PDA

View Full Version : Turtle vs. MR vs. Renderman vs. ???

Michael_Kasper
02-02-2005, 05:49 AM
Anyone know how these relate to each other? I know renderman is top notch and I've researched some on Turtle, its looks nice as well. But can anything be achieved with any renderer if you know what I mean. Thanks a lot.

ninus3d
03-03-2005, 10:17 AM
Renderman is daaamn costy, mental ray youve probably already gotten and it is what i recomend (The amount of what you can achieve with it is incredible, thus its popularity but some features has a long learning curve and you want see many "magic setup" buttons") and regarding turtle, well, its gotten to v 1.1 now, but still has nowhere NEAR as many features as MR

Stick to MR ;)

Koogle
03-03-2005, 05:44 PM
Turtle is getting better with each new version, and soon there will be final render.. which I like in 3dsmax more than MR, so there could be even more good competition in the rendering department for Maya soon, also I think vray is also getting support on Maya sometime

tjnyc
03-03-2005, 05:50 PM
The Maxwell Renderer currently has a alpha plugin with Maya, should be available alot sooner than Final Render or VRay.

BillSpradlin
03-03-2005, 09:31 PM
That's great, but it's still so slow that it's only good for still shots.

akewt
03-03-2005, 09:37 PM
i tried out turtle and found it very poor. plus it couldnt handle hi resolutions that well. also its ambOcc was pap.

aparently brazil is being released for maya. that would be good if it was intergrated fully :\. if MR was intergrated fully it would be the best and prob is the best even without. renderman is for serious stuff, high cost dev and intergration is hassle.

my 2 cents ^^^

BillSpradlin
03-03-2005, 11:14 PM
Brazil/Vray/Final Render/Maxwell all are "being" ported to maya. Although some are taking longer than others...like years.

The only one I'm really interested in would be VRay or Final Render, but we'll see who comes out first.

morimitsu
03-03-2005, 11:25 PM
oh, and renderman for maya 1.0 is comming too...
this year can be the render plug ins year for maya. if they release this year, of course...

BillSpradlin
03-03-2005, 11:38 PM
Yea the Renderman for Maya thing will be cool, although sticking with RAT will be better for production work most likely, but for the small artist/studio the plugin might be pretty cool.

floze
03-04-2005, 06:01 AM
The only one I'm really interested in would be VRay or Final Render, but we'll see who comes out first.
Are there any fresh news on vray standalone/vray for maya?

ohiro2
03-04-2005, 05:57 PM
Raytrace in Renderman for maya would be faster than MR?
Anyone knows?
Just curious.:)

BillSpradlin
03-04-2005, 06:17 PM
Prman's raytracing is not as fast as mental ray, PRman didn't even have raytracing until version 11. I'm sure it will improve over time just as does anything else with these high end renderers.

ohiro2
03-04-2005, 07:13 PM
>BillSprandlin>
>Prman's raytracing is not as fast as mental ray, PRman didn't even have raytracing until >version 11. I'm sure it will improve over time just as does anything else with these high end >renderers.

You mean, Prman's raytracer and renderman for maya v1.0 raytracer would be extactly same engine?

CGTalk Moderation
03-04-2005, 07:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.