PDA

View Full Version : Q : What to put in a concept for an animated trailer?

Brötje
01-31-2005, 07:13 PM
Hey everyone,

I've just been asked by a producer to make a concept for an animated trailer of a film festival. He also asked lots of other people to do the same. I have some sweet ideas, but I have no idea what to put in the proposition for this trailer so it looks a bit professional.

So if you guys could set me on my way as to what content a proposistion should contain, I would be thankfull.

CHEERS!

dobermunk
01-31-2005, 09:05 PM
Well ,the minimum is artboards and storyboards. THe first to communicate look, the second to communicate what will happen. Have sound? Refeernce sound can make a difference.

Showing animatics can be risky, some clients won't be able to differentiate between what you are trying to show (timing, movement, treatment etc.) and will only see the cheap cut out graphics. Others will appreciate that in combination with the above elements.

Helpful?

Brötje
01-31-2005, 09:12 PM
Hey David!

Yes, that is helpfull! I'm busy sketching now. Lots of work to be done. The proposition is due this week.

I really love your animatics! That's a really cool style you have there.

Thanks!

CHEERS!

dobermunk
01-31-2005, 09:48 PM
Cool. Wish you the best!

btw What aniamtics are you referring to?

scotttygett
02-03-2005, 12:56 AM
I am not sure what we're talking about here... a trailer, an animatic for a trailer, or a concept for an animatic for a trailer?

If there's no script yet, or while animaticking it you discover you need to rewrite, then that's one road.

groups.yahoo.com/writingcomedy is a bunch of comedy writers and there are other places to check your humor and ask for polish help. That is, if your work will be comedy.

If you want to pitch an animatic that will become a short film submitted to a film festival -- and it's not too clear that this is what you want to do, your story has to work as a short with a beginning, middle and end, though film "markets" probably show a lot of "trailers" without any.

hatran
02-03-2005, 07:30 AM
"to make a concept for an animated trailer "
i think you should care of the demand of the client. just CONCEPT. so you do not need to do what too complicated and would take you long time. The time it limited so do all quick and in time. I think that's the professional way.
Good luck.

dobermunk
02-03-2005, 09:59 AM
Hmm. I understood this as a trailer FOR the festival, i.e. an animation introducing the festival, to be played as an opener and with branding elements for the festival.

???

scotttygett
02-05-2005, 09:41 AM
If Dobermunk is right, and this post is about coming up with a concept for a film festival of some kind using animation, that's a plum of a project to be "concepting" for. I'm still a little uncomfortable with newfangled words like "re-purpose" and "concepting," but I remember when I first saw Station X's "Ray Tracey" intro for SIGGRAPH. Pretty nice stuff.

CGTalk Moderation
02-05-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.