PDA

View Full Version : 7 new gnomon dvds

BiGMaCHiNe
02-03-2005, 04:01 AM
I just noticed for the first time (ive been looking at least 3 times a day for the past month ) that gnomon have released another 7 dvds.

They look sensational, especially eric hansons contribution which i for one have been highly anticipating for many months.

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com

JesseDavis
02-03-2005, 04:27 AM
sweeeeet. Very interesting topics! I wish I had more money to get a couple =\

poly-phobic
02-03-2005, 04:33 AM
http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/wise.gif bah... enough modeling..
i want to see some advanced rigging/set up DVDs

belail
02-03-2005, 06:09 AM
Excellent, the Eric Hanson ones look very tempting, I imagine what's in them wouldn't be very hard to adapt to XSI. The Alex Alvarez one looks pretty epic too (8 hours? I wonder if people will still complain about the price).

I was hoping for info on the Aaron Sims and Iain McCaig dvds but I guess I'll have to wait a biit longer for them.

BiGMaCHiNe
02-03-2005, 06:48 AM
indeed. so was i, as well as the second paintfx dvd.. but they can wait.. my budget cant even afford this bundle. Particulary since i spent my christmas bonus on decembers releases.

woe is the life of the poor struggling student. :(

dotTom
02-03-2005, 06:49 AM
Can't get enough modeling, just ordered Alex's 2 disc new ZBrush title. Erm, wasn't there meant to be some XSI creature development titles due out? Are these still in the pipe?

BiGMaCHiNe
02-03-2005, 07:17 AM
Im pretty sure the XSI dvds are coming out next month.. Everything seems to be a month behind when they were intially proposed to be released.

JDex
02-03-2005, 07:44 AM
The Alverez title (while I am sure it is stellar) seems very out of place in this particular bundle... Seems strange to have to get a Zbrush character title if you want to get the bundle on digital sets/photogammetry/HDRI creation...

dotTom
02-03-2005, 08:02 AM
The Alverez title (while I am sure it is stellar) seems very out of place in this particular bundle... Seems strange to have to get a Zbrush character title if you want to get the bundle on digital sets/photogammetry/HDRI creation...

Out of place? Maybe, but speaking personally I love Gnomon's modelling titles and Alex's stuff is always cool. I'd hate to think Gnomon held titles back for reasons of "concurrent release consistency".

BiGMaCHiNe
02-03-2005, 08:05 AM
yeah the bundle is meant to be more of a 'most recent releases' package for ppl like myself, that just buy almost every dvd they bring out :p

dotTom
02-03-2005, 08:11 AM
yeah the bundle is meant to be more of a 'most recent releases' package for ppl like myself, that just buy almost every dvd they bring out :p

Yeah, I have a serious Gnomon habit too, perhaps we need Gnomon Anonymous for rabid fans.

BiGMaCHiNe
02-03-2005, 08:13 AM
LOL

My wallet seems to think thats a great idea. Particulary since the prices have been raised on some of these newer titles.

Zeicon
02-03-2005, 08:40 AM
These Gnomon guys must be making a fortune...

Grgeon
02-03-2005, 08:42 AM
Where did you hear that there's Iain Mccaig dvd's coming soon? what kind of info do you have on them?

dvd's look good. A hair/fur one would be cool for the future. 8hrs on the zbrush dvd?? wowza!

George

belail
02-03-2005, 08:44 AM
Where did you hear that there's Iain Mccaig dvd's coming soon? what kind of info do you have on them?

dvd's look good. A hair/fur one would be cool for the future. 8hrs on the zbrush dvd?? wowza!

George

Looks for Alex's post on this page http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=191762&page=7&pp=15&highlight=gnomon

He names some of the upcoming dvds, Iain McCaig's among them.

Grgeon
02-03-2005, 08:47 AM
Awesome dude, thanks.

