PDA

View Full Version : Video Capture Cards

Maven
02-02-2005, 04:47 PM
Hello, I need some suggestions on video capture cards. I don't know much about them, but I want to be able to capture video and audio from a VCR. I'm looking to spend like 300 to 400 bucks. And I will be using Premiere Pro 1.5 to edit and capture. Then I want to author DVD's from there.

Can anyone suggest anything?

VictorMartins
02-09-2005, 11:25 AM
Im making the same research, what do you think of this one?
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPage_n.asp?Product_ID=1426&Langue_ID=7

seems to have some nice features:

Capture DVD-Quality Video
Connect your Camcorder, VCR or TV to the DVC150 to capture DVD-quality video to your PC. The DVC150 captures in full 720 x 576 DVD resolution.

- DVD Encoder Chip Saves Hard Disk Space
The DVC150 has a real-time DVD encoder chip inside that automatically converts video into the MPEG-2 format. This shrinks the video to its original size, saving hard disk space.

curious_69_george
02-13-2005, 10:57 AM
When capturing video, especially from a VCR, your not going to need the greatest card. VHS is limited to roughly 150 lines of resolution. Digital cable is better a 480, but a low bit rate.

Word of advice, dont encode to Mpeg-2 unless it is your final output to a DVD that you are capturing. Mpeg-2 is meant as a final output compression. Because of its nature to drop frames upon compression.

If you are meaning to do anything of a professional status. You would be best to go with a card like the Matrox x10 for low end, and that will get you realtime of VHS, television, but also DV (which I would suggest getting a camera)

I am not sure what your goals are, with those I could better suggest a card.

Ryan

Snappy
02-15-2005, 07:52 PM
What make the Maxtrox x.10 better than the DVC150? That is roughly 150 bucks compared to 300 without the software.

curious_69_george
02-16-2005, 06:18 AM
What make the Maxtrox x.10 better than the DVC150? That is roughly 150 bucks compared to 300 without the software.

Well first off the DVC150 doesn't have firewire. That is very big. Processing power in the x10 is substantially more.

But it all depends on your goals. What do you want to do with it? Basic home personal editing, a lead into professional?

Maven
02-16-2005, 01:44 PM
I just want to take some movies that are on either VHS or mini HiFi or whatever and digitize them so that I can do some editing in Premiere and then author a DVD with Encore.

curious_69_george
02-19-2005, 10:18 PM
Then just get the one that you mentioned.

jussing
02-21-2005, 10:02 AM
I had an AV Master ("AV Fast" or something) once, and it was the best VHS capture I have ever seen. The format itself has was much better quality than DV (though of course, grabbed VHS will never be better than DV, because VHS blows).

I had to discard it in an upgrade, because the drivers only worked with Windows NT, but I believe they made new ones for Win 2000 and XP.

Cheers,
- Jonas

thomaspecht
02-21-2005, 07:40 PM
i have been using a pinnacle/miro DC30 (and "plus") - main competitor of the AV master back in the days - for several years and still continue to do so.
however, a big problem is driver support, which seems to be a common problem with video capture devices. basically you're lost as soon as the manufacturer abandons the product since there's no standard whatsoever. everyone is cooking there own drivers, custom mjpeg-videocodecs and tools.

i'm running win 2k here and do experience a few issues with the card that didn't exist in NT4.
if had to buy a video capture device nowadays, i'd look for something generic and rather let the CPU do the majority of the work than having some hardware acceleration and custom tools that would force me to stay away from OS or video editing app upgrades.

Maven
02-24-2005, 04:16 PM
As anyone used the Turtle Beach BS-1500-01 (http://www.buy.com/prod/Turtle_Beach_Video_Advantage_PCI_Drive_Bay_Production_Studio/q/loc/101/10384968.html)? It looks good for the money but I want to know about the quality of it. I have never owned a Turtle Beach product before either.

Anyone have any experiences good or bad?

Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
02-24-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.