PDA

View Full Version : Slow viewport update with trajectories on. (max7)

ulukai33
02-03-2005, 10:31 AM
Hi people of good will.

I'm trying to animate a character with TCB controllers used for rotation of arms. It's rather simple rig with only 2 IK (history independent) chains for legs, no constrains, no wiring.

I'm using "show trajectories in viewport" as some kind of replacement for f-curves. But when I turn on the trajectory for wrist (for example) and I'm trying to fine-tune the motion of hand by rotating the arm (shoulder) the performance is very low (everything is damn slow, I just can't hit the right pose). (AthlonXP 3000+,1GB RAM)

Is this slow-down normal? Are there any "tricks" to speed it up, work-arounds, maybe a better way how to deal with TCB (euler is not option :) ).

:curious:

gilley
02-03-2005, 08:14 PM
No, this is not normal. I use TCB rotations every day at work and don't have any slowdown. Could be something with your video card though cause I know my ATI video card at home has wierd problems showing trajectories in Direct3D mode. When I switch to OpenGL mode it clears things up but the card is still slower than Geforce cards when displaying wires/trajectories.

heavyness
02-03-2005, 08:46 PM
also make sure you don't have a copy of any bones on top of each other [happen to me once, f*ct everything up]

also, try merging the whole file into a new file, might be corrupted in some way.

but its probably what gilley said...

ulukai33
02-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Thanks to both of you.

But nothing helped. I think that that slow-down is just the way things in max go.

But I have found a small work around: My animation is for example 250 frames long, and it helps a lot if I have only short time range (50 - 75 frames) shown in max - trajectory curve is shorter and everything updates faster....

Anyway thanks for help.

CGTalk Moderation
02-04-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.