PDA

View Full Version : PSP launch Date for US

hanger102
02-03-2005, 05:43 PM
"Officials from Sony Computer Entertainment America have finally announced the launch details of the PlayStation Portable console in North America. The console will be released on March 24th for $249.99."

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=4906

Signal2Noise
02-03-2005, 06:20 PM
And this is CG news because...?

A side note: G4/TechTV has been covering the PSP quite a bit recently. It really sounds like PSP won't be as revolutionary as we are hoping. Great graphics and all but it appears Sony will still have a tight rein on what the PSP will and won't do. Also, so far the game titles really suck.

maxrelics
02-03-2005, 06:34 PM
What the hell are they thinking with the price? Sony has claimed in other things i've read that they're trying to be more friendly when it comes to stuff like mp3s and thier disk format, but jeeze, this really doesn't look like that's the case at all.

hanger102
02-03-2005, 07:00 PM

hummm lets see, there are over 100 content developers and publishers worldwide that are creating PSP titles. And I don't know if you've been following but most games now use cg. And for people like me who do work in the game industry, I would like to know the price of the product I'm creating for.

Renderman_XSI
02-03-2005, 07:35 PM
It really sounds like PSP won't be as revolutionary as we are hoping. Great graphics and all but it appears Sony will still have a tight rein on what the PSP will and won't do. Also, so far the game titles really suck.

who said the PSP was revolutionary? rofl.. i dont know of any Sony fanboy who ever remotely thought it was going to be revolutionary. Like most people, im buying the PSP for the games first(wifi included), secondly music and video, those 3 things arent revolutionary at all, but having them all in one unit is awesome, and worth the price tag. IMO i dont need all that fancy PDA,phone, GPS, functionality.

The game title are Japan arent that great, but thats subjective to taste,however they do have wide genre to pick from thats good. US launch title will add more to the mix(GTA anyone?)

edit: btw 249 is for the PSP value pack, not standard pack. Standard pack might be out in a couple months after launch date, at 199 USD + tax.

Beamtracer
02-04-2005, 02:13 AM
If this ain't CG news I don't know what is!

Hey, it looks pretty cool...
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050204/capt.fx11002040044.sony_psb_fx110.jpg

Kion
02-04-2005, 04:59 AM
sony is going to release firmware upgrades that allow speech to text, web browser, etc., and it will be very open ended, i think G4 got it wrong anyways thats what i hear. peace out

Air.Borne
02-04-2005, 04:59 AM
Forcing a bundle upon consumers who were expecting to be paying prices closer towards what Japanese consumers have been paying (and with the competition from the DS) is a little awkward on the part of Sony.

I foresee a few cancellation of preorders due to this news ... heh, I work at EB!

js33
02-04-2005, 07:00 AM
I thought it was only going to be $150. Oh well. $250 is still not bad considering the capabilities. The main drawback I see is no HD. How hard could it have been to put one of those micro hard drives that the iPod uses? It couldn't add much to the cost and if it added maybe $100 more it would have increased the usefulness much more than that.
It could have been an iPod killer especially with the ability to play video.

So what are you supposed to put your own movies and mp3s on? Memory sticks? Surely that would be pointless.

Is Sony going to make UMD-R's? If you can't burn your own disks or transfer stuff to a hard drive this thing will be a lot less attractive to me.

Sure it's main thing is games and movie playback but how many companies are going to release movies on a UMD except for Sony?

Cheers,
JS

iayestaran
02-04-2005, 12:22 PM
"What the hell are they thinking with the price?"

"Forcing a bundle upon consumers who were expecting to be paying prices closer towards what Japanese consumers have been paying (and with the competition from the DS) is a little awkward on the part of Sony."

it's pretty close to what japanese consumers were paying, what are you talking about? My sister in law payed $280 for the bundle, so it's actually $30 cheaper! It's also for the bundle and from what I hear the american bundle includes a game or a movie of spiderman2 so that's another $45 you're getting that japanese consumers didn't

NanoGator
02-04-2005, 03:41 PM

... it's a 3D system creating CG graphics.

NanoGator
02-04-2005, 03:43 PM
Ack! $250?! Against a $150 system with a pack-in game and a more interesting interface!?!?

CGTalk Moderation
02-04-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.