look them up, as well as SavRow when I look into a normal workstation in the near future.

Dont know if that helps, but at least we've cleared up the "dog and bone" thing :thumbsup:

Shaun

Shaun_michael
02-04-2005, 03:27 PM
...oh by the way - gotta love the free t-shirt - that's gonna make my work so much better *chuckle*

Ed Caracappa
02-04-2005, 03:30 PM
Shaun,

We've got two resellers in the UK. Both are great to work with.

European RAID Arrays, Ltd.
30 Oval Road London NW1 7DE United Kingdom
Contact Person: Sales
Phone: 0207 428 4000 x 5200
Email: Sales@e-raid.co.uk

European RAID Arrays, Ltd.
Hundred End House Hundred End Lane Hesketh Bank United Kingdom
Phone: 01772 814888
Email: Sales@e-raid.co.uk

Reality Computing
Home Farm Shere Road Albury Surrey GU5 9BL United Kingdom
Website: http://www.realitycomputing.com (http://www.realitycomputing.com/)
Phone: 01483 202051
Email: sales@realitycomputing.com

Ed

Shaun_michael
02-04-2005, 03:35 PM
thanks Ed, I'll go and have a butchers (more rhyming slang, butchers hook = look).

mmm, I'll stop there

bRyaN2003
02-04-2005, 04:34 PM
Ed instead of starting a new thread...

Are there any payment plans in the works in the near future....
Like monthly, bi-monthly etc...

Ed Caracappa
02-04-2005, 04:38 PM
Yes! I'm working diligently to get a deal done so that we can offer financing. If it's going to happen it will be in the 3 to 6 weeks.

dmeyer
02-04-2005, 05:08 PM
We bought a few dual Opteron Boxxes at work and couldn't be happier. When our next upgrade round comes up I imagine we'll go BOXX across the board.

I've never used the mobile Boxx except for a short time at Siggraph. The only thing i noticed was that the glare on the screen was unbelievable...perhaps they have fixed this.

We went Boxx after finally getting fed up with Dell's Workstations and support. Now if a part goes out, we call Boxx, and a replacement is usually waiting at the office the next day. Can't get much better than that.

Strang
02-04-2005, 05:09 PM
I am knee deep in Alienware BS right now.

the systems themselves are fine. the speed and support is NOT.

my opinion before you read is. by the time you get your machine you coulda made 3 seperate orders on seperate days with newegg.com. shipped recieved and built the machines before you woulda got your alienware. now read why

not so brief story:

I purchase MJ12 workstation. i THOUGHT i got selected a monitor. glitch in browser (maybe firefox). no big deal. but i also orderd a wireless router. but didn't get the adapter. so when they are doing the "200 point inspection" "build it like it was your own" BS. they shoulda gave me a ring.

"excuse me sir. you realize you didn't have an wireless adapter for your computer? you realize it will not connect to internet with out this?"

"ooh my mistake. please add one."

"btw sir can we review your order?"

"ooh i see. i didn't get a monitor. lets add one before you ship it"

that didn't happen. instead got a computer that didn't have a monitor and couldn't connect to the internet. well i call up. let them know i need a monitor. their monitor kicks me over my limit. so NO monitor. instead the say. you can cancel order. but you get charged a 15% restock fee, just for having the computer sit at my house for a day. (how nice of them). OR you can build another. ship it back. we will refund and ship this one too you. ok i will do that.

I build a cheaper NON workstation machine. JUST so i dont get stuck paying them money for nothing. so ok i have to ship MJ12 back on my dime. i do so. it arrives monday. they dont know its in their warehouse until wendesday of that week!! excuse? "our database takes 24 hrs to update." wha?! get one of your own fast machines for cying out loud. so the MJ12 is sitting in the warehouse for 3 days. now it has to go through accounting. that takes almost 7 days. to get cancelled and credited back. well it is now still in "phase 1" billing. so either they are not done crediting back. or something is wrong and they are waiting for me to call them instead of them calling me.

so i placed the FIRST order on jan 4th. it is now feb 4th. even if my order goes through today. they dont work on weekends. and i am SURE there is parts delay. cause there seems to always be. they still have to build. pack. ship. (i am in florida so that is next day). estimated shipping date on the SECOND order which was placed onJan 22nd,was feb 14th. so i dont know when i am getting my machine.

just like your DCC software purchase... ask about CS from others that own that product.

good luck with Boxx. i got to meet Ed @ Siggraph 04. he gave me many tshirts :)

-Steven

grundelboy
02-04-2005, 08:39 PM
alien ware has dell quality. that is no quality. alienware is bad support too. I would go boxx.

unique|tom
02-04-2005, 09:31 PM
Guyz u just made my decision a lot easier - I had a bad feeling that these citchy designed (but still a lot better than most of the stuff around) workstations of Alienware are shouting too much about how great they r to be that good. Hope Ed noted down everything what was said here and will do his best to keep up the good BOXX work and beware of such "knee deep" rewiews of his brand, the way to the top is really steep and tough but it is sooo easy to fall from the top to the very bottom. Hope BOXX will stay on the top 4ever :D.

