PDA

View Full Version : Quik Question

Mangled Poly
09-11-2002, 06:07 PM
How come whenever i try to extured a face it flips its normals so the faces flip the other way.. i know its alt+f to flip em back however this can become a pain on more advanced models. Anyone.. the answer is probly easy but as i mentioned im quite new to this program.:annoyed:

proton
09-11-2002, 06:31 PM
I'd like to see an example of what you rare talking about....

Amalinde
09-11-2002, 08:02 PM
If your using rail extrude then the extruded pipe or whatever will be flipped, just flip your starting poly before doing the rail extrude

if your using just normal extude then i dunno, i hardly ever use it cuz bevel is faster

Mangled Poly
09-11-2002, 08:12 PM
For you proton, and anyone else whos can help this is a quik example i extruded the faces from the top view and have done it in mony other views same think it flips the normals....:wip:

yon dabuda
09-11-2002, 10:19 PM
maybe thats to let you see whats inside? hehe. nevermind, i dont know.

proton
09-11-2002, 10:21 PM
Don't use extrude for that....use Smooth Shift....Extrude is more for Flat polygons......Smooth Shift will give you what you need.

Mangled Poly
09-11-2002, 10:44 PM
thnx proton!

proton
09-11-2002, 10:55 PM
That's a common mistake I've seen with users of other 3d apps switching ot LW.....esp. Max users....Smooth Shift will become your best bud!

dies-irae
09-11-2002, 10:59 PM
This is just a small test i made to test how flipped polys are handed by modeler... i'll have to say that only bevel satisfies me...
http://www.dies-irae.com/test_extrude.jpg

as proton said, extrude is more for giving volume to 2d shapes (like a text or a drawing). What you tried to do was beveling those polys, but while bevel is for single polys, smooth shift is for groups of polys (that doesn't prevent it from screwing up when you sm.shift flipped polys...notice the black holes in the image ;) ).

Just make a test on a segmented cube using
shift+e (extrude)
b (bevel)
shift+f (smooth shift)

beware of the smooth shift!:
if you sm.sh. an edged geometry, you'll eventually end up with holes in your mesh. Just hit n to bring up the numeric pad and change the "max smoothing angle" until the holes fill up.

proton
09-11-2002, 11:06 PM
I never use Bevel and Always use Smooth Shift.....even on one poly......I never end up with holes in my mesh....I'm curious as to how you end up with the holes.....

I've used smooth shift since I started using LW.....It's my secret weapon....OOps...not anymore :eek:

Mangled Poly
09-11-2002, 11:09 PM
wow its great to see so much help i defiantly found a new program i want to work with if all these people respond like this!

And yes proton i have come from max :p

proton
09-11-2002, 11:13 PM
Welcome....You will really enjoy working with LW and being part of this great community!

dies-irae
09-11-2002, 11:26 PM
http://www.dies-irae.com/test_smshift.jpg
i wont say i get that everytime but it happens quite often...

welcome mangled poly!
yes, you'll have to thank proton and the others moderators, gurus and pros of lightwave, they are a blessing for us all!

Tumerboy
09-11-2002, 11:35 PM
I'm with Dies, I get broken polys once in a while.

It seems to happen when I smooth shift a group of polys more than once.

The first smooth shift works, but the subsequent ones will break up a bit, and I'll have to reweld some points.

proton
09-12-2002, 12:03 AM
try doing a smooth shift without moving it...just select Smooth Shift. Click once and with the polys still selected... use the move tool to move the ploys...I use this method and never get holes or splits in my geometry...and I always use Smooth Shift...

dies-irae
09-12-2002, 12:18 AM
yes, of course! that's the method i use too, but only because of the holes issue... i just wished there was a solution (maybe a script... cman :love: ) that found the best max angle for each situation (dream on...)

of course, there's always smoo... (never forget the smoo!)

Mangled Poly
09-12-2002, 12:46 AM
proton once again you come out right ive also seen a beter use of smooth shift with no breaks when doing it several times if i reintailize the tool so for some reason it thinks it is doing it the first time.....

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.