PDA

View Full Version : stars/space in big hollywood stlye?

donvlatko
02-01-2005, 07:28 PM
I would like to make a space realistic as much as I can. Also to be able to render in realy big resolution and still to have a good quality?

Does anyone know how can this be done?

I tought to map a texture of stars on a plane and put planes all around my scene.Is this a good way and only?

thanks

donvlatko
02-01-2005, 08:26 PM
this is what I have done so far...I made a nurbs sphere and made it to be painable for PFX and with PFX stars I have paint my sphere inside and with little twick I got a very good result.Also now I can turn around more free and I see a lot of stars and it look like a rich space:)

So this what I come up, hope someone have some kind a idea on how to nmake a more realistic space:)

donvlatko
02-01-2005, 08:32 PM
damn my stars are flicker:( can someone now hot to turn off this?

SJames
02-01-2005, 09:30 PM
why not try particles?

your stars are flickering probably because they are so small and maya keeps changing whether its a 0 or 1... uhmm yeah.

slipknot66
02-01-2005, 09:35 PM
you could try to use a high res texture map?! :shrug:

WhiteRabbitObj
02-01-2005, 09:46 PM
Composite. Esp if you have a compositor with a 3D camera in it.

donvlatko
02-02-2005, 08:36 AM
thanks guys, I have try with a high texture map but it did't work very nice...

whiterabbit.obj - can you explain little bitr more. I am useing Shake.

Stahlberg
02-02-2005, 09:02 AM
If they flicker in a static shot, make the stars slightly bigger and blur them the smallest amount - I mean, if the star is only 1 pixel full white now, add four 50% gray pixels around it. If it's 3 or 4 pixels white now, add a ring of gray (or blue or red or whatever) around it. There are several ways to do it, if it was Photoshop I'd copy the layer, add tiny Gaussian blur then comp it with Screen mode over the original. Repeat that until the flickering goes away.
Although a small amount of flicker looks okay, because it will happen in real life too, for the smallest stars at least.

If it flickers when the camera is moving across the field, add motion blur.

donvlatko
02-02-2005, 05:56 PM
thanks man, but I decide to go with PFX.

Just wonder, is there somekind a tutorial online for photoshop on how go make a stars?

Stahlberg
02-03-2005, 02:42 AM
I don't think it matters how you make the stars; as long as they flicker in the final rendering, it's because they're rendering too small and sharp, and need a touch of blur or motion blur. :shrug:

As for painting stars, you could make a PS brush with a star texture from a photo, or clone directly from a photo, or just use straight photos (retouching out lensflares and streaks etc). You can paint them from scratch, but imo it's always better to somehow base it off photographs of the real thing.

MattBirkett-Smith
02-03-2005, 03:07 AM
http://gallery.artofgregmartin.com/tuts_arts/making_a_star_field.html

;)

Your flickering may be to do with glow, try turning off auto exposure.

CGTalk Moderation
02-03-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.