PDA

View Full Version : rigging a horse

seema
02-02-2005, 04:26 PM
I have almost finished rigging the horse but i m having some problems..
The neck of the horse can actually strech so that it can reach the ground . I have made those neck bones strechy but some how it does not look right...can someone help? what shud i do to achieve that effect

I would love to hear any other tips on rigging a quad (especially horse) as well!!
This there any link which helps rigggin a horse ??coz i didnt find any

Thanks!!

jgibz
02-02-2005, 09:07 PM
I'm not very familiar with the actual physical abilities of a horse's neck, but the vertebrae probably don't stretch as much as they rotate. The exception being a rig for more cartoony animation, in which case I'd build a spline handle with controls on the curve. Otherwise, for realisim I'd say that you should double check your proportions and find some good skeletal refrences.

JSchmidt
02-06-2005, 02:53 PM
Unless it's a 'cartoony' horse, the neck shouldnt stretch...if it's a cartoony horse, use a basic ikspline, driven by 2 zero-length joints at either end.

As for rigging a quadroped, the best way is to approach as 2 bipeds. You rig up the rear legs & pelvis and then the front legs and shoulders as 2 seperate entities and stick them together with a spine.

Jakob

tfall
02-18-2005, 03:55 AM
The base of the horse's neck joints is actually slightly lower than the center of the muscle groups surrounding it, and it juts out forward before curving upward. The result is that the neck is coiled a bit when the head is upright. When the head is bent down to reach the ground the neck joints can straighten, which makes the neck to appear to stretch.

I haven't rigged a horse yet, just a wolf and a tiger, but my demo reel shows the rig I used. The joint structures are very similar, but the proportions are different.

seema
02-18-2005, 03:41 PM
Thank you all so much!!

Thanks tFall...it was of great help :thumbsup: ....thank u for ur inputs!!

CGTalk Moderation
02-18-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.