PDA

View Full Version : Maya 6.5 on the horizon

Crazzy Legs
01-31-2005, 02:56 AM
I might be jumping the gun..but look at this
http://www.rfx.com/products/maya65/maya65.htm

nope I don't think I'm jumping the gun. But the horizon is still a fare distance away.

Jackdeth
01-31-2005, 02:59 AM
Hmmmmmmmm..... they better have fixed some shit this time. I swear I spend over half my time everyday just working around buggy code.

ColinCohen
01-31-2005, 04:24 AM
Interesting. I've never seen a Maya competitive upgrade offer before.

SpiralFace
01-31-2005, 04:49 AM
Here we go again.

I wonder if any of Motion builder's aspects are going to be built into the new edition...

PhillipCrond
01-31-2005, 05:11 AM
I wish it said "Fixes to dozens of crippling bugs!" but I'm glad it doesn't say "New fluid effects!"

leuey
01-31-2005, 05:25 AM
I agree, Maya is starting to feel a lot like what LW has become. Frankensteinish, bloated, outdated and unwieldly. It seems like they put a lot more effort into adding more 'stuff' than making what they have better. Maybe that's what sells.

Keep yer eye on Luxology, at least they had the sense to start over.

-Greg

Hmmmmmmmm..... they better have fixed some shit this time. I swear I spend over half my time everyday just working around buggy code.

Para
01-31-2005, 08:47 AM
Keep yer eye on Luxology, at least they had the sense to start over.

So did Softimage ;)

PyRoT
01-31-2005, 09:12 AM
WoW. I've never seen so many similiar complaints about Maya. I happen to use 3D Studio MAX. I always thought Maya was really stable and taht only MAX had issues. I think I know now why Discreet has been trying to improve upon its features in the last few versions as well as adding new thigns instead of just concentrating on the latter.

Hope you get you fixes guys.

NUKE-CG
01-31-2005, 09:21 AM
Bloated? I would have figured that would be a good aspect for 3D software. Out-dated? hmmm cannot agree on that either.

Obviously 6.0 was an upgrade of hundreds of little updates to functionality, 6.5 is hundreds of speed boosts, its what has to happen when you have spend 3-4 versions before it adding mountains of features to a demanding and critical userbase.

I just hope they've scrapped all the MEL hack tools, and made them plug-ins.

dotTom
01-31-2005, 09:41 AM
This link got posted over in the Maya app specific forum (in the Maya 7 thread). There's still no update to the Alias web site... maybe later this afternoon...

As a software engineer I'm much rather Alias spent some time refactoring their code base at this point rather than adding more features. Alias like everyone else has to gear up for 64 bit and prevalent concurrency (multi core CPUs) in the near future - both of which, particularly the later require a healthy and sane code base.

dotTom
01-31-2005, 10:35 AM
So did Softimage ;)

If Alias where to "start over" and emerge with a 1.0 product with even half the features Maya 6.x has today then you'd have a much more unstable product than you have right now. This is not a slur on the software engineers at Alias, it's pretty much a fact of life. Maya is a mature and solid platform and Alias would be insane to "throw it away". Like any ISV with a large application one hopes they're investing heavily in test driven development, which will let them refactor the code with confidence. One of the problems with large and old code bases is that they become very brittle and difficult to change without introducing more hassles. Again this is fact of life, it will happen to XSI, it will happen to Modo. It's actually very hard to take a new version whos major features are: "doesn't crash", "uses less memory", "is a bit faster" into the market place against some other product that has "XYZ new feature" - the majortity (and maybe CGTalker's aren't the majority) of users are dazzled by the new, even if they will never use said new features in-anger, they'll tend towards the new. It's human nature.

HamsaPaksham
01-31-2005, 11:29 AM
I saw the specs on the internet.
It seems Maya is a lot faster.
They have not added anything though.

