PDA

View Full Version : Weight Lift Animation

Morganism
02-02-2005, 07:26 AM
Hey all. I haven't posted any work in a while, so I thought it might be time. I hardly ever feel like I finish animation, but I think this is closer than most. Here it is:

www.loomisanimation.com/video/safeLift.mov (http://www.loomisanimation.com/video/safeLift.mov)

Feel free to crit. I'm probably not going to change it anymore, but critiques are always helpful. Have a nice day!

EDIT:
Here's a little screengrab, as per request.
http://www.loomisanimation.com/cgtalk/safeGrab.jpg
The model and rig is from a class, I just animated and lit the thing.

-Morgan

clodhopper
02-02-2005, 08:23 AM
awsome. theres lots of life in that. The Secondary motion was great. The subtle but well polished environment really adds. Watched yer reel too- several times; all good stuff.

....have you thought about animating something in 3d thats flying or a quadroped?...

SheepFactory
02-03-2005, 12:57 AM
Great stuff morgan!

*plugged

erilaz
02-03-2005, 01:04 AM
Beautiful. The crunch at the end is great. If anything, all I'd say is he needs more pain there, cause that would REALLY hurt!

Great weight and timing.:thumbsup:

Hammy_W
02-03-2005, 01:08 AM
Great to see more animation getting plugged on the front page! Thanks Sheep!

Nice animation too! Love the expressions! :D

alexfalchi
02-03-2005, 01:08 AM
wow nice work!!

Alex

Zabian
02-03-2005, 01:09 AM
That's awesome lol and funny.

kattkieru
02-03-2005, 01:25 AM
I'm trying to think of a crit, but I can't! This really is a superb short. As said above your followthrough is great, as is your anticipation, and I really like the facial expressions. I'm confused as to why he picks it up, though.

I think you could take this character and do a lot with him. The rig seems solid. Thinking about putting him through more paces? And what class was it for?

EvoG
02-03-2005, 01:25 AM
Excellent work. The ONLY thing I wasn't sold on was the safe crashing. I'd do away with the more 'painful' version of the edge crushing him, and go with a flat crush over the entire torso. This way you don't get an obviously very heavy safe coming to a rest on his belly. Of course this is entirely subjective, and to simply judge the motion...awesome.

RockinAkin
02-03-2005, 01:27 AM
Excellent display of weight and comedic timing!

rony
02-03-2005, 01:33 AM
very nice! And funny. a good sense of weight. The only thing that bothers me is when he falls down the first time. The feet stick to the ground and don't move at all. since he's not standing at this point, there is no body mass sticking the feet to the ground, so the feet could move with the slightest body movement and I think you should add that.

rwijaya
02-03-2005, 01:37 AM
its just okay on the pose, .. good timing and sense of weight in the end.
but hey, im just a modeler :P

Morganism
02-03-2005, 01:48 AM
Hey, thanks for the plug Ali! :)
And thanks for the kind words, everyone else.

dimension10
02-03-2005, 02:25 AM
Awesome stuff, checked out the rigging demo too. There is some really complex stuff in there.

As far as the animation I agree with rony. The only thing that caught my eye was how the feet stayed planted on the floor on that first fall. It may help to have the toes leave the ground for a bit. Other than that it is solid.

NeptuneImaging
02-03-2005, 02:31 AM
That was the funniest shit I have ever seen!! It would be even funnier if it fell on his stomach and let out a painful scream...

http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/twisted.gifhttp://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

JBoskma
02-03-2005, 02:54 AM
Great sense of weight! :beer: Nice animation man :)

Aluuk
02-03-2005, 03:18 AM
Congrats on the plug Morgan. Keep up the hard work...i messed around with that model once and got frustrated, so i give you a lot of props for being able to pull that off.

Leif

The F.O.T.I.
02-03-2005, 03:22 AM
Wow!, Really nice job. I'm a student too...I just recently finished my own box lift assignment. I'm humble enough to admit yours was far better. I bow down to you.

andy_maxman
02-03-2005, 05:04 AM
congrats for the plug mate...:thumbsup:

i thought the guy could have slipped off the handle while trying to open it rather than pulling the handle ( in this case it would never open as the lever inside would be refrain it from doing so )
......the action could have been
1. handle in down position with the hands trying to pull.......
2. pulling....pulling......
3. hands slip till the edge of the handle........and.....
4. slip off.......

i hope it makes sense as i cannot explain it in a better way....
cheers!
andy

webhead
02-03-2005, 05:27 AM
Very nice animation. Congrats! Rony stole my thunder, though; I felt he stuck a bit too much to the floor on the first fall as well -almost like a magnet or Spiderman.
Also, I think he should have fallen over a bit sooner when he gets off balance with the heavy safe. Would have liked to see more frustration when the safe didn't open as well. In answer to someone who asked why he picked up the safe, I would guess he was going to take it with him and try to crack it later. Keep up the great work. :thumbsup:

ttesla
02-03-2005, 07:57 AM
hahahhaha very funny. :applause: :thumbsup:

at the moment of jumping off and grabbing the safe, a bit more anticipation with some leg bending could do and at the end, when he is gone, perhaps you could leave it with the eyes openned and rolled upwards. just my two cents but honestly, you did a great job with this clip so i am a bit ashamed :blush: to go and look for some couldbebetters when the overall impression is woohoo! :applause:

keep up the good work man!