George

ajsfuxor
02-03-2005, 09:15 AM
Are the Digital Set series DVD covering Mental Ray entirely? eg...rendeing in different layer IN MR? Or does it only cover the software renderer in rendering in layers?

They do sound very good :)

BiGMaCHiNe
02-03-2005, 11:51 AM
It doesnt seem to say specifically in the 3rd dvd whether its software/MR.

However the 2nd dvd does go into GI and HDRI so perhaps the layers are broken down into MR passes.

embodiedform
02-03-2005, 03:49 PM
If anyone missed it here is info from Alex on the next batch from another thread:

Mid-late February (20+ titles):

Aaron Sims (Character Design with Photoshop/XSI/DeepPaint/Zbrush)
Ethan Summers (Paint Effects)
David Schoneveld (Fluids)
Christian Lorenz Scheurer (Matte Painting)
Iain McCaig (Visual Storytelling)
Scott Robertson (Rendering and Design)
Mayan Escalante (Maya for Games)
Paul Campion (Texturing)

AlexAlvarez
02-03-2005, 07:12 PM
Heya,

Thanks for the positive response everyone.
Regarding the upcoming DVDs:

Late February:
Aaron Sims (Character Design with Photoshop/XSI/DeepPaint/Zbrush)
Iain McCaig (Visual Storytelling)
Scott Robertson (Rendering and Design)

Late March:

Christian Lorenz Scheurer (Matte Painting)
Mayan Escalante (Maya for Games)
Paul Campion (Texturing with Photoshop)
Ethan Summers (Paint Effects)
David Schoneveld (Fluids)

The March titles were pushed back just to pace ourselves a little bit. :)
We will be adding news on the site regarding the late-Feb releases later next week.

-Alex

Zeicon
02-03-2005, 07:17 PM
Sounds good Alex... can't wait. Just ordered a bunch of DVD's :>

KOKE
02-03-2005, 07:25 PM
Awesome, im moving to XSI soon so it will be good to have some extra help.

All the new DVDs look so good I just wish I could buy them all (both analog and digital).

Hey Alex your DVDs rock, I have quite a lot of them (old ones) and you and the rest of gnomon team manage to make complicate things look simple by good teaching skills.
You all prove that you master your program of choice and techiniques.

Two thumbs up for Gnomon :thumbsup::thumbsup:

:D

ajsfuxor
02-03-2005, 10:24 PM
Hi Alex

Just want to say congrats on such an amazing job. I bought most of the new DVD's and they are extremely useful in my day to day work. Something no post house should be without. Looking forward to these new ones too.

BiGMaCHiNe
02-03-2005, 10:32 PM
That sounds fanastic.. I was expecting/hoping for Sean Mill's folllow up from humanoid modelling to be included in one of those releases tho :(

AlexAlvarez
02-04-2005, 02:54 AM
I believe Sean is working on that one next week, so I'd imagine that will be released in April... Sean got sidetracked with some modeling work we gave him that took a couple months.

-Alex

BiGMaCHiNe
02-04-2005, 03:48 AM
A couple of months eh?

Man, id love to see the fruits of that labor

darktding
02-04-2005, 06:05 AM
Hi Alvarez, I am very eagerly waiting for those renderman dvds that are rumored to come from Gnomon by Saty. Any hopes or news on them? I am willing to buy them in advance if there if hope for a release in this year.
Cheers.

BiGMaCHiNe
02-04-2005, 06:08 AM
renderman dvds? wow, thats fantastic news...

AlexAlvarez
02-04-2005, 08:23 AM
Eric Hanson and Saty are both working on Renderman titles, but they will likely not be released until the summer so I can't really give any details at this point... but yes, they're in the pipe. :)

-Alex

dotTom
02-04-2005, 08:26 AM
Eric Hanson and Saty are both working on Renderman titles, but they will likely not be released until the summer so I can't really give any details at this point... but yes, they're in the pipe. :)

-Alex

Hi Alex, any chance you'll be covering Pixar's new integrated RenderMan for Maya plug-in as part of these titles?