I really think they should make Maya easier to use and rebuild the interface. Like XSI.

thematt
01-31-2005, 11:30 AM
If Alias where to "start over" and emerge with a 1.0 product with even half the features Maya 6.x has today then you'd have a much more unstable product than you have right now. This is not a slur on the software engineers at Alias, it's pretty much a fact of life. Maya is a mature and solid platform and Alias would be insane to "throw it away". Like any ISV with a large application one hopes they're investing heavily in test driven development, which will let them refactor the code with confidence. One of the problems with large and old code bases is that they become very brittle and difficult to change without introducing more hassles. Again this is fact of life, it will happen to XSI, it will happen to Modo. It's actually very hard to take a new version whos major features are: "doesn't crash", "uses less memory", "is a bit faster" into the market place against some other product that has "XYZ new feature" - the majortity (and maybe CGTalker's aren't the majority) of users are dazzled by the new, even if they will never use said new features in-anger, they'll tend towards the new. It's human nature.

well said..:)

itsallgoode9
01-31-2005, 11:32 AM
This post could just be from an ignorant maya user, but it kinda just seems like mostly media buzz that could be generically posted before any new version of Maya is planning on comming out when seller site is wanting to create some buzz about the next version of maya before it is posted to get you to to lock on to thier "upgrade special" hence the "offer expires February 14, 2005". I hadn't ever run across this site or heard of it before so sorry for the "Naysayer-isim" if it is wrong or premature. Just my 2 cents.

neilyb
01-31-2005, 11:53 AM
So they MAY have fixed the problems they created in previous versions......but how much will we have to pay for another .5 upgrade?

Byla
01-31-2005, 12:27 PM
A lot probably.... yeah, Maya is getting too big in all aspects, even in the Buggy department.

NUKE-CG
01-31-2005, 12:30 PM
Same price. Don't like what they bring to the table? don't upgrade.

Time is money and Time is precious, it's up to the user(s) to decide if that money will be regained, or their time is worth that. I just spent thousands on upgrading my computer, so I can add more detail and render it faster, I don't see how it is different for software..

itsallgoode9
01-31-2005, 01:04 PM
Same price. Don't like what they bring to the table? don't upgrade.

Time is money and Time is precious, it's up to the user(s) to decide if that money will be regained, or their time is worth that. I just spent thousands on upgrading my computer, so I can add more detail and render it faster, I don't see how it is different for software..

Good thought man! The upgrade is somthing I would be annoyed about too, but when you put it out there flat and blunt like you said, it is true! It is kinda how I complain how EA basically puts out the same football game every single year for another 50 damn bucks! (now I usually don't buy sports games because I'm not a large sports VG fan) but I still complain left and right to my friends......I guess it's the same thing on a different scale! It really is one of those things that we all complain about it, but we ALLLLLLLLLLL just don't think about like that!

maxx10
01-31-2005, 02:15 PM
page is up again at Alias... let's see how long it'll last this time :twisted:

http://www.alias.com/eng/products-services/industries/feature_film/index.shtml#new

elvis75k
01-31-2005, 02:20 PM
http://www.alias.com/eng/products-services/maya/new/index65.shtml

That's better...

GaryHaus
01-31-2005, 02:41 PM
Guys,

I just want to chime in here. I really like Maya, I have used many different apps since starting in this field(1992). Yes there are definitely areas where Maya can improve. They have been listed before many times, so I'm not going to do that. I do want to state however that this is the first time I have seen Alias release such a weak .5 update(feature set, not necessarily whizbang stuff) and expect people to pay a full upgrade price. I realize I definitely do not have to upgrade at this point, but from the list of 'features'(PR spin) this version seems oddly light and maybe even a rehash of (some) of the features in Maya 6.0. Anyway that is my two cents.

Cheers,

Gary Haus

chadtheartist
01-31-2005, 03:12 PM
When I get the dough, I'm going to buy Maya Unlimited, and the annual maintenance program, and thus getting every upgrade, regardless of the feature set. I wish I would have thought about that when I bought Maya Complete a few years ago. Now I understand the value of the annual maintenance cost.

$1,300 bucks a year to keep everything up to date, and the added bonus of support is a pretty good deal if you ask me. Especially if this is your livelihood.

So for now, I just sit back and keep working on my copy of Maya 4.5 Complete. :P

Lyr
01-31-2005, 03:22 PM
This upgrade also includes the latest mental ray upgrade. Oh and satellite rendering WITH licenses, 2 for complete, 8 for unlimited. If you don't think that is worth upgrading for http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/shrug.gif.

ThomasMahler
01-31-2005, 03:42 PM
If 6.5 is bug-free and real fast, that's enough reason for me to upgrade (I'm still at 5.0 here).

A bug-free Maya... weeee, that'd be something!

dotTom
01-31-2005, 03:44 PM
If 6.5 is bug-free and real fast, that's enough reason for me to upgrade (I'm still at 5.0 here).

A bug-free Maya... weeee, that'd be something!

