PDA

View Full Version : HDRI & Shadows Suggestions

Doubt
01-31-2005, 08:38 AM
Hi all,

I'm not a very experienced lighter or renderer, so I'm trying to figure out some simple ways to solve some pretty common problems. I like how my HDRI is her except it is lighting the insides of my nostrils and the corners of my mouth too much. Right now, I only have 1 area light in the scene along w/ the HDRI sphere.

What would be the proper way to solve this problem by looking at the image? Right now, this is only final gathering, GI is not turned on. The shader is called Human Skin 1.1 with my rendermapped diffuse texture put in.

I want to continue to light with HDRI, I just don't know out to work out the small problems that it seems to cause.

Thanks--

oh, some other importan things about my rendering setup to help you help me:
Maya 6 - Mental Ray

Image Based Lighting Tab:
Emit Light - Off
Emit Photos - Off

Raytraced Shadows (I think, there's so many damn shadow settings everywhere I don't know where to look)

Lemme know if there's more specific you need to know, not really sure what to tell--

Daniel Whitton
01-31-2005, 08:44 AM
It looks like the image is to specular or to diffuse. You may want to turn down these attributes in your skin shader,or you can turn down the color gain on your HDR image.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Doubt
01-31-2005, 09:02 AM
The color gain for the HDRI has already been turned down to prevent her from blowing out even more. I haven't added a specular map to the skin material yet, although this shader is all setup with a slot for one already.

Fixing these nostrils though would have more to do with lighting and shadows than it would with the skin material though right?

MissViz
01-31-2005, 01:00 PM
It looks like you've got too much diffusion ... You can try making the diffuse map a bit darker. And lighten the color map the amount you make the diffuse map darker. Also try switching the "Enable Default Light" off. It's in Render Globals -> Common -> Render Options.

Doubt
01-31-2005, 06:06 PM
Enable Default Lights are already turned off...

I'm not currently using both a diffuse map and a color map, my diffuse is just set to .8 and my map is plugged into the color channel.

Maybe I'll try playing around with that number as well as using separate maps possibly.

CGTalk Moderation
01-31-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.