Morganism
02-03-2005, 08:14 AM
Hey everyone, thanks again for the replies. So.....it looks like my site is about to go over it's limit, if there's anyone who wants to help host this file while I try to get my bandwidth upgraded, that would be just awesome. Thanks again!

wesa
02-03-2005, 08:15 AM
Really nice animation work! Like the weight alot and the secondary animation with the flashlight is great.
The lighting work isn't bad. I like it! :thumbsup:

andy_maxman
02-03-2005, 08:23 AM
OT:

hey dude...
just chkd your vfx reel.......
man i was pleasantly surprised to see an indian scene in there .....the writings on the wall are in Hindi and it says 'oxford coaching institute'. this is the first time i'm seeing a reel with an indian footage. feels good.
btw - mind if i ask you if was a project or just a mock try.....and what's your indian connection.....
cheers!
andy

Morganism
02-03-2005, 09:01 AM
Hey Andy. That shot was from a movie that an Afgan friend of mine shot partly in India. (Check your PM.)

vilen13
02-03-2005, 09:07 AM
good one morgan :):thumbsup:

gloupi
02-03-2005, 10:04 AM
Nice Job

I love it, very funny

TerianSilva
02-03-2005, 10:31 AM
Uh, I guess that hurts. :D

Great animation. :thumbsup:

euclidius
02-03-2005, 10:47 AM
oh man! I've seened the image yesterday on top , after viewing your website just now, I just recognized the image on the top front page of CGtalk, whoaa! I didn't know it was yours! damn! Morgan! I'll say it again, you always do good work man! keep it up!

Bubbble
02-03-2005, 11:43 AM
:applause:

very very nice Acting

bubbble

Bubbble
02-03-2005, 12:09 PM
:thumbsup:

Very nice Acting , I love It

But I think that the eyes are not enough expressive,maybe

Bubbble

rmsmedia
02-03-2005, 01:37 PM
Beautiful animation, the safe has an incredible sense of weight...and the characters cartoon springiness offsets it so well...awesome job!

JiCe
02-03-2005, 03:28 PM
Very well animated.
Very funny

Tris3d
02-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Really enjoyed that! Good luck!

KOKE
02-03-2005, 04:20 PM
nice acting!! :thumbsup:

two excellent pieces of animation this week on the front page.

:D

DesignDawg
02-03-2005, 04:39 PM
It is definitely a decent piece of work. What I see missing is some quivering. There may be a hint of it when he is pulling on the handle. --Can't tell if that's quivering or just IK popping. --But when he's straining, you can really sell that by making his joints quiver. Arms shaking when he's pulling on the handle, legs rattling when he picks up the safe, etc... Don't be afraid to push it pretty far, either.

Good stuff.

Ricky

TraceR
02-03-2005, 05:28 PM
wow, very nice job there. :thumbsup: :applause:

Only one crit. Is he supposed to be that low poly?

Morganism
02-03-2005, 06:12 PM
Only one crit. Is he supposed to be that low poly?

Hehe, about that....I didn't build the guy, but I did throw that mask texture on. After I did all the animation I tried to up-rez him for rendering, but the texture got all messed up and covered his body in little black circles. So low rez is going to have to do.

bloggs
02-03-2005, 06:17 PM
man thats the best animation i've seen in a while:thumbsup: welldone!
just one thing! i hate to pick but i saw it the first time around watching it! but i think his foot falls through the table at the end!

cheers

john

Luciferul
02-03-2005, 08:00 PM
Nice one man. The character looks great ;)

Animation626
02-03-2005, 08:51 PM
i watched the clip several times and you have captured a good emotional quality in the character's frustration. It's really a great work and i hope to see more...although the foot at the end of the sequence seems tricky, maybe its the angle of the table?

crazybread
02-03-2005, 10:14 PM
yeahh, it's really cool! Cheers! :applause:

Flecucos
02-03-2005, 11:42 PM
all looks good. Great poses, overlap, weight but the timing need more pauses.. and the final pose... the left foot doasent likes me at all. Just the last frame.
Excuses for my english
AMOR Y PODER

pearl3d
02-04-2005, 01:53 AM
he he very funny...great job :bounce:

emilioG
02-04-2005, 02:04 AM
Nice one.