There are no "useful" bug-free programs :)

dotTom
01-31-2005, 03:51 PM
Just called Alias UK. To upgrade from 6.x it'll cost you 695 + VAT+ shipping. They're not actually going to start moving boxes until around the 14th of February - so no immediate need to damage our credit cards.

bjoern
01-31-2005, 04:14 PM
this Version is a total a joke...
Still no EdgeLoop etc..., and all this basis sh*t (please no answer about free melscripts, I know that)
And noooooo Renderpasses, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrg
Seems to be another Year for XSI!! Damned Alias you are making me angry.

ThomasMahler
01-31-2005, 04:23 PM
Well, modeling never was Mayas strongest point and it probably never will - I don't care if they add 2 or 3 new tools for poygonal modeling... I'd rather see some of motion builders advantages going straight into Maya. Maya is very strong when it comes to animation, thanks to it's node based architecture and MEL - I wouldn't bother if they'd never update the polygonal modeling package again.

elvis75k
01-31-2005, 04:26 PM
bjoern says: And noooooo Renderpasses, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrg...

Again??

bjoern
01-31-2005, 04:37 PM
@Elvis75k
jepp, they did it again :(( NO,NO Renderpasses.
This is no feature... where Alias has an status to disregard.
THIS is unbelievable, how can an company sooo barefaced!!

NUKE-CG
01-31-2005, 04:44 PM
I don't think Alias have the final 'What's New' PDF on the site yet, there are like 3 things listed, yet watching the videos you can see a few new things unlisted pop up. One being the new Ambient Occlusion node, Final Gather requires less rays, Shadow Maps can now work with transparent materials (like RT), 4K Images for 3D Paint, and satellite rendering nodes, which by themselves nearly pay off the upgrade. And they are just the rendering|MR related additions.

This seems to be marketed as '6.0:Refined' if you ask me, Alias' chance to stop, rebuild, and then push forward. Though I'd love lots of new additions, maybe this is better for the long run, we don't want it to turn into a 3DS Max, right? :argh:

AA_Tyrael
01-31-2005, 05:01 PM
is it out or will be out on the near future?

lyndon
01-31-2005, 05:06 PM
And noooooo Renderpasses, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrg

What do you mean? Maya has renderpasses...always has hasn't it?

Look under the tab called "RENDER LAYER/PASS CONTROL" in the rendering options

digita
01-31-2005, 05:16 PM
There's no the bug fixes list on Maya 6.5 What's New page.

bjoern
01-31-2005, 05:18 PM
ohh man please... I mean, Bugfree Renderpasses. Not the Alias interpretation.
and Reflectionpasses Refractionpasses for example

Iconoklast
01-31-2005, 05:21 PM
Oh nice, they added context sensitive menus for polygon objects using shift+rmb. That's handy :D

fr3drik
01-31-2005, 05:27 PM
6.5 is actually available for download for all platinum members. yay! :)

leuey
01-31-2005, 06:43 PM
Bloated? I would have figured that would be a good aspect for 3D software. Out-dated? hmmm cannot agree on that either.

It sounds like I came down pretty hard on Maya - but yes, aspects of the program are outdated (poly modelling, render passes, skinning, particle rendering, volumetric rendering, the subD implementation). I think it's reasonable to say that there are parts of Maya that haven't seen an update in quite a while (I started using at 2.5 (I think, it was a while ago..)

Anyway, after using Modo this last month (stability aside) - it just feels a lot more 'modern'. And if you look at the amount of memory Maya uses compared to other programs and the unfinished feel of the MR implemention - yeah, kind of bloated too. Or at least overweight. :)

best,

Greg

leuey
01-31-2005, 06:51 PM
I'm not going to argue with you - you make good points. I think I should clarify when I said 'start over'. I'm not talking about throwing everything out the window and literally starting over from scratch. If you've used Modo you'll see that a lot of stuff from LW was 're-implemented' (if that's a word) into Modo. And yes, stability is a huge issue.

But at what point do they stop? Maya 12.5? Maya 37.62? It's not like people would stop using Maya the moment Alias releases a new program either. The company I was with at the time used LW 6.5 for at least a year after 7.0 was released b/c of the stability factor.

My current impression of Maya is that it's just becomming HUGE. And after a couple of updates without the MR integration becoming what I believe most of us want it to be - you start to wonder if it ever will.

