PDA

View Full Version : New Zbrush Tutorial - The Cartoon Female

lildragon
09-11-2002, 02:34 PM
Paul Hitchenson has written a very detailed tutorial, illustrating how he made a cartoony female using Zbrush 1.5

http://www.pixolator.com/zbc-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=007824

Very nice

newek
09-11-2002, 02:51 PM
nice work! beauty girl ...i like:^_^

Chewey
09-11-2002, 03:07 PM
Pretty cool stuff there! Looks like I should take another look at Zbrush.

Cool girl "stuff"!!

lildragon
09-11-2002, 03:22 PM
And just think, this tut doesn't even utilize the new Zsphere tool, that's a masterpiece!!!

-wT-
09-11-2002, 03:35 PM
ZBrush makes me sad, it feels like there wouldn't be any point in learning the "original" way of polygon scuplting anymore :sad:

Especially when was looking at one of those animated gifs, and when the guy just turned that ZSphere'd model into a lowpoly with a keypress... snif... :cry:

Aura
09-11-2002, 03:43 PM
Really useful~~
Amazing steps of the models~~
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

D. Phoenix
09-11-2002, 04:25 PM
Very fine work there, I am a fan of the Danger Girl series.
An innovative modelling method.

Chewey is right- I should take another look at Zbrush.

On a related note, this is the reference picture by J. Scott Campbell.
http://www.imagescentral.com/images/full/11970/dgspc_natla.jpg

-D. Phoenix

GRMac13
09-11-2002, 06:01 PM
mmmm...TOON-o-licious!

Seriously, great stuff there. Are Z brush models exportable to Max or Maya? Also, how big of an adjustment is it for us "poly-worshippers" to make the switch to Zbrush? Is the workflow and technique THAT much different, or can we translate certain skills in the new package? I'm really curious, I've heard alot about Zbrush, but never got any details.

ToddD
09-11-2002, 07:04 PM
Those are some sexy pixels! I like the style of the work.

supaflai
09-11-2002, 08:18 PM
Really nice models.... no doubt about that.

To answer the question about exports formats supported, I found it in their FAQ section....

ZBrush supports the following 2D image formats:
.PSD (Photoshop document)
.BMP (Windows Bitmap)
.PICT (Macintosh PICT2)
ZBrush supports the following 3D object formats:
.ZTL (ZBrush native - geometry, color, texture and materials saved)
.DXF (Geometry only)
.OBJ (Wavefront Object) includes 3 files: a) OBJ (Geometry with texture UV coordinates)
b) MTL (Materials library referencing the name of the texture to be used)
c) BMP (Texture file to be mapped onto the OBJ file - manually Texture/Import to use in ZBrush)
Note: .BMP can save images "up-side up" and "up-side down." Because BMP can flip your texture, you may need to 'Flip V' within the Texture/Modifiers Panel.

Per-Anders
09-11-2002, 08:33 PM
wish they had a demo of 1.5, would like to try out the polysphere tool as it looks pretty impressive in the animated gifs. but the 1.23 version seems the same as the demo i tried some time ago, it never really caught me. but i'd like to have another look at it.

Sleepless
09-11-2002, 08:42 PM
I gotta feeling 3d modeling is gonna change alot in the next 5 yrs.

GRMac13
09-11-2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Sleepless
I gotta feeling 3d modeling is gonna change alot in the next 5 yrs.

Well there'll always be new techniques introduced, as with all aspects of CG. However, I don't think it's going to change to a point where you won't see poly-modeling anymore. It's like mo-cap, it's a new and faster technique, but it'll never replace classical key-frame animation. People will always choose the best tools for the job, or the tools they enjoy using the most.

Cadillacs57
09-11-2002, 11:46 PM
thanks a lot for the link... this tutorial helps me a lot.... im just starting so is a great reference for me:thumbsup:

kazbear
09-12-2002, 02:37 AM
I can't really say how much different Zmodeling would be from what you are used to, but I would suggest this: Get the Demo. Of course you would want 1.5 but the 1.23b demo has some great things to show you. One of the most impressive is ZScripts. There are many that have been posted, and the demo should run most of them (Except, of course, the 1.5 ones...).

One of the most basic aspects of ZScripts is the ability to record a modeling session. Every click and step is recorded, alowing for exact playback. If you get the demo, check out this script by Ken Brilliant: http://www.pixolator.com/zbc-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=004614
He shows low poly modeling that you may find interesting. He takes many of his models into LW for various reasons, so the export features are there for you.

The Quicklinks section from http://www.pixolator.com/zbc-bin/ultimatebb.cgi has many ZScripts and tips to get you started. And the ZScripts are like watching over the shoulder of the masters...

-kaz

facial
09-12-2002, 08:19 AM
What a nice girl, I realy like it. :applause:
:thumbsup: Well done, man. Keep postup.

d_hansbury
09-12-2002, 01:12 PM
but those girls looked bad....real bad.

Not only is that whole "my waist is half the width of my head" style really ugly, but those models didn't do any more justice.

No offense to the guy who did them, but I've seen better stuff come out of poser.

Wiro
09-12-2002, 01:54 PM
I'm not a big fan of the DG drawing style either and it's fine to state your opinion but a more respectful tone could have gotten your point across just as well.

Wiro

d_hansbury
09-13-2002, 02:45 PM
I get very frustrated with the 3d society when it seems that we have new groundbreaking technology in our hands and the first thing we do to show it off is model the worst example of professional 2d artwork we have available.

I didn't mean to cut down the artist's skills (which I'm sure are very good) but I hate to see us all take one step forward, two steps back. :hmm:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.