PDA

View Full Version : general color replacement layer

tymznd
02-02-2005, 07:16 AM
I am a shake newbie, I have rendered out a maya an animation of a basketball player, and have a colorful basketball as its own layer, composited, all is good..... however, I am partly colorblind and am not a strong shader guy so I am wondering if it is possible to basically desaturate the basketball layer and adjust the color from there.

I know that I could render out the color as its own pass in maya.... but I am hoping for a general rough way of doing it (kinda like photoshop has gradient map, or color replace) seeing how the basketball is fairly complex and I am trying to rough it out... without more days of maya rendering.

I suppose, desaturating actually would not be the way seeing how you would want the color input values to drive the color replacement values.... anyway, like I said I am a newbie and if someone could just roughly describe the process/nodes that might work?

pointnclick
02-06-2005, 08:50 PM
If you want to get a matte(alpha) for the basketball in order to use as a mask to colour correct, the ball needs to be a different colour from all the other elements in the scene. For example if the ball is orange + everything else isn't then you can just use primatte/keylight node to key out the colour. To look at the alpha, just press 'a' with your mouse over the viewport, to return to the colour view press 'c'.
The resulting alpha can then be plugged into the M knot of a color correct node so that when you adjust the sliders it just affects the ball. If you find that the alpha contains the basketball but also part of the players T-shirt, you can use a rotoshape as a garbage matte for the Tshirt so that the alpha is just of the ball.
Hopes this helps + isn't too confusing. It would help to see a frame of the animation...

pointnclick
02-07-2005, 05:57 PM
...you could also try the color replace node but it might not give you enough control over what needs changing..

tymznd
02-08-2005, 12:53 AM
thanks for the reply
..... I do have an alpha channel for the element and was able to make some progress using the "adjust HSV" node.
What I am tryiing to understand is the basic workings of color(which can be a mystery to someone who is colorblind), and a method in which I do NOT have to commit to color until I get into Shake.... so that someone else can take over at that point. I think I need to do some reading on HSV... and figure out a way to use colors in Maya that will be easy to replace later in the pipe.

pointnclick
02-08-2005, 07:04 PM
Do you mean you want to desaturate it so you can use whatever colour you wish within Shake? And is your alpha solely of the ball or does it also contain the player? cos you can use the `use background` node in maya so that when you render it only renders an alpha for the ball + then manipulate this within shake...

If your alpha is just of the ball, in shake you could use the monochrome node so you've just got the lighting detail and then use a layer node and set the operation to multiply and plug the colour of your choice into the other knot.

tymznd
02-08-2005, 09:20 PM
Do you mean you want to desaturate it so you can use whatever colour you wish within Shake? yes
And is your alpha solely of the ball or does it also contain the player? just the ball
in shake you could use the monochrome node so you've just got the lighting detail ....ahhhhhh :beer: that is what I think I have been looking for :applause: ... thanks, I will have to do some experimenting with this.... awsome

CGTalk Moderation
02-08-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.