Ed, you should thank Alienware and Dell that they become what they r now, I hope u realize what a great opportunity and repsponsibility stands inf front of your company :D - U are given RESPECT from the community - I think it's priceless and u will know what to do with such treasure (except for money :D).
Thx guys for your feedback - you have really helped me out with making up the final decision.
Ed, returning to you. I have forwardedd my mail to your mailbox, but I would also like to continue the topic of "Is BOXX a really reliable wendor?" :twisted: here on the forum.
Are u interested in a forum-dialog about your latest Laptop?
If yes, I posted some of my questions below. They surely cover many topics on on the term "reliable":):

When can we expect the "full Monty" of GoBOXX 2200? I mean avaliability to order.
what is the expected price of minimal/maxed out model of GoBOXX 2200?
How long (from finalizing the order on my side: wiring the money) can it last to receive a fully working machine?
What kind of warranty can i expect being a customer from Poland?
any Free T-Shirts with my order?:twisted: (no T-shirt - no order:D. JK)
Hope these questions won't make any difficulties to answer. One more time thx guys for feedback.

I love my Boxx! Lol what a great customer claim! Would love to say that one day. We need "Apple Phenomenon" (although I don't like their latest "achievements") in PC field. BOXX did u hear that?

Shaun_michael LOL Thx for your indepth reply. I aam amazed about these phrazes. I am Polish so i am not as much accustomed with the latest language issues D.
I love english with all it's live changes. Thx a lot for sorting out the "dog'n'bone" case:thumbsup:

Ed Caracappa
02-04-2005, 09:52 PM
unique|tom,

I don't want to get all misty or anything but, all of us here at BOXX truely feel that we are a part of the CG community. We love what we do because we love what our customers do! I've made friends here at cgtalk and have been fortunate enough to have shared drinks and a few laughs at Siggraph with some of them. For all of us here, theres no greater reward than the positive feedback we get from just doing what we do best...taking care of our customers (friends!).

Clint Welden, who works for me, will be contacting you regarding pricing. We can get you a quote today. Systems will be available in 10 business days with the GeForce Go6800 graphics and in around the end of the month with the FX Go1400 graphics. We can get you a price on both now. Clint will take care of that for you. His email is cwelden@boxxtech.com

Warranty in Poland is the same as it is everywhere else. It's "return to depot" meaning the unit has to come back here for repair.

Every machine we sell comes with a BOXX t-shirt!

Thank you for your kind words!

SheepFactory
02-04-2005, 10:19 PM
Yes! I'm working diligently to get a deal done so that we can offer financing. If it's going to happen it will be in the 3 to 6 weeks.

Now thats the best news i read all day.

Please keep us updated on that Ed , i am in the market for a new workstation and financing will make life so much easier for me.

Ali

unique|tom
02-05-2005, 01:35 AM
unique|tom,

I don't want to get all misty or anything but, all of us here at BOXX truely feel that we are a part of the CG community. We love what we do because we love what our customers do! I've made friends here at cgtalk and have been fortunate enough to have shared drinks and a few laughs at Siggraph with some of them. For all of us here, theres no greater reward than the positive feedback we get from just doing what we do best...taking care of our customers (friends!).

Every machine we sell comes with a BOXX t-shirt!

Thank you for your kind words!You can be sure that if I ever see any review of BOXX product, with similar dissapointment in the customers' words alike these in the posts about Alienware & Dell (posted above), I wil be the first one to quote what u've written above:twisted:, beware.

