PDA

View Full Version : subdeviding or smoothing areas?

chlywly
02-10-2002, 12:51 AM
Is there a plugin or anything so that you can lets say select some polys within a subdevided object and subdevide only those polys? but then have it create everything in such a way that there are no 4+ point polys?

I think maya and max do that, does lightwave have a plugin for that? Because trippling the 4+ polys is just SOOO damned messy it screws up the model totaly.

Mike RB
02-10-2002, 02:49 AM
check out my modeling movie called "the many ways to add detail"
on www.presetcentral.com

i cover a couple of ways to do what you're asking with normal LW tools.

Mike

chlywly
02-10-2002, 02:57 AM
Yeah I had those but I couldn't make ANYTHING out :) they go way too fast and they are pretty low quality so I can't really see anything thats going on :)

but if you could possibly write me the way to do that properly id appreciete it.

Mike RB
02-10-2002, 03:03 AM
sorry man. i dont have much time to write tutorials. Its all smooth shift, bandsaw and drag points....

Mike

rickycox
02-11-2002, 02:33 PM
sorry I just wanted to see my avatar :-)

marioucci
02-12-2002, 04:47 AM
man i love ur tut!!!!!
i have one question:
when you have two polys rows and you selected only two polys and merged all the row... how did u do that??

Mike RB
02-12-2002, 08:00 AM
plane belt optimize or 'pbo'. look for it on flay.

Mike

policarpo
02-13-2002, 01:29 AM
Mike RB...do you know of anyway of selecting a continuous set of polygons?

I downloaded a plugin which allows me to select a continuous ring/set of Points that works very very well (Point Rail Selector). It allows me to select two adjacent points which defines the direction i want to select, and selects the remainder automatically.

Let me know if my question needs more details in order to be clear.

Well...many thanks in advance...
:D

- p o l i c a r p o

marioucci
02-13-2002, 02:58 AM
mike,
thanks a lot for the pbo tip man!!!!
it will help me a lot!!!!!!

Mike RB
02-13-2002, 06:22 AM
continuous set? you mean like select connected? or "]" in modeler?

Chewey
02-13-2002, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by policarpo
Mike RB...do you know of anyway of selecting a continuous set of polygons?

--snipped some stuff---

- p o l i c a r p o

I think you're looking for the plugin Bandsaw. It will let you select 2 adjacent polys and it will select a band of polys and will also split that band if so desired.

policarpo
02-13-2002, 08:13 AM
yeah i guess I could use bandsaw...it's just that i've used 3ds max for so long, i forget how easy things can sometimes be in lightwave....

i guess the Point Rail Selector is all i really need if i what to move my continuous set of faces around (like scale and stretch them however i need to).

thanks guys...bandsaw rules...and so does bandslice.

:-)

-policarpo

policarpo
02-13-2002, 08:20 PM
okay...i was thinking about this this morning.

Let's say i want to smooth shift a row of faces which run as a ring around the object. now i could manually select this "ring" of polygons and smooth shift them...but i want to save precious seconds so i can get home and watch this night's episode of 6 Feet Under...is there a plug-in which will do the selection for me based on the direction/orientation of 2 faces i've selected.

like this below:

step 1- You have your geometry
http://www.policarpo.org/downloads/0000.jpg

step 2- You select your faces (2 to provide the direction of the selection ring)
http://www.policarpo.org/downloads/0001.jpg

step 3-Your ring of faces is selected
http://www.policarpo.org/downloads/0002.jpg

step 4-Your Smooth Shift the faces in to create a crease in your object
http://www.policarpo.org/downloads/0003.jpg

-------------------------------------------

now, the reason i bring up the automatic Polygon Ring selection plug-in need is that suppose you need to add more definition to this crease area (and you forgot to name this group of polygons when they were originally selected)...it seems like it would be a little bit of a pain to go in there an select them manually in order to add the detail you need to.

is there a fast way of doing this...bypassing the manual selection process.

i'm all ears.

:-)

-policarpo

Chewey
02-13-2002, 09:23 PM
Try the plugin "Bandsaw". It can be used to just select that row/band of polys based on the 2 polys you select.

Bandsaw can be set to not "saw" the polys.

policarpo
02-13-2002, 09:27 PM
damn chewey!

you are the man! thanks.

i've only used bandsaw for cutting geometry...i never thought to use it for selecting faces.

many thanks...you've just made my life easier.

:D

-policarpo

now next question....Bandsaw only seems to select 1 row of apolygon ring...what do i do if i need to select a set of polygon rings that are comprised of 3 rows?

i tried doing Shift Select after bandsaw selected the initial row, and activating bandsaw again to no avail.

many many thanks...

Mike RB
02-13-2002, 09:48 PM
select the middle row with bandsaw. then while holding shift hit ']' once, it will expand the selection and grab the 2 neighbor rows.

Mike

policarpo
02-13-2002, 09:54 PM
Awesome...just tried it and it works great.

I guess also using the Hide Unselected also helps tremendously in order to really assist you on focusing on the details when adding details.

thanks.

-policarpo

Chewey
02-13-2002, 10:21 PM
Also notice that bandsaw will slice more than the single slice that shows up by default. You can add multiple slices once you select the enable divide function by using the "add" button.

Have you checked out the select by "Sketch Color"
in the Poly Statistics window? I use it a lot for making certain polys easy to select once I've got them initially selected and go into setting a unique sketch color to them. (I'd like to see more colors offered than the 13 currently available)

I'd recommend checking out the most excellent plugin "Vertibevel" if you have the money for it.
Really one of the best plugins available. Wish they'd port it over to over platforms.

DaveW
02-13-2002, 11:16 PM
If the 3 rows are all next to each other, use bandsaw to select the middle row, then expand the selection with shift-]. If they're not all next to each other then you can use bandsaw to select a ring, make a part out of it, and then use the poly stats panel to select the polys with the same part name.

chlywly
02-13-2002, 11:25 PM
someone should still write a plugin ;) that will subdevide selected geometry and make all the outer polys fit perfectly with quads :)
that would rock, i'd buy that for sure.

policarpo
02-14-2002, 07:53 AM
thanks chewey...thanks mike...

i love lightwave a lot...it's just making the transition from Max has been weird...i have to stop thinking along Max's lines...things are set up more linearly in lightwave....

i guess that's why it's so good for production.

cheers,
-policarpo

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.