PDA

View Full Version : Female with Robotic Headgear - Expose 3 WIP

AirbORn
02-01-2005, 06:31 AM
Hey Everyone. I decided to take some time and perhaps do an entry for Expose' 3. Not sure what I want to do yet, but I know I want to do a character painting. But here is the problem.

... I never painted skin before. At least "good" looking skin. Anyway, this is what I have so far. I know I didn't put any colour onto the skin yet but I was hoping you guys could help me or direct me to some tutorials for painting human skin. :love:

With the next CG challenge starting in March I figured I could do this to keep myself busy.

Any comments or help would be greatly smiled upon :)
http://www.markokon.com/Female_WIP_01.jpg

Squibbit
02-01-2005, 06:36 AM
could u stick da tip of da jaw forward a bit ?

skin ? umm..use scales like Walrus !! j/k

sorry i dunno skin, but i'll drop by every now and then
too see if someone does know, then we both can learn :thumbsup:

AirbORn
02-01-2005, 06:44 AM
Hey Squibbit, nice to see you in one piece after the last CG challenge.

Anyway, I'll push the tip forward for the next update. :) Thanks for the quick reply.

spism
02-01-2005, 07:34 AM
to be honest, i love the way her skin is the same colour as the bg. i would explore the graphic look.

sorry to draw you in the opposite direction :)

andreasrocha
02-01-2005, 09:20 AM
Great work, AirbORn. Try to keep this inital simplicity that goes with her sad look. Not much to say at this stage. Keep it up.

walrus
02-01-2005, 04:33 PM
Yeah, if you wait a few weeks I'll have got to the point in my dragon painting where I show how I'll do the scales... j/k! :-)

I do agree with Squibbit though that the chin feels a bit weak, at least for a contemporary (if not futuristic) woman. But it's funny how styles change: Look at the National Portrait Gallery in London and you'll see tons of contemporary beauties depicted with very weak chins: Evidently is was quite the attractive feature back in the day. Also, not sure what you're trying to convey with the expression, it's feeling a little blank to me.

Good luck with it!

-mike

AirbORn
02-01-2005, 05:46 PM
spism: I was thinking of that :) This piece is in it's early stages, so it might come to that. Thanks!

andreasrocha: Thanks! :)

walrus: I agree, the expression is a little blank. I'll see what I can cook up tonight or tomorrow with the expression :) Thanks~!

Xillion
02-02-2005, 11:45 AM
Hi, I'm new around, this is my first post and I hope I can be of help. There is an interesting tutorial on skin tones from Linda Bergkvist (that was originally posted here on cgtak I think). You can find it on www.furiae.com in the gallery section.

AirbORn
02-02-2005, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the link. I think the noise and lip tutorials on her site will be more useful. Thanks for the help! ^^

asfalton
02-02-2005, 09:41 PM
cool !!! That colors are moving on my monitor

anex700
02-07-2005, 08:13 AM
like the style you have going. it would be cool to keep the lighting you have now on top of whatever skin tone you give her. i also agree with squibbit that her jaw could come out a bit more... beside some of the things that have been said, i noticed that her eye could come down and back a bit-- it seems to be a little floaty. but again, great start and i look forward to seeing updates.

_dinky_

Squibbit
02-07-2005, 08:58 AM
soo....how about an update ?

DrFx
02-07-2005, 11:39 AM
Nice mood and colours, but like others pointed out, some anatomy probs. It would be useful if you used a reference pic for this. The eye should be moved down and to the left, and I think her chin can be smaller and the lower lip a bit receded. pay attention to the muscular structure of the neck too. You can have this stylized look and mood without sacrificing these anatomic details.

I especially like the contrast between the lights in the helmet and the eyes, and the rest of the picture!

AirbORn
02-07-2005, 08:59 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments! Really great suggestions. As for an update I hope to have one for tonight. I got swamped with a ton of work last week and I didn't have any time to touch this piece. But I will push myself to do something tonight.

Thanks once again everyone! :)

AirbORn
02-08-2005, 07:56 AM
As promised, I did some work on this piece tonight. I have a feeling I might miss the entry deadline because I am going on vacation next week and I won't be back till the 24th :( But, you never know. :)

Anyway, I really like this update because it is a great improvement from the last one when you compare the womens face. Took a while to add some more detail so perhaps all that is left is colouring? Unless you guys see some other details that need to be fixed, I think I am more or less ready for painting??? ....huhh.. huh... :)

http://www.markokon.com/Female_WIP_02.jpg

Pixelcritter
02-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Maybe its just me, but her neck seem extraordinaraly long. Could you maybe shorten in a tad?

hjalmar
02-22-2005, 07:39 PM
looks nifty to me!! i cant wait to see the finished product even if it doesnt make it on time

but just in case....get a move on with the painting;)

djmagick
02-22-2005, 08:34 PM
I like it, it reminds me of 80's Heavy Metal magazine, specifically Druillard or Moebius. As far as the skin goes, i think it looks fine the way it is...

matlars
02-22-2005, 09:58 PM
Cool design.
Hope you get it finnished in time.
my comments: I think that the eye migth be slightly to high up, and maybe a bit to far forward (screen right).

/mathias

ms@zx
02-23-2005, 02:26 AM
pretty nice design,but i think the neck seems alil too long.keep it up man..i'd sure like to see more updates:)

AirbORn
02-23-2005, 05:25 AM
Pixelcritter: I wanted to make the neck a little longer on purpose, but people seem to question it. I'll try to see what I can do :)

hjalmar: Thanks :) I now know I won't make the deadline, but I rather work towards quality than quantity. :)

djmagick: Thanks, people seem to like the way the skin is right now. I may keep the colour as is. :)

matlars: I tried to fix the eye this time around, but perhaps you are right, I'll see what I can do :)

ms@zx: Thanks for the support :) I'll see what I can do about the neck

Thanks everyone for the comments, I am glad that people are digging the design. I'll still do some adjustments before I go to painting, but not sure when I will get a chance to jump into it. Probably within the week. :) Thanks once again!

Martin_B
02-23-2005, 11:01 AM
I love the lenght of the neck. But i could finde it little irritating that it looks like the neck is getting thicker a top of it..

Lovley white dot's on the headgear also.

mark-jenkins
02-28-2005, 12:39 PM
I think the problem with the eye is that we can see too much of the iris, which doesn't look right in this profile pose. Also I think the colour of the iris is too intense., maybe try to reduce the saturation a little. I hope this helps.

By the way,this is my first postbut as soon as I am able to post images on this forum I would like some feedback. I hope you will oblige!!

Marco J

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.