Thank u on your info about shortcoming avaliability of these notebooks.
I can assure u that I am now 100% convinced to BOXX offer. It may sound suprisingly but I am convinced not because of the technical info you have spreaded on your site, nor the stylish look - even that free T-Shirt isn't as convincing and promising as what u have just posted here above.
Quoting u: "I don't want to get all misty or anything but"... i Trust u... Yup that's what I've just said (wrote).
Even though I am more than sure that your notebook (GoBOXX 2200) will be propably 1/3~1/2 more expensive than the other vendors' solutions I will be glad to be paying back additional credit (i will have to undertake to afford it in full config). Moreover I'll be just as proud to "wear" your logo and to bring "the good news" to my Polish friends "from the industry" that far, far away there is a company that believes in what they do as much as i believe in what I do.
Maybe u think : "unique|tom = lunatic" but for me being able to Trust a company that is stating to be "devoted" to help me on my searches (conceptual and visual part of my work) is a lot lot more than the fancy-shmancy, "out of this world (and area-51)" glossy, shiny bullcrap some companies are pulling through.
I don't know if u have any Polish customers in your data but you just got yourself another true fanboi - this time from Poland.
This is my first impression - second, final one will be after i will run a thorough testing of your laptop. I just hope that I won't be dissapointed with the product after all this "praise the BOXX" stuff I wrote here, I wouldn't handle that:shrug:.

Thx a lot for your efforts on my questions and for a very nice end of my evening. Now I can go peacefully to get some rest with the knowledge of making the right decision on my future "helper".
P.S.I hope to get a nice serial number (close to SN/000001) on my future BOXX Go2200:thumbsup:.

azozel
02-07-2005, 02:07 PM
I wept the day I had to leave my old boxx at my old job. :sad:

This is what I said in another post about alienware " I'd invest in a real system where your money dosn't go toward's somthing resembling a sleek anal sepository. That's probobaly the best place for it too because that's where it can cause the least amount of problems.:thumbsup: J/k man I've heard horror stories about alien ware.
But I'm sure that some people will defend them to the death on this forum but that's my personal point of view on them. I'd get a Boxx."

grundelboy
02-07-2005, 05:46 PM
I hear boxx is best. for support and quality of product. kindof like the sgi of the microsoft side.
They are the best I know of.

essencedesign
02-08-2005, 02:51 AM
Well I bought two boxxs a few months ago,,,they were used,,,and came from some middle man seller...the point is they are KILLER systems...my last project threw 15 million polys at them and they hardley burped.....

but the most important part is,,,,,with only 3 months left on the original warranty...boxx overnight shipped my 4 new CPU fans when I had a little problem..I really feel like I could count on their C.Support right to the end...maybe even then some ;) ....

blah blah blah....go for boxx says mE ))))

dmeyer
02-08-2005, 03:14 AM
Not to spoil the love fest on Boxx but I have identified one major problem with mine...

See, back when I had a Dell Precision, the drive and RAID system would go out at least once a week. While this may sound annoying, what it really did was provide me with at least 1.5 days a week of relative quiet where I could catch up on work email and watch Gnomon dvds while the tech guy haggled with Dell support on the phone, or reinstalled my entire system (after fixing the RAID). I'd even go and pick up some edit jobs on the G5 down the hall. It was nice...I had a lot of different ways I could choose to spend my down time.

Now I have a BOXX.

Problem is, I don't have that time any more. I don't have to wait for renders as long. I don't have that day each week where the death beep of the Raid kicks in and I get the day off. Gnomon dvds are now stacking up unwatched as I am able to work EVERY DAY. Thanks Boxx, thanks a lot.

BOXX KILLED MY COFFEE BREAKS AND I WANT REVENGE :twisted:

grundelboy
02-08-2005, 08:55 PM
dmeyer start smoking so you can go out and take a break.

unique|tom
02-15-2005, 06:15 PM
I thought I made my mind (go for GoBOXX) but as the time for sending order to BOXX is getting closer I tried to do a lot of research and I'd like to share the results with those of you who will encounter similar "Which Vendor for 73h w1n)". I used info mainly from CGTalk forums and ResellerRatings.com. (http://www.resellerratings.com)which i found very helpful (with all of the reviews and ratings). Below I present similar configs from three vendors that seem to be the most reliable (Falcon-nw.com seems to be a really overpriced solution).
The cases of notebooks (compared below) are the same i also think that the "insides"are the same as well.
Hypersonic with 4GB of RAM GeForce 6800 Ultra and WUXGA LCD for 200$ more than GoBOXX (regular GForce 6800, 2GB RAM, WXGA LCD) seems to be a better deal. The Voodoo config seems to be a second config (after Hypersonic) in this comparison, although overpriced.
Problem with Hypersonic seems to be in the customer service performance. Customers wrote about lack of communication while processing the orders, also the deadlines are often not met (several days of latency) but they also say they when their machines finally arrived they were amazed by the "finish touch" and the performance. BOXX is being told to be the most reliable (although not popular at all on resellerratings.com) and customer friendly but seems to have smallest offer from all three (graphics, LCD, RAM).
What are your opinions on BOXX, Hypersonic, Voodoo?

