PDA

View Full Version : my Showreel

mailfor
01-30-2005, 11:11 AM
Hi!

i am working at my demo reel and i think its time for some comments about it

visit http://www.home.subnet.at/idt/showreel.htm to see the movie its about 10mb

hope you like it :)

best regards
mike

Wintermute
02-01-2005, 06:56 AM
That's a heck of a reel you have there, nice music choices, and some nice motion graphics work. You evidently spent some serious time and effort into putting this together.

I do have some crits for you though.

First off, what job are you looking to get in to with this reel?

broadcast motion graphics?
industrial design/pre-visualization?
architectural design/pre-visualization?
3d art and animation?
Print/web design?
Photography?

I think it's great that you have skills in all of these areas. Print design is an education and career all it's own, let alone adding the rest of that list to it.

The photos, web design and print design are all best viewed in a portfolio book, even in the "big" size it was difficult to see your work in those areas. I found the motion elements to these parts to be distracting from your work as well-again, best viewed in a web gallery or portfolio book

Your reel is also exceptionally long with long transitions. From what I've heard, short and sweet make better demo reels. When people are reviewing reels, they are going through a lot of them in a short amount of time.

Another point would be to show something once. This was very evident in the product and architectural visualization pieces. I'd suggest consolidating your shots to show each project on it's own, without inter-cutting them.

Of all of your pieces shown, the motion graphics really stand out, mostly because they are present throughout the reel.

If I had to condense this all down to one point, it would be to tailor the reel to the job you're looking for.

All said, you have a nicely assembled reel that looks like it took coonsiderable time and effort to do, I just think it could be trimmed down for the target audience. Let your web portfolio and resumé do some of the talking as well.

I hope I don't sound too harsh here, that's just my 2˘, calling it as I see it.
Looking forward to some updates.

Cheers!
:beer:

Sjoerd
02-02-2005, 09:26 AM
I agree with wintermute,

If I were you I would use his commentary... :)

cya

wireFrame
02-03-2005, 05:29 AM
Yes, I agree as well.

Nice demo reel by the way. You're good in motion graphics!

Joblh
02-03-2005, 03:56 PM
WOW, This is one of the best reels i've (ever) seen! :applause:

DarkChilde3DCG
02-05-2005, 01:45 AM
All you need to do is finish the texturing . . . even if the buildings dont have full exterior environments, I think the reel would be good enough as it is, with the textures, of course.

CGTalk Moderation
02-05-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.