At any rate, it looks like I may have to eat my words reading the update info. on Alias's site (not a bunch of new features, but a more streamlined/faster program)

best,

Greg

If Alias where to "start over" and emerge with a 1.0 product with even half the features Maya 6.x has today then you'd have a much more unstable product than you have right now. .

csutcliffe
01-31-2005, 07:04 PM
I don't quite get the upgrade pricing policy of Alias in that the cost of upgrading Maya complete costs around 40 percent of buying the software new whereas the price of upgrading unlimted is less than 20 percent of buying it new. I'm not suggesting that the cost of upgrading complete should be 20 percent the cost of buying new (it would be bloody nice though) but it does seem a little expensive. I was kind of hoping that Alias would adopt a more aggressive pricing policy, in a similair way to what Softimage did.

BTW does anybody know what the cost of upgrading the Intermediate version of Softimage is?

JDex
01-31-2005, 07:07 PM
BTW does anybody know what the cost of upgrading the Intermediate version of Softimage is?

No one knows yet... they haven't issued a purchaseable update since the price reduction.

But the cost of maintenance is quite affordable and local SI resellers tend to make it quite the bargain from my discussions with them.

WhiteRabbitObj
01-31-2005, 07:27 PM
Very much a 6.02 patch, not an upgrade. I dunno. I never jumped on the "what?! that's IT?!?!" bandwagon before for Maya, but this time there seriously seems to be nothing justifying a version upgrade.

Crazzy Legs
01-31-2005, 07:52 PM
itsallgoode9- I'm not an ignorant maya user. I do use Maya, but I'm not ignorent about 3D software. Anyways, keep the piece man, don't throw stuff like that around. I'm just telling everyone whats happening that all.

CIM
01-31-2005, 08:08 PM
Very much a 6.02 patch, not an upgrade. I dunno. I never jumped on the "what?! that's IT?!?!" bandwagon before for Maya, but this time there seriously seems to be nothing justifying a version upgrade.

Every time a new version of Maya rolls around, a few ppl. always cry about it not being worthy of whatever version Alias dubs it. If you don't like it, don't upgrade. Nobody is making you change up.

I for one am glad Alias is focusing more on performance and workflow, and not useless new features. Sure, things like Fluids and Hair are cool, but really aren't all that useful most of the time.

magan3D
01-31-2005, 08:10 PM
I don't see it?
Does anybody know if Maya 6.5 has 64 Bit support for those G5 Macs out there?

Dr. Ira Kane
01-31-2005, 08:11 PM
Don't forget it's all about money, they are not making the software for us to work comfy but for them to make money on it(well at least it's the first target). Looks like Alias is very self-confident, but things change, and it can be really funny soon:D

benwatt
01-31-2005, 08:14 PM
No one knows yet... they haven't issued a purchaseable update since the price reduction.

But the cost of maintenance is quite affordable and local SI resellers tend to make it quite the bargain from my discussions with them.

Prices are starting to filter through now - the production pack is back for newcomers :)
http://www.alias.com/eng/purchase/promotions/index.shtml

bjoern
01-31-2005, 08:40 PM
I want to have only one time that feeling... wahhhhuuuuuu what a great version....
I can't remember.
So, I'm just a Maya user because Alias has the biggest market.
And the most Jobs for Artist.
If i had the posibility to switch, I'm just after a second an XSI User! lucky people they are!!

NUKE-CG
01-31-2005, 08:40 PM
To read the whole 202 page 'What's New' PDF - it's at the Support page.

http://www.alias.com/eng/support/maya/updates/pages/maya_65_upgrade.jhtml

Crazzy Legs
01-31-2005, 09:08 PM
I've never seen Alias have such a quiet release of a Maya upgrade. You actually have to look for the fact that 6.5 is out on their website. I can't belive it isn't on their front page.

NUKE-CG
01-31-2005, 09:57 PM
It is on their front page, has been for hours..

And reading through the What's New section, mentalRay for Maya sounds amazing. 1/10 of FG rays required, Rapid Scanline, handles much more polygons, AO and SSS nodes, all texture filtering types, area light now works, IPR supports object, lights and camera moves, region rendering, satellite rendering, FG Shadow "collector".