GoBOXX 2200 (http://www.boxxtech.com/products/configurator.asp?ModelSeriesID=98) 5.589,00$ ((ratings six-month: 10.00, review count: 1!!)

Pentium® 4 Model 550 with HT Technology (3.4GHz)
2GB DDRII 533 (4 x 512MB DIMM)
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Go 256MB DDR3
17" TFT WUXGA 1680X1050 LCD
RAID 0 - 120GB 7200rpm (2 x 60GB IDE)
DVD/CDRW combo drive (with NERO and WinDVD 5 software)
8X Double-Layer DVD±R/RW Burner (with NERO and WinDVD 5 software)
TV Tuner card 1 Bluetooth + Wireless 802.11b/g option
Windows XP Professional with SP2
Additional AC Adapter
Additional battery
Targus Rolling Case
WARRANTY:
BOXX 3 year limited warranty (ftp://www.boxxtech.com/pub/warranty/BOXX%20Limited%20Warranty%20Offer-3yr%20%289-03%29.pdf) on all BOXX systems
COMMENTS: case of 3y warranty is something misleading - on the main product page there is stated: GoBOXX Warranty: 1 year RTD [Return To Depot] - it's the same info which i've heard from BOXX sales representative - they don't offer 3-year Warranty on GoBOXX systems which i find intriguing and make me ask a question: Why?. BOXX rep. couldn't tell me why. Ed? Can u clear this things up?

Hypersonic Aviator EX7 (http://www.hypersonic-pc.com/2001/systems-mobile.htm)5.769,00$ (ratings six-month:7,86,lifetime: 8,93,review count: 105)

17" Desktop Replacement Laptop Featuring Intel Pentium 4
3.60GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 560
Intel® 915P+ICH6 LGA-775 Mobile Motherboard (EX7)
4×1024MB PC4200 DDR2-533 SODIMM (Corsair or Crucial)
Nvidia GeForce 6800 Go PCI-Express 256MB DDR3 (w/ DVI & TV Out & Dual Display)
Built-in TV Tuner with Remote Control for EX7
Built-in ATA Hardware RAID Controller
RAID(0) Striped Drive Configuration -Performance Optimized
2×60GB 7200rpm Ultra ATA Hard Drive w/ 8MB Cache (Extended Operation) Free Upgrade
8X DVD / 24X-10X-24 CD-R/W Combo Drive w/ Recording Software
8X DVD ± R/W Drive Dual Layer w/ DVD Recording Software
7 in 1 Flash Media Card Reader Bay
Additional 12-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery for Aviator EX7 (Spare)
17" WUXGA 1920x1280 Wide-Screen Display w/ Super Clear Glossy Surface
Guaranteed No Dead or Partially-Lit Pixels
PCMCIA Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 ZS Notebook
ntegrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Internal 802.11b+g Turbo 108Mbps Wireless Mini PCI Network Adapter
Integrated V.92 56K Fax/Data Modem
MS Windows XP Professional CD & Manual SP2 Pre-Installed & Configured
International Mini Travel Pack
Targus DEFCON™ 1 Ultra Notebook Security System
WARRANTY:
3 Year Accidental Damage Protection (System and LCD)
3 Year 24/7 Toll-Free Tech Support Platinum Service & Lifetime Support

Voodo ENVYm:790 (http://voodoopc.com/) 6.002,00$ (ratings six-month: 10.00,lifetime: 9,78, review count: 252)

Intel Pentium4 550 3.4GHz
GiG Voodoo DDR2 533MHz SODIMM Kit
Disable RAID (less risk more reliability)
60 GiG 7200 RPM HGST Travelstar
60 GiG 7200 RPM HGST Travelstar
ENVY 7-in-1 Internal Card Reader
8× ENVY DVD+-RW Slot Load DVD & CD Writer
8× ENVY DVD+-RW Dual Layer Tray-Load DVD & CD Writer
Voodoo ENVY m:7XX Video Camera
17" TFT WUXGA 1900X1200 LCD
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Go Ultra 256 MB graphics
ENVY TV-Tuner USB 2.0
Envy Immersive Theater Audio System
Creative Labs Audigy 2ZS for ENVY
Envy Theaterbook Immersive Subwoofer
Voodoo ENVY Multi-Wireless Card
ENVY Gigabit High Speed Ethernet
Internal 56K Fax
Windows XP Professional
Voodoo Stealth XL Metal Notebook Case
Retractable Laptop Ethernet Cable
ENVY m:790 Additional Power Adapter
WARRANTY:
Voodoo PlatinumCare 3 Year

Ed Caracappa
02-15-2005, 06:19 PM
I can get you the FX1400 graphics for the GoBOXX. We just haven't launched it on the web yet. That should happen this week. As for the warranty, we will offer an extended warranty for years two and three. This is something that we will offer through a third party and we haven't finalized the deal yet. That should also be completed this week.

