PDA

View Full Version : OS X CommandLine Render

vectormodeling
02-03-2005, 09:18 AM
I just installed Maya 6.5 on my system (OS X of course), and now everytime I want to do a command line render i have to type:

/Applications/Alias/maya6.5/Maya.app/Contents/bin/render

instead of just:

render

How can I tell the terminal to remember where the render command is at? Its probably really simple, but I only recently discoverd that there are more to computers than their GUIs.

mimo8
02-03-2005, 11:02 AM
thats the command I use to start a rendering (still 6.01)
render -renderer mr -s 0 -e 0 /Documents/maya/projects/909/scenes/testfiles/teapot_joz_mod1.mb

but I am sure you allready know :rolleyes:

beaker
02-03-2005, 10:41 PM
You need to set maya into your $PATH environment variable for the shell your using. If your using bash, tcsh, csh then you need a .bashrc, .tcshrc, .cshrc file that declares certain folders that can be executed from without giving the whole path to it. Just search for .bashrc/.tcshrc/.cshrc on the internet. Most of the pages will be for linux, but thats ok because the format is almost exactly the same since OSX uses a BSD subsystem.

Another option is to create a "$HOME/.MacOSX/environment.plist" file which is an OSX only thing. It is a xml file that all the shells read in along with the gui.

mimo8
02-04-2005, 12:11 AM
beaker you are a freak ... you must have gone deep into maya´s and linux soupkitchen.
take this as a compliment :D

vectormodeling
02-04-2005, 12:29 AM
Beaker,

I ran some searches and was generally confused by what i found and read, then I tried to make an enironment.plist but it didn't work. Do you think you could give me a couple pointers on how to get my .plist to work, I'm still pretty confused.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Apoclypse
02-05-2005, 01:43 AM
you mean that os x doesn't have an easy way of adding environment variables? Wow, thats weird I could have sworn they had something similar to the windows environment variable thingy. If not they should definately start working on it.

vectormodeling
02-05-2005, 02:07 AM
OS X probably does have an easy way to do it, i'm just to stupid to figure it out.

CGTalk Moderation
02-05-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.