PDA

View Full Version : Customization Stability Issues

JIII
01-31-2005, 01:23 AM
Okay so now i have figured out how to model in modo I am working on my own layout with my own custom hotkeyed Pie Menus. This is great and it works fine and all but after a few hours of tinkering with them adding and droping and figuring things out the program begins to lock up and freeze every 5th or 6th option I add or remove from a Menu. Not being a programmer I have to say I don't know a clue why this happens but modo Seems to die every five seconds because of this. Overall it's fairly stable yes but when you get under the hood and do alot of interface work you start running into a big stability issue. I just am wondering if anyone else has been having these problems. Also Luxology reads these forums quite regularly so I figured this is easy then emailing.

I hope this issue is fixed soon! :-)

Mylenium
01-31-2005, 06:13 AM
Yeah, I share your concerns. The problem is the multi-layered configuration approach. Unless you directly change the files in the resource directory, they will always be loaded first and then your personal configuration. Unfortunately Modo is not checking for redundandencies and potential conflicts and only appends configuration data everytime you change something and save your config so you easily end up with large config files with a lot of junk. As those are always being loaded again on startup, instabilities ensue. It is also not quite clear to me, how external config data is handled. Sometimes those references seem to be totally ignored even though correctly referenced and my keyboard shortcuts are gone. At one point I even had multiple references of the standard toolbars (Modo Modes and Modo Tools) for no obvious reason and could only get rid of the problem by going to the XML files directly - Modo had generated a duplicate ID for a menu so it had to be deleted twice. I hope they will add a tool "Check and clean up configuration data" which at least would spit out a report and point you at potential problems. I'm also not satisfied with the incremental saving of changes. We should have an option to export all changes on config export. This would allow for smaller config files and better portability from system to system. and yes, I might no longer need to hack the XML, which wasn't bad, either.

Mylenium

JIII
01-31-2005, 03:44 PM
Interesting point I think you are right. Another thing which I think "needs" to be in. Is a layout or display refresh button, there might be one but I haven't found it yet. The reason being that as I speak right now modo has "lost" the graphical boundry's between my viewports and has also "lost" the graphical pan, zoom, and rotate doohickys. If there was a simply refresh key, and there may be correct me if I am wrong, things would get alot easier.

JIII
01-31-2005, 04:01 PM
hmm, also another example of a refresh command being kind of needed. Blah, don't kill me if I haven't looked hard enough for it, which I probably haven't it's just something I thought needed attention :-).

JIII
01-31-2005, 07:23 PM
Sigh yet another customization issue. I got my Pie Menu made and working last night and decided to construct another one. Well I made my Pie Template, set my hotkey, added my commands, hit the hotkey and got... nothing. Actaully, I got a grey lil square shapre that had no commands in it.

I know I did exactly the same things in constructing this Pie Menu as the other one I made. I did the exact same things and got... nothing... Anyways if anyone has had a similar experience or has dealt with this issue before let me know.

Atten. Luxology I love your software but get these issues fixed :-). It's the best modeler and I love it but I just gotta be able to customize at the speed of thought, not just model :-D.

Marlboro-Man
05-19-2005, 08:54 AM
aye..

I'm getting the same crappy results as you guys are.

I've been making new additions to my pies, and after a while, modo suddenly got so damn unstable, it would crash just by me going into a poly mode or a vert mode. It kept crashing till i got so sick of it, i went in and deleted config.

Everything was stable again.

I loaded up some older form configs and key configs and things were back to normal..but after 5 mins i checked my pies, suddenly the old ( unstable , crashing ) configs came back and so did the old pies. I wonder where it came from coz i swear i deleted them!

It really is a pain. And it's not the first time i've deleted the configs only to have them return at some point to make things crash again and again.

Dion, are you there to help explain this? Even better give us a solution to this program.

Regards,

Marlboro Man

Dion Burgoyne
05-19-2005, 05:42 PM
A couple of things, I personally haven't seen the instability from adding/removing pie menu's but I'll definately look into it. I wrote a script a while ago that will allow you to disect your config file and pull the things out of it that you wanted, allowing you to delete it at will. Not a perfect solution, but it will allow you to keep a lot more of your custom stuff, without having to remake it.

It's on www.vertexmonkey.com

CGTalk Moderation
05-19-2005, 05:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.