Those alone interests me to upgrading, but I understand some won't care about those features. Being a modeler, I'm disapointed Alias has to use MJ Polygon Tools, a MEL script collection made by a 14 year-old, in their videos! For shame really, that is a HUGE slap in the face.

rock
01-31-2005, 10:16 PM
The bug fix list is here in the Maya 6.5 Release Notes pdf:

http://www.alias.com/eng/support/maya/updates/pages/includes/ReleaseNotes_Maya65.pdf

bjoern
02-01-2005, 12:18 AM
everyone is here so lucky about the new MR features.
But sorry this is not about Alias, this is about Mental Images. And Alias
did here again comparing to Max and XSI a bad, bad Job.
Put all the MR stuff by side, and see what we get :-) not much.... and on Top
no renderpasses.. shame on you Alias, shame on you!!

SOPLAND
02-01-2005, 01:03 AM
I don't see it?
Does anybody know if Maya 6.5 has 64 Bit support for those G5 Macs out there?

Doubt it since Macs don't even have a 64 bit OS yet.

digita
02-01-2005, 01:32 AM
I wonder if fluids or the ocean shader work the same way in Mental ray as the Maya renderer - as of Maya 6, this is not the case. There's no mention of it. This upgrade just feels pretty much like an empty shell - if it was not for Mental Images mental ray upgrade, it's not much of an upgrade at all. And still mental ray is not seamlessly integrated in 6.5. All of the changes or upgrade, with the exception of mental ray nodes, should be free - a .02 upgrade.

arneltapia
02-01-2005, 01:36 AM
Maya has many things to learn yet than Max... :)

FloydBishop
02-01-2005, 03:51 AM
There was so much negative energy in this thread, I thought I'd chime in with the opposite.

I like Maya and I use it all the time.

Don't forget that Alias is a company that has just gone through a bunch of growing pains, with dropping the "Wavefront" and all that went with it, and the acquisition of Motionbuilder. It's not suprising that there are not a million new features this go round.

Also, thanks to all the Alias staff who visit these forums and pay attention to the user base.

I'm looking forward to what you guys have in store.

Rick Flowers
02-01-2005, 04:40 AM
I am also very pleased with Maya, and look forward to the new upgrade. All these complaints and negativity in this thread is almost as if the posters in question were just waiting for a thread like this to nag on.
The same happens with Discreet's, and so on....
If you hate Maya, or hate Alias, or are going to judge this stuff without any educated opinion negatively... Go with another brand and software.

PureFire
02-01-2005, 05:12 AM
Sure its not perfect yet but they are improving some things at least. I would hope by the next release (maya7 ?) they do address the bugs and fix some of the basics instead of always looking at the latest and greatest addition.

NUKE-CG
02-01-2005, 05:24 AM
One can expect Maya 7.0 out before Xmas also. :thumbsup:

Or maybe very soon after Windows XP 64bit, would explain the early-release performance/code clean-up upgrade for 6.5, paving the way for 7.0. 64bit could very well be on the cards (and polygon tools Alias!!).

Kabab
02-01-2005, 05:33 AM
Fur motion blur bug fixed :)

Oh and 3 gig memory limit now :)

maninflash
02-01-2005, 05:37 AM
The most important new feature in 6.5 is it's ability to use 2.6 GB of RAM. Version 6 could only use up to 1.5 GB under Windows XP, and this one gig upgrade would be a huge performance booster. Specialy on large scenes or animating complex characters, that's probably the max number thay can reach on 32bit platform thou. Until they switch to 64 bit.

One thing that I liked to see but didn't was the option to playblast directly as quicktime movie.

eatbug
02-01-2005, 05:44 AM
If you hate Maya, or hate Alias, or are going to judge this stuff without any educated opinion negatively... Go with another brand and software.

NO!! We don't want spend more time to learn other .It's a waste.

Maya is our friend.We just want maya more better,Not like now!

I really Think (all MEL and PLUGIN in Highend3d ) > Maya 6.5,It's shame!!
So I am proud of the user of maya ! They are so great.
and I can't believe that there is no related links of highend3d in alias.why?

It's a shame!! because we love maya !

leuey
02-01-2005, 06:51 AM
It's not so much nagging about the upgrade as paying for 'this works faster now' (especially if it used to be really slow) and 'this bug is fixed' (if you paid for it to begin with you shouldn't have to pay again to have it fixed) and 'we now support another company's features more fully (re: mental ray - nice but this area has been so lacking, and continues to lack - that paying for it yet again seems like not the greatest thing).

I'm all for fixing and streamlining parts of the program that need it - but isn't this what you paid for in the first place, especially the whole maintenence thing (not including Platinum)?

