PDA

View Full Version : Step-by-step group modeling

gjpetch
01-31-2005, 12:14 AM
I'm not sure if anyone will be interested in this:
I had the idea a couple of days ago that it would be fun to try a kind of group modelling; meaning one of us posts a very simple model, then whoever wants to can have a go at making whatever changes they want, then post their update. So over time we gradually add to the model, and hopefully at some point will have something pretty kick-ass. Hopefully the the process will be fun, as well as a really good way to learn about other people's modeling techniques and process. Does this sound like a good idea?
I've attached a very simple starting point; no rules, anyone who wants to can make as many or as little changes as they want, then post their update here.

gjpetch
02-01-2005, 03:28 AM
I've seen a few threads where people bounce an image back and fourth, doodleing extra stuff over the top of the last persons image. That's the idea here, a 3d modeling doodle that anyone can add to.

pencil-head
02-01-2005, 04:33 AM
Here's my contribution. I started from your first file. I thought some asymmetry would be good.

KolbyJukes
02-01-2005, 03:38 PM
what file format are these? Deep Exploration doesn't even recognize it, so I'm wondering what it is?

Ctrl-Z
02-01-2005, 04:18 PM
The one that Pencil Head posted is an OBJ

KolbyJukes
02-01-2005, 09:04 PM
strange, neither XSI nor deep exploration recognized the file, I'll have to try it at home.

mv
02-01-2005, 10:26 PM
well I'm not even able to open the zip files :sad: strange

gjpetch
02-01-2005, 10:46 PM
Hee hee, nice tenticle pencil_head.
Yeah, I noticed something strange when I download with Internet Explorer, the zip file ends up corrupted for some reason. Works fine when I use Firefox though.....

pencil-head
02-01-2005, 10:51 PM
Yeah i just realised it all work fine from work, but at home i couldn't get it to work either. I'll see if i can fix it when i get back. I think an old version of winzip might be the problem.

Ctrl-Z
02-02-2005, 02:00 AM
This is a really cool idea.

gjpetch
02-02-2005, 11:20 AM
some doodeling around the shoulder:

Ctrl-Z
02-02-2005, 11:52 AM
The latest mesh is jacked up for me. I can't see all the geometry.

StephanD
02-02-2005, 12:25 PM
WinRaR says "Unexpected end of archive" and when extracting gives a "damaged file" warning.

Mind if I join in?

From what I've seen,none of you guys have given a file extension what's up with that? :D

Has by any chance any of you exported this obj format from a beta application?

gjpetch
02-02-2005, 11:56 PM
For some reason downloading these zip file seems prone to error. I'm getting everything fine now, but earlier I was having problems. The files within the zips should all have an OBJ extention; if they don't then the zip didn't download properly.
As a test I've attached "out_06.rar.zip". This is not a ZIP file, but a RAR file with a zip extention added so I can upload it here. Tell me if this has the same problem.

StephanD
02-03-2005, 01:16 PM
Nope,same problem.

In Winrar(latest ver.) if I extract,the warning pops up with both previous alerts.

In UltimateZip(ain't got Winzip) it extracts fine,but the file still has no extension and crashes wings when renamed/imported.

What software did you use?

pencil-head
02-03-2005, 09:38 PM
I got it open fine. I have no idea what is going on here. Maybe its getting scrambled in the attachment process.

gjpetch
02-03-2005, 11:27 PM
Are you guys who are having problems using Internet Explorer or Firefox? I had the problem when using IE, but the zips download fine with Firefox; its really worth changing over to firefox regardless.
Perhaps when I get home I'll upload all the OBJ's to my webspace so everyone having problems can reach them.

_ZOa_
02-04-2005, 07:04 PM
Its a cool idea imho, but it should be more organized. Lets work on ONE SINGLE model. LEts make a queue. I thnk thats the only way to stay out of situation where 20 ppl posts 20 versions of one model.
Its maybe confusing, but i jope someone will understand.

Regards
Z Antonijevic

pauljs75
02-08-2005, 11:29 PM
Cool... I've tried something like this before (I called it "round robin" modeling), but never got beyond one or two people. I'd take a shot at it, but the most recent version (#6) seems to be corrupted or have some kind of flawed geometry. The zip part seems to work ok, as everything extracted just fine (using 7-zip). Version #5 works just fine in Wings, but if the process is supposed to be sequential...

Update: Added a tiny little bit to version 5. So now that's 5, right? Just some really minor stuff. Enhanced the brow ridge a bit and added spines. Made up a carapice helmet that fits the head. Some other minor tweaking of the arm.

CGTalk Moderation
02-09-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.