PDA

View Full Version : stars field?

donvlatko
02-01-2005, 12:00 PM
I have made a animation of planet, in first frame camera is near planet and it start to pulling back from planet.
Now my question is how do I make my stars/space look realystic. I don't want to put a simple background map of stars because it would look very stupid for space/stars to be in same position of frist frame and last one, right. So solution is probably to make somekinda huge map and to put in background.So as my animation of planet look like is in space and when you see that planet is movieng away from camere you also see more and more stars.... So there is my problem, how can make this effect? I know that is simple but my brain just stop on this....damn....

thanks people!

abarman
02-11-2005, 06:59 PM
i just did similar kind of thing few days back:)
wht i did..well first of all, remember, stars are far far away, so when u pull back, relative position of stars will not change much, if they change position with the same speed with the planet, they will look like glowing dust particle.
now if i put a image, the stars will not twinkle, so now the aim is to let the stars twinkle, to make it look realistic.
for that, copy the same image of stars, put a brighness(and what not..depends on ur image) node to convert that image to black & white having only the stars and in the alpha channel black part is transparent(use switch matte for that)
put a blur or whtever node for the desired look of the glowing star
now make a random paint with quickpaint
animate it all over the screen with keyframing a move2d node
put the modified star image inside this paint

now put the whole thing above the original star image
so now the stars will glow at the location where the paint profile is, and as the profile is moving, the stars willl look like twinkling.
u may need to adjust the speed and profile of the paint to look it convicing.

all the best

donvlatko
02-12-2005, 09:14 AM
wow thanks man for shareing this. I need this effect for stars. I wanted to go with noise animated map, but this your technique sound more cool...
thanks man

abarman
02-12-2005, 04:43 PM
hai..talking about noise, i remember of putting a noise node inside the modified star image, before putting it inside paintnode, that way u will get more random twinkling

donvlatko
02-13-2005, 09:23 AM
:) man I know it....How do you make your star map?Are yyou useing Maya?

abarman
02-13-2005, 03:48 PM
hai...thats the main fun of the whole thing, if I would have done it in maya, i could have done the whole thing in 3D....that way you need not to even bother about converting the image to a alpha map and all.....but took a simple jpeg image instead....kind of matte painting approach and gave a 3D feeling to it in Shake.
you may find some nice space images in www.3dcafe.com in free section

donvlatko
02-13-2005, 05:25 PM
hai...thats the main fun of the whole thing, if I would have done it in maya, i could have done the whole thing in 3D....that way you need not to even bother about converting the image to a alpha map and all.....but took a simple jpeg image instead....kind of matte painting approach and gave a 3D feeling to it in Shake.
you may find some nice space images in www.3dcafe.com (http://www.3dcafe.com) in free section

can you please explain little bit more about that tehnique?

CGTalk Moderation
02-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.