This release is a revenue generator for Alias and not a lot more. Many many smaller companies would have released this for free. A bunch of people bitched about Modo being overpriced - but $900 for a faster wrap deformer, some fixed tools, scene segmentation that most users outside of medium to large studios won't use, a cad importer, most optimizations that (in Alias's own words) probably won't even be noticed unless you have a really large dataset. And finally the most worthy, a more complete but still imcomplete MR integration. You get extra nodes but unless you have extra computers they're useless.

So yeah - charge for the mental ray nodes and satellite rendering and give the rest for free IMO.

best,

Greg

Kabab
02-01-2005, 06:56 AM
Perhaps they are addressing some base issues before added major fixes / changes...

Thoes small apps are all good and well but they focus on 1 specific task/user, Maya has to address ALOT of different markets and types of users therefore its updates are broader.

fortner
02-01-2005, 07:04 AM
man.....for all of you all bashing the 6.5 release....have you even read the release notes, and understand what they mean? HUGE performace increase. Yes, they fixed some bugs, what app doesn't have bugs. With this release maya will out perform any comparible 3d app out there (xsi, Max).

- Mike
character TD
www.reelfx.com
www.mikefortner.com

roger3d
02-01-2005, 10:11 AM
So did Softimage ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard somewhere that one of the reasons Softimage XSI didn't beat Maya in the early days was because it was not production ready yet (version 1 and 1.5).
:shrug:

roger3d
02-01-2005, 10:15 AM
One more thing... that's why the old Softimage 3D was alive until last year. To fill the gaps XSI had in the early days.

Stahlberg
02-01-2005, 10:26 AM
have you even read the release notes, and understand what they mean? HUGE performace increase.
They've said that with every single upgrade they ever made, as has every other software company in history. Slow performance is not one of my major gripes anyway. :shrug:

DimitrisLiatsos
02-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Well at least for me ( I use mostly Complete) every upgrade was better so i hope to see better stuff in 6.5 too...( ..to be honest the only version that gave me much trouble was version 5)...

But in any case i am waiting for this to come out...:bounce: ...and with improvements that don't bother with Fluids but the the every day stuff needed in a production....

fortner
02-01-2005, 04:34 PM
They've said that with every single upgrade they ever made, as has every other software company in history. Slow performance is not one of my major gripes anyway. :shrug:

I've used maya long enough to critique their updates. This one is seriouse. ATLEAST 2 times as fast with high poly meshes, and up to 3-4 times as fast with deforming geometry. And that is just talking about polygons, let alone the other areas that they have improved. That is a big increase in workflow, in a studio setting. animators can have higher res files that are a closer representation of the render mesh, animators will be happier with faster scenes and characters, lighters can actually light in windows, without having scripts that work around the performance hit of HUGE scenes, and lots of characters. All of these things combined, ends up with a lot faster workflow. Performance isn't my major grip either, but I have wanted alias to go back to the basic for quite a while now, and they have done it.....makes me happy and excited.

- Mike
character td
www.reelfx.com
www.mikefortner

NrgJake
02-01-2005, 05:34 PM
a working bevel.. wooo hooo! thats what i'm excited about. The detailed shadow maps are pretty neat also.

alas... i doubt i'll get a chance to use 6.5 for a while. I am broke.

shingo
02-01-2005, 08:52 PM
I'd be curious to know in what regards Maya 6.5 outperforms XSI 4.2. Seems like a pretty general and unsubstantiated comment to me.

Softimage have repeatedly stated that their Sub-d's, poly modelling, deformations and IK are many times faster than those in Maya, so if that has any truth to it, perhaps Alias have caught up.

Interesting though how inspite of the supposed improvements to TRAX, most of the animation videos are spent showing off Motion Builder.

man.....for all of you all bashing the 6.5 release....have you even read the release notes, and understand what they mean? HUGE performace increase. Yes, they fixed some bugs, what app doesn't have bugs. With this release maya will out perform any comparible 3d app out there (xsi, Max).

- Mike
character TD
www.reelfx.com (http://www.reelfx.com)
www.mikefortner.com (http://www.mikefortner.com)

Iconoklast
02-01-2005, 11:01 PM
I don't think it's necessary to get defensive about another app. All us maya users are just exciting to see that there are performance gains within Maya. Leave us to revel in it!
As far as the motion builder showcasing, well, I imagine that's a marketing thing. They did afterall just acquire Kaydara. What better way to show off it's tools other than showing off MB while they show off 6.5.