AlexAlvarez
02-04-2005, 08:36 AM
Hanson's will cover the new plug-in... he has used Renderman extensively on many films, including MTOR, but the new plug-in requires us to push back the release of any Renderman DVDs until the plug-in has been thoroughly tested.

-Alex

dotTom
02-04-2005, 08:39 AM
Hanson's will cover the new plug-in... he has used Renderman extensively on many films, including MTOR, but the new plug-in requires us to push back the release of any Renderman DVDs until the plug-in has been thoroughly tested.

-Alex

Wow, thanks for the fast reply Alex. This is great news, these titles are definately on my Must Have list. What with the ramped up output of The Gnomon Workshop these days, do you still get much time to do your own art? :)

BiGMaCHiNe
02-04-2005, 08:58 AM
Woot! this is fantastic news..

embodiedform
02-04-2005, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the update Alex-

I am really looking forward to getting a hold of your Zbrush title!

Just curious, any reason for the different price structure for a few of the new titles (I'm guessing this just reflects the extended length of some titles, yours included)

Keep up the Great Work!

darktding
02-04-2005, 11:34 PM
Thanks Alvarez on the update, I am very eager on those particular renderman titles.

AlexAlvarez
02-04-2005, 11:47 PM
Well, pricing has to do with the cost of production, which is determined by how long it takes someone to put together a DVD. Eric Hanson began working on his DVDs in August, so it took him five months... a lot of effort went into them, they cost a little more to make as a result, so we have to charge a little more. In regards to my DVD, it is 8 hours of content. As most DVDs are 2 hours long, this should have been $280. Instead of breaking it up into multiple DVDs, I figured I'd give people a break. With DVDs that I make I can make this kind of decision since its my company. :) Plus I really am excited by Zbrush and want to help the community grow. I know that 2005 is going to be the year that they bar is substantially raised due to this amazing program.

-Alex

PixelVampire
02-06-2005, 08:23 PM
Digital set 3-Rendering and compositiing.

How relevant will this DVD be for a non Shake user? I only have After effects.
The content is very interesting but the Shake part makes me think that one has to be Shake user?

Any comments ?

Edit- How much % of the content is based inside Shake and how much inside Maya?
Anyone? Thanks

Ehanson
02-07-2005, 05:07 AM
pixelvamp-

The title is around 2/3 Shake and 1/3 render pass setups in Maya. In regards to an earlier question, these passes are more based on custom specialty passes to address sets and background integration. I ultimately used the Maya renderer but the passes could be done anywhere. The first chapter shows sample passes in a basic scene done in MR and Rman as examples. As regards applicability to AE, it illustrates the backbone thought process of a professional comp w/ some Shake-specific info for Z depth integration, but most of it could be applied toward any app. That particular title came out very well and should help anyone getting started w/ node-based compositing..

Grgeon
02-07-2005, 10:56 PM
post deleted.

George

opus13
02-07-2005, 11:35 PM
i feel like im missing something here.

these are dvd based tutorials, correct? is there anything more?

lots of people seem to get really excited to shell out $70+ for dvd's of... tutorials.

davijin
02-08-2005, 12:12 AM

lots of people seem to get really excited to shell out $70+ for dvd's of... tutorials.

Would you rather pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for training? Through these dvd's you can get training from great, industry experienced artists without all the expences of traveling, housing and the class itself. If you weigh the cost of the dvd with the actual amount it would run you to take a class in 2d/3d art anywhere you would see that $70 bucks for a training dvd isnt bad.

ps. thx to Alex and the rest of the crew at gnomon for bringing us such quality training material.

kwshipman
02-08-2005, 12:48 AM

I have 6 DVDs so far, (4 of Feng's and two sculpture) and they are worth every penny. Of course I get a student discount, and bought them in a bundle for an extra discount, but I will buy some more pretty soon. I can't really say why they are worth the money, you just have to watch them to see. It is more than just turorials.