Ed

unique|tom
02-15-2005, 06:45 PM
Thx Ed for such quick response (impressive) but FX1400 is not the best option cos i am no 3D guru to make use of it's power (although thx a lot for recommendation and interest in "solving" this case), I mostly work on Video Compositing, Photoshoping, Paintering etc. so more RAM would be a much better addition. I do also play sometimes so the Go 6800 will be good enough.
As for the extended warranty held by third-party company I must say i am a little bit dissapointed cos I've read many reviews from different vendors' customers who had to deal the tough way with these so called "third-party companies" and didn't have any help in this from the original vendor... they weren't satisfied with that, that's for sure.

Voodoo guarantees this:
"During the warranty period, Voodoo will repair or replace, at its sole discretion, the defective hardware system, free of charge for labor and parts... Our PlatinumCare is better than the usual "Onsite Service" because the people the built the machine fix it.
We do not use any third parties to fix our PCs with the PlatinumCare Warranty."

Any chances on similar warranty in BOXX?

Ed Caracappa
02-15-2005, 06:47 PM
Call them. As far as I know the warranty is the same, RTD and through a third party. They might not admit it and...I could be wrong!

alanmac
02-16-2005, 12:04 AM
the advantage of a third party warranty is that if your manufacturer goes out of business, heaven forbid this should happen but it does in life, you still have the warranty on your kit.

DanSilverman
02-16-2005, 12:21 AM
Since there was such overwhelming support for BOXX (and why not) I thought I would share my experience with Alienware. I got an Alienware mobile workstation and it has and continues to work wonderfully for me. In some ways it iworks more smoothly than my desktop workstation. The people at Alienware were friendly, answered my questions and I got my system in a timely manner. I also received emails all along the development cycle of my laptop so I knew what state it was in all the way until it reached my door. I got all I ordered and more. So, I am very pleased with the Alienware mobile station I have and their service. Perhaps I am an exception, but I did not want to see mostly negative things posted about Alienware in this thread.

Silence32
02-16-2005, 12:57 AM
i was on the boxx side and i find something a little strange ;)

on your fist side you say:
Buy discreet 3ds max and a BOXX Workstation. We'll take $1000 off your order. Limited time (until March 15, 2005) - U.S. and Canada Customers ONLY. Call for details. 1-877-877-BOXX.

but if you put 3dsMax on the list it cost 3918Dollar, on Discreet it cost 3495Dollar :deal:

ehmm did lift the price up 423 Dollar to Reduce them back again?

Caus im not US or Canada its only theoretic :D

but silence see everything :bounce:

coryc
02-16-2005, 02:13 AM
I have a couple Alienware machines - a laptop and a desktop. Both have run fine so far and I would have to disagree that they are built low quality. My desktop is made up of name brand components just like my custom built machine.

As far as support and service I agree that there has been some sort of mass loss of brain function at Alienware. I bought my laptop about 18 months ago and I had no problems. The order showed up several weeks ahead of the predicted date. The desktop I ordered right before christmas. They have production status web page where you can see where you order is in the factory. Or so they say. More likely it is hooked to a magic 8 ball. After several days of my order sitting at 'in queue to be assembled' I gave them a call. I was told they were running a little behind because of the holidays but it would be built within 48 hours. Several days later is was still waiting for assembly. Knowing that a computer can be built from scratch in a few hours, I thought that was odd. I called back and asked WTF. This time it was a very vague excuse that something wasn't right with the order so it was held up for a little while, nothing was backordered and the system didn't fail the final test, it was just that something that couldn't be named caused a delay. The kicker was when the guy told me to 'forget about your computer for the next week or two'. I finally got the machine about 3 weeks after ordering it. They double shipped the UPS, speakers, and software I ordered so I refused the doubles. A month later I get an email from them saying they issued an RA # for my cancelled items along with a phone call from them regarding my return. I had to call them back and tell them they double shipped items and that is what they got back.

I don't know that I would buy another one but they run fine and there are no problems as long as you don't have to call them.

Strang
02-16-2005, 02:58 AM
agreed cory.

i for one never said their were bad computers. although i wouldn't know how good they are cause i havent got to USE mine yet. but yeah CS is horrible

CGTalk Moderation
02-16-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.