PDA

View Full Version : Apples (reworking an older piece)

balistic
02-03-2005, 02:31 PM
I was looking through my work for things to submit to Expose 3 and found my old "Apples (http://www.bprince.com/ApplesRevised.html)" (nudity) piece, but didn't think it was strong enough to make the cut. I've learned a lot about painting in the two years since I originally made the picture, so, on a whim, I decided to see if I could turn it into something more book-worthy.

http://www.bprince.com/ApplesExposeB.jpg

This is after a couple hours of repainting last night. I've still got a lot of issues I want to address, but I'm already much happier with the piece. I haven't entirely decided yet what else I'm going to scrap and re-paint, though the apple tree seems likes a possible target for a ground-up redo. Part of the reason for clothing the girl was that the scene was never intended to be biblical, but people usually assumed she was supposed to be Eve. Hopefully the undies will fix that.

Anyway, I'll post progress shots here, if I make any progress :) If you have any thoughts about the painting, I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thanks for looking.

ditchman
02-03-2005, 04:31 PM
is it just me, or are her arms a bit on the short side? there seem to be a lot of tree top too.
very cool composition though.

balistic
02-03-2005, 05:52 PM
is it just me, or are her arms a bit on the short side? there seem to be a lot of tree top too.
very cool composition though.

Yes, her arms are too short now. I should've mentioned that I plan to do a lot of work on the figure. The old one was too many heads tall, and I'm not crazy about the pose. I'm keeping her face, but the rest is open to reconstruction.

Thanks for the feedback ditchman.

bobtilton
02-03-2005, 06:28 PM
Sweet painting - nice subtle values.

Right on about the top of the tree - I think there is a way to provide contrast and shape up there without locking the eye there compositionally. Maybe some of that golden light finding it's way inside of the canopy.

Ilikesoup
02-03-2005, 08:16 PM
Apples = autumn = too chilly for just undies

Bottom half of the painting is really beautifull -- the grass, the tree trunk, the bg trees and the mountain. I'm biased toward New England scenes, so I think she'd look really nice in overalls, a straw hat and nuthin' else :drool:. As for the foliage, you've got some nice variety in lighting in the lower leaves. The rest is just noise (sorry) that can easily be cropped out.

supremo
02-04-2005, 12:49 AM
The tree at the top is a bit busy like Ilikesoup said. However, I kinda like the composition - the tree balances out the ground a little bit. I'm siding with Bobtilton, keep it and just tone it down a little bit.

The rest of the painting is awesome, short arms aside. And even that isn't very obvious till you look closer.

So tell me, is it sunup or sundown?

cuppacam
02-05-2005, 04:49 AM
I love the lighting of the piece and agree with the "lose the top of the tree theory. It detracts from the composition and takes away the power of the light hitting the girl.

Arms are a little on the short side too.

I don't think the whole tree needs to be reworked. Maybe cropping the image a bit to bring the focus more towards the girl.

My two cents.

Otherwise can't wait to see the next stage of where you're headed.

Ilikesoup
02-05-2005, 02:48 PM
balistic,
I just noticed that the leaves on your apple tree start rather high and all your branches point upward. Keep in mind --

Leaves grow on the side and underside of a branch as well as the top. Also, they don't spring directly from the thicker branches, but from offshoots that are thin like twigs.

The longer a branch grows away from the trunk, the more an apple growing on the branch will cause it to droop. From some of the images I've found, it looks like apple trees generally have a wide canopy with long branches like in this photo: http://fusion.babson.edu/activedit/images/ACF189B.jpg

I realize that a drooping branch will make it unnecessary for the girl to reach and stretch for an apple, but you could offset that by removing the rock that she's standing on.

I see that you took the time to paint the tree branches before you added the leaves. If you've still got them on separate layers you might consider redoing the leaves, having them follow the flow of the branches and leaving :D enough space between them to see the sky.

Hope that helps.

balistic
02-06-2005, 03:43 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it.

CGTalk Moderation
02-06-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.