BiGMaCHiNe
02-08-2005, 12:57 AM
I just finished a ba degree here in brisbane in 3d animation, and that does not nearly compare to the training/knowledge that can be gained from the fantastic group of artists at gnomon. If I lived in LA. or had the money to study at Gnomon, i'd be there in a heartbeat. But i cant, so i have to settle for the next best thing. Their training dvds.

I have 15 so far, and im intending on ordering the latest 7 bundle ( as soon as i can afford ),
i'm constantly blown away from the amount I learn from watching those dvds, the first time, and more each time i view it.

You cant put a price on industry experience, and you'll still need to work your butt off to get there. But it does help to learn from some of the leaders/most sought after professionals in the industry.

Thx again to alex, eric and sean and everyone else at gnomon.

DangerAhead
02-08-2005, 02:20 AM
I don't think "tutorials" is a bad word.

Neither is $70 per. I usually think about the hours and hours I would have had to endure to learn all the pitfalls myself... $70 is pretty cheap.

There is a LOT of under-the-hood knowledge in these DVDs from people who have paved the industry for us. They'll help you watch out for Gotchas, etc.

If you've never owned a Gnomon DVD, you'll never know.

Lambert854
02-08-2005, 05:10 AM
I own all digital and analog videos except for this new batch. I spend most of my evenings after work in front of my computer watching a gnomon DVD and following along. I don't work in the CG field nor have I had any artistic training; so I guess this is more of a hobby at this point.

I'm passionate about learning everything I can about Maya and now Zbrush. There are times when I lay down at night and fall asleep thinking about modeling certain objects in my head. Is that a sickness?

I will say that I love every DVD that gnomon has produced and will continue to purchase every title they release to keep my collection going. They produce the best content on the market and I hope they continue to add new titles to their collection often. I also think they deserve every penny of profit for their time and efforts.

Thank you Alex and all of your hard work.

PixelVampire
02-08-2005, 09:01 AM
Jesus Lambert! you got all of them! WOW! How long will it take to get through them all? 5 years :-)
Lucky guy ;-)

Lambert854
02-08-2005, 01:31 PM
I have a few that I haven't watched yet like deformers, expressions, mel, and a few from the November releases. I also have a few that I've watched at least 5 times or more.

Maybe one day i'll be able to finish a project and have it placed as front page of cgtalk; that's my immediate goal.

Looking forward to more gnomon's releases and Buzz's online classes.

BiGMaCHiNe
02-08-2005, 01:54 PM
all! holy cow.. I wish i had that much money!

damn the life of the struggling freelancer.

PixelVampire
02-09-2005, 12:52 AM
I can get hold of the older poly texturing DVD 3 and 4 for cheap. They have been replaced by 2 newer DVDs. Is it a mistake if I get the older ones instead of the new ones?
If you agrree that the content is covered is pretty similar then I would rather use the money to get other Gnomon DVDs.

Lamber or anyone what do you think?

OLD DVD-Texturing 3 and 4 contained-

relax UV
Layout UV
Projections
Cut and Sew
UV sets
UV transfer
Fill hole
Merging poysets
Delete UV

Unitiizr UV
Custom Poly display
Automatic mapping
Planar Projection
Smooth UV

---------------------

The old texturing 3 and 4 has been replaced by this-

UV Texture Editor
2D Transform Tools
Planar Mapping

Cut UVs
Sew UVs
Move and Sew UVs

Proxy Objects/UV Transfer
Cylindrical Mapping
Spherical Mapping
Planar Mapping
Cut UVs

Sew UVs
Move and Sew UVs
Layout UVs
Relax UVs
Straighten UV Border

BiGMaCHiNe
02-09-2005, 01:12 AM
Sean Mills character uv mapping dvd is well worth its money in gold. I didnt buy the first uv mapping as it looked as tho the content was fairly similar to the character uv mapping ( i could be wrong ). But yeah, id definitely be going with that dvd over texturing 3 and 4.

rogfa
02-09-2005, 03:53 PM
Alex,

Are there any more dvds coming from Neville Page? His first four were amazing. He talked about upcoming topics like rendering hair and material indication but I haven't heard anymore about them.

