PDA

View Full Version : Maya keeps messing up

Kickflipkid687
02-03-2005, 01:04 AM
All of a sudden now, for no reason, maya keeps not responding for about 2 min. then fixes itself and "lags" really bad. I dont understand why this is happening. It worked fine before when i had maya 5 installed, but i just installed maya 6. I also installed newest ati drivers, but i un-installed thinking that was the problem. My case is pretty cool inside, since I have 4 80 mm fans with intake and outake airflow. I have a Radeon 9600 pro 128mb, P4 2.6 ghz, and 512 ddr dual channel ram. I have SP2 installed as well with latest virus definitions installed for Norton and i scanned my system. I really dont understand why this is happening, but Im trying to model my first car in the software, and its really hard to when it keeps freezing up!! Please help me anyway possible.

Matt

CrazyAnimator
02-03-2005, 05:50 AM
Heya Matt,

Well I can tell this, it the video card. Maya and ATI dont really like each other. Had the same problems when using one at the school I attended very slow, visor locked up or lagged badly, paint was useless etc. etc.
Currently the best card is the Nvidia Quadro (expensive) but the Geforce series will work (but dont get the 5200) anything other will do you fine.

Marcel
02-03-2005, 07:43 AM
Next time it happens check if your viewport maximized. Try to switch back to the 4 viewports layout and see if it solves the problem. Some videocards don't handle a big viewport that well, I had the same problem with a Radeon 9000 and Geforce4.
What resolution are you running? A slightly lower resolution might help.

Sometimes having the attribute Attribute editor open instead of the Channel box (Channel box is smaller) also does the trick.

Kickflipkid687
02-03-2005, 12:09 PM
Hi,

Well, I just switched from using 600x800 to 1024x768, so that might be the problem. I only usually encounter it freezing up when i keep switching from perspective or another view to 4 views then make to another view using space bar rapidly. Maybe If i switch back to 600x800 it will fix the problem. Also, i would like to get my 3ds max 6 trial working again, but I cannot, i re-installed it, but it keeps saying i have to register it or buy it. I deleted some registry files, but it must not have been enough?

thanks alot,

Matt

CGTalk Moderation
02-03-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.