PDA

View Full Version : Copyright Issues?

kennez
02-03-2005, 11:32 AM
I am writing a script for an animated film that I am planning on making, that will be based entirely on fact (real fact, not the sort of 'fact' that was used in U571, suggesting that they captured the first Enigma coding machine, but thats another post entirely!)

Now, in my research, I have come across some radio transcripts of communications, and also details from letters/diaries, but I found these in one of the books that I am researching from.

Would I be able to use these radio communications transcripts as dialogue in my film without any copyright issues?

Although they are coming from a book, surely they cannot fall under copyright laws, as alot of the were spoken work.

Any ideas on this, or would I need to change the wording to get around this (although that would ruin the point of the story, as some things are integral to the script)

Any ideas on this one?

spec24
02-07-2005, 04:31 PM
factual, historical material cannot be copyrighted, it can however be plagerized - like JFK's speech. It would be perfectly acceptable to use his speech in anything you wanted to as long as you weren't claiming it was your speech. Letter's and such things are a little different. I'm not sure on this but in most cases you would need the letter writer's and possibly the recipient's permission to use it. Of course this is only speculation on my part. I believe letter's written by those who are now deceased is not an issue.... in most cases. Copyright laws are nebulous things - there are no black and whites. Good luck.

CGTalk Moderation
02-07-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.