Thanks,

Roger

Lambert854
02-10-2005, 03:21 AM
The newer polygon and uv mapping that was released in November are better than the older ones released by far.

In my opinion, Sean Mills is the best instructor that Gnomon has put on the DVD series. Sean Mills DVDs were some of the best that Gnomon produced on the digital side. And no offense, but Jeremy Engleman's DVDs (I think the light/rendering ones) were terrible. Jeremy drove me crazy how he spoke and kept searching for words throughout the DVDs.

Neville produced fantastic analog series and I look forward to more from him.

The November release bundle is worth it's weight in gold.

madmanmagic
02-10-2005, 07:46 PM
Lambert854
The newer polygon and uv mapping that was released in November are better than the older ones released by far.

I am not sure of when the release dates were, but are you saying Sean Mills uv mapping are better than Darrin KRUMWEIDE uv discs?

I do agree with you that Sean Mills is Gnomons best on DVD instructor. I went to Gnomon school for a one week class, I won't mention the teacher but in classroom he was better than on DVD.

I don't want to start a list of who's the best here, all the DVDs are worth the cash.

But in the interest of helping Gnomon succeed as a company I would agree that Sean Mills comes across best on DVD. And for my money you could do every title over again with Sean Mills and I would buy them.

Second runner up are Alex's DVDs and this is not because he is the president and I'm looking for freebies. But Alex is able to rattle off a thousand words a minute and since these DVDs are most usefull by watching them over again, I pick up something new each time I watch an Alex DVD.

I know it's not authorized but I actually listen to these DVDs on my iPod.

For legal reasons I didn't just say that, but listening while on the treadmill or other is cool and some of the teachers can really slow down a workout.

Just some of my thoughts!
Dan
:applause:

Lambert854
02-10-2005, 07:57 PM
Yes Sean Mills came across great on the DVDs, and I didn't say that Darrin or Alex did a bad job. I think Darrin and Alex are great instructors on the DVDs. I just picked up much more from Sean and his approach to things suited me better.

This is only my thoughts based on the DVD instruction; I wish I could take an in-house class at Gnomon.

madmanmagic
02-10-2005, 09:05 PM
Some people just have a knack for speaking, staying focused and at the same time keeping the viewer listening, staying focused, interested and glued to the tube.

Sean Mills is one of those somebodies.
IMO

:applause:

BiGMaCHiNe
02-11-2005, 02:20 AM
yes, i like where this is going. If we keep brown nosing maybe sean will be inspired to release some extra dvds.. :p

obz
02-11-2005, 03:42 AM
Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm glad you enjoyed the DVD's. :eek:

There are more DVD's in the works from me so stay tuned :thumbsup:

AlexAlvarez
02-11-2005, 03:56 AM
Rogfa... yep, Neville has two new DVDs in the works that should be out in June.

So Sean is mr. popular it seems... even a better teacher than me... :(
Oh well, I guess I need to work harder and make some new DVDs. :)

btw, the next round of DVDs will be released February 23rd:
Ian McCaig, Aaron Sims, Scott Robertson

-Alex

BiGMaCHiNe
02-11-2005, 04:10 AM
yay more neville dvds

ye for the gods that are gnomon :)

Grgeon
02-11-2005, 04:12 AM
Can't wait for Iain McCaig's dvd!

And i'm totally getting your new dvd soon Alex :)

you guys rock!

George

rogfa
02-11-2005, 04:59 AM
Thanks Alex. Neville's dvds have helped me so much. He's a pretty funny guy too. Can't wait.