AA_Tyrael
02-01-2005, 11:39 PM
besides ,its pretty obvious that eventually they will implement it to maya ;-)

fortner
02-01-2005, 11:55 PM
I'd be curious to know in what regards Maya 6.5 outperforms XSI 4.2. Seems like a pretty general and unsubstantiated comment to me.

Softimage have repeatedly stated that their Sub-d's, poly modelling, deformations and IK are many times faster than those in Maya, so if that has any truth to it, perhaps Alias have caught up.

Interesting though how inspite of the supposed improvements to TRAX, most of the animation videos are spent showing off Motion Builder.

I told you in what regards. Actual production SCENES. Not a single sub - D character file that has some rigging and skinning in it. I'm not disputing that XSI does have an advantage when it comes to sub - ds. Maya has improved this some in 6.5......BUT......where we will see the biggest improvment, and what I'm most excited about are heavy production files with Big environment, a couple of characters, a vehicle.....all of which need to be animated and lit. This improvement will be big time, and like I said before " I'm happy about it". If you aren't then don't upgrade......I'm telling you right now though. If you are a maya user, you will be missing out.

shingo
02-02-2005, 12:10 AM
Point taken.

I'm certainly not getting defensive. I was just curious as to who provided the comparison and on what basis.

Maya users have ever reson to be excited about the new release, especially one that is stable and fast to work with. We use XSI, MAX, Motion Builder and Maya here and I always say to myself, if any one of these apps were rock solid and highly scalable, they would all be a dream to work with.

XSi 4.0 and May a 6.0 both burst of out the gate with a trick load of new features but were both flaky. It's nice to see the job finished in XSI 4.2 and hopefully in Maya 6.5.

I don't think it's necessary to get defensive about another app. All us maya users are just exciting to see that there are performance gains within Maya. Leave us to revel in it!
As far as the motion builder showcasing, well, I imagine that's a marketing thing. They did afterall just acquire Kaydara. What better way to show off it's tools other than showing off MB while they show off 6.5.

Rick Flowers
02-02-2005, 02:24 AM
Excuse me if I am mistaken but...

Defensive?

I think you have the wrong idea. I don't think anyone needs to get OFFENSIVE in this thread at/for/over software. ;)

Wilson-3d
02-02-2005, 04:38 PM
Hi. I think it sounds like a nice upgrade. It does seem pricy but I think the best way to look at it is 900 = faster and more stable = saving me time and money in the long run. It was probably different people posting back when 6.0 came out but I find it funny that (if my memory serves correct) when 6.0 came out everyone was bitching about the new features and saying make the ones work that we have first. It is funny how every time a new software program comes out a few people are happy, a bunch of people complain and a thread instantly goes up saying what they want in the next version. :)

Lorecanth
02-02-2005, 07:28 PM
oddly enough there hasn't been much mention on the ability to (supposedly) efficiently import CAD data. Considering most commercial/ spot work is done for a product that has been designed in CAD thats a fairly large new feature. I can tell you right now architects are going to love it. In any case I think they've justified the new price between this feature and mental ray sattelite rendering. Considering each additional CPU of mental ray you wanted to add costs a grand, now with the upgrade to maya complete thats 2k of savings.

beaker
02-02-2005, 07:47 PM

besides ,its pretty obvious that eventually they will implement it to maya ;-)No, Motion builder will not be implemented into Maya. I'm sure they will make the connection between the two flawless but that is it.

They said that they are looking for companies to aquire that will make them more money. Moving everything from Motionbuilder into Maya will make them less money not more. Making the two packages work perfect together will make people buy both packages, making them more profits.

benwatt
02-02-2005, 08:01 PM
No, Motion builder will not be implemented into Maya. I'm sure they will make the connection between the two flawless but that is it.

They said that they are looking for companies to aquire that will make them more money. Moving everything from Motionbuilder into Maya will make them less money not more. Making the two packages work perfect together will make people buy both packages, making them more profits.

Well, while MotionBuilder may not be fully implemented into Maya, they have said before that they intend to integrate some of the technologies of MB into Maya, which can only be a good thing. But yes, MotionBuilder is to remain the standalone animation package it's always been :)

AA_Tyrael
02-02-2005, 09:20 PM
They dont have to cancel the stand alone version...

But come on ,would it be suprising if they added motionbuilder features (modified on maya v 12 "unlimited fluid liter engine :P)

And in any case does anyone remember how maya was made ?

CGTalk Moderation
02-02-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.