There's some subjective comments I could make, but like I said, they are subjective, so I won't. If I may say so, this animation needs just a slight polish and it'll rock.

Here are a few mechanical comments:

- stronger switch up on eyes at beginning to show he's thinking/listening. You could also add in some eyebrow movement.
- Lhand curling up after he lets go of the safe is a little slow, plus your curve is overshooting a little too much when the hand stops.
- Some weird eyebrow stuff going on right after that.
- when he pulls on the safe and slips off, the safe should move more, like a bounce/tilt.
- when he's lying down on his back, his Lwrist looks broken.
- when he jumps forward, he's feet feel like they're sticking abit too much. 1-2 frames at the most.
- There's some gimbal lock happening here and there.
Slipping under the safe: his last Rfoot slip should still come up.
_ I'd add 1 passing pose between lying down and getting hit. Just one frame placed closer the the hands in the air pose and not the first.
- when his arms and legs finally fall, it seems a bit quick, and you should let one, probably the Rfoot since it's most foreground, land 3-4 frames even later.
- Generally speaking, watch the knee orientation with the foot. SAme for elbows.
- watch the twinning on the eyebrows.

Totally sweet.

RYGUY182
02-04-2005, 04:59 AM
Very nice animation. I think everyone else covered the crits pretty well, noticed that theres a lil bit of deformation in the back of the feet, at the end, when they are landing on the ground. Cant really notice it until u scrub through though. Great work, i reallly enjoyed it!

ty19345
02-04-2005, 06:58 AM
i love the animation. its funny too.

rquinn
02-04-2005, 07:09 AM
First off good
then not
the begining is ok
when he slips off his hands should open up enough for us to notice cause for all we know..
he handle became thin air thats why he falls
then when he lifts up the safe its pretty fake the way he goes about to balance himself is way off
ill you have something heavy enough to make you lean back why put one leg forward and lean back, shouldnt he lean his upper body forward to balance it out
then he would prolly take a couple of steps forward moving out of frame then maybe falling and having the safe roll back into frame
that would be much better then the obvious falling back and spreading like a star before getting squished
that was my constuctive comment on that
good stuff

Tom W.
02-04-2005, 07:24 AM
First off beutiful animation, it was great too be honest and very refreshing, lot of good crits for you.

Here's a good crit:

-Add stagger to legs at least, if the not the arms.

-If this vault is actually heavy it won't move up and down as extreme as you put it. The vault loses alot of weight nearing the end.

Honestly though it was great and you should be proud of it :D

ozy_g
02-04-2005, 11:20 AM
awesome job morg! Turned out really nice.

senthil_velan
02-04-2005, 12:11 PM
Hi man.....

Really cool work dude.....the animation is beautiful..

Great work...http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon13.gif

MCage
02-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Wow, very well done :)

I have a question..

Do you have linked the safe on the hand , or the hand to te safe??
Whats the better way of doing it?

Thanks..

ErAn-C
02-04-2005, 02:34 PM
Really enjoyed your animation! :thumbsup:

ScottageCheese
02-04-2005, 03:39 PM
Damn Morganism,

I flinch when the safe falls, really nice... great weight...

Morganism
02-04-2005, 06:23 PM
Hey thanks for the crits Tom, R. Quinn. Emilio, your crits were especially helpful, and everyone else, too.
MCage, to answer your question, I've got the hands constrained to the safe, and then the safe is animated. I think that's the best way to do it.

Thanks guys, you rock.

emilioG
02-04-2005, 06:34 PM
...I've got the hands constrained to the safe, and then the safe is animated. I think that's the best way to do it.

That would be correct. The reason would be that you don't want the safe to be dependant of the hand or body. the safe should be independant because it is driving the motion of the hand, especially because of it's weight.

rodrigogua
02-05-2005, 12:18 AM
i've had a bad day and you just made me smile. it's really good!!!

HenningK
02-05-2005, 03:02 AM
Lovely. Excellent staging: I love how he tilts one way and then the other under the weight of the safe.
The only part I feel funny about is the falling on his ass and then getting right back up. Give him some time to regroup/ think/ at least look at the safe angrily while he's on the floor.
Thanks Emilio for that detailed crit. I appreciate it very much too.
love,henning

Arcon
02-05-2005, 05:56 AM
good weighting - even though its stylized animation i'd still slow it down in parts, his limbs just seem to be moving a little fast. character animations that run too quickly don't give the artist any chance to show subtle motion, and the character loses personality because of it.

CGTalk Moderation
02-05-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.