AlexAlvarez
02-15-2005, 01:16 AM
Hi all...

So today we have announced eight new DVDs, coming February 23rd:

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/comingsoon.html

From now on we will announce upcoming DVDs on this page, two weeks prior to release... no room anymore on the home page due to all the new releases.

-Alex

BiGMaCHiNe
02-15-2005, 01:23 AM
Holy $#@$#@

ive once again been blown away by the quality of the upcoming releases...

Aarons characters look fantastic, and those visual storytelling dvds look superb..
I cant wait to book both volumes...

awesome work gnomon!

DevilHacker
02-15-2005, 01:29 AM
Hi all...

So today we have announced eight new DVDs, coming February 23rd:

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/comingsoon.html

From now on we will announce upcoming DVDs on this page, two weeks prior to release... no room anymore on the home page due to all the new releases.

-Alex

Yes! Thank you, you have just made my day!
Thank you for doing a DVD using XSI, and I hope you’re able to do more!
*takes what little money that’s left, and huddles next to the computer, waiting for the DVDs to become able to purchase…*

belail
02-15-2005, 01:29 AM
Excellent, any idea when they'll be added to the main part of the site, so we can fawn over the screen shots until they're released. Not that I'm desperate, just...curious.

Fus|on
02-15-2005, 01:33 AM
wow i cant wait. Just a lamo question, would the Aaron Sims dvd using XSI, be of much benefit for the maya user?. I understand that the process is similar but was wondering if its worth the buy or not.

Thanks for everything Alex, great job on all dvds. Keep it up.

AlexAlvarez
02-15-2005, 02:11 AM
Actually, thats a good question to ask. As you can tell from Aaron's descriptions, his DVDs focus on design, not software training... this was a conscious decision we made, as, since I'm a Maya user, I wanted Aaron to put something together that I could follow along with, to observe his design process... He's one of the few leading concept designers I know who actually uses 3D tools (he's the art director for both the digital and physical departments at Stan Winston studios). So while he is using XSI, I was able to completely understand what he was doing... cuz in the end, the poly tools in XSI are not really that different than in Maya. So when he splits a poly, does extrudes, etc... I basically was able to pretend that I was just watching someone use Maya. Then in regards to texturing, there are several cool camera projection techniques he uses that also made perfect sense to me... so as long as you are comfortable with a 3D package, you should be fine... and inspired. Plus you'll get to see what another package is like, which I actually found rather interesting since I had never watched someone use XSI before... it definitely seems to be a rather intuitive and cool package.

I know there is interest in us getting into XSI 'software training', and we may. Aaron is interested in participating in this as well, but he first wants to see how these DVDs do...

and there it is.

-Alex

davpunk
02-15-2005, 02:11 AM
hey I just noticed they added a coming soon section to their website, they might be able to answer the questions yer askin here http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/comingsoon.html

davpunk
02-15-2005, 02:20 AM
DOh!. Sorry I missed that post Alex. Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention. :P
keep on rockin da sawse!

BiGMaCHiNe
02-15-2005, 03:15 AM
wow, that got my attention.. 3d tools in concept design. I'd never known enough about the field to realise that ppl used them. fascinating, i'm really looking forward to watching him work.

Fus|on
02-15-2005, 10:00 AM
Thanks alot for the reply. You're answer makes perfect sense and I think I'm going to take the gamble and go for it.

Can't wait....

denis_the_menace
02-15-2005, 06:21 PM
Gnomon's DVDs rock, no doubt about it. However, shipping service has become sketchy since it got moved to Texas. Good thing that the customer service in California is solid.
Hei, Alex, why did you guys change warehouses?

Fus|on
03-29-2005, 02:24 AM
man these guys are crazy. Look in the coming soon section.

There goes my savings...

CGTalk Moderation
03-29-2005, 02:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.