PDA

View Full Version : Char. Animation Demo Reel

Mudokon83
01-30-2005, 12:24 AM
I graduated from Cogswell Polytech College, in Sunnyvale, CA

Just wanted to post my progress so far on finishing my reel, see what people hate and all.

My 5MB demo reel (WIP)
http://www.colin-brown.com/demoreel.mov

http://www.colin-brown.com/demoreel.jpg

Feel free to hate/love critique it.

-Colin

http://www.colin-brown.com

UPDATED AS OF 2-28-07 WITH ALL NEW MATERIAL

paul.yan
01-30-2005, 02:04 AM
this is starting to look pretty solid! One thing I'd recommend, maybe start the sound track from the very beginning and have the main musical hit begin on the first death sequence (it currently feels a bit sparse) Do you have any other animation snippets you'll be adding to this or will you be concerned with just editing from here on out?

Mudokon83
01-30-2005, 08:38 PM
Yeah i added the music just so it wasnt silent, nothing is final.

I WILL be adding in a run cycle and maybe walk cycle/run cycle of the pink bunny, to round it out.

And the lip synch will be animated soon hopefully, so she'll be talking and acting her emotions out.

-Colin

http://www.colin-brown.com

Mudokon83
02-17-2005, 10:01 PM
Okay demo reel updated with tweaks done on ALL animations.

Critique away!

- Colin

johweedee
02-18-2005, 04:47 PM
i'd like to see you animate something with more subtle movements. the animation on your reel right now just pops and flies around all the time. from time to time, strike a pose and move slightly in it. have your characters stop moving all the time so we can see them think. i would say that the spider piece is your best work. so put it first. keep it up!

kgaulin
02-20-2005, 04:34 PM
Looks okay so far. I would say its a little poppy, play with the curves a bit. Can't wait to see your final

Mudokon83
08-01-2005, 08:08 PM
Hey all, just wanted to give you an updated reel link at the top of the page, bump bump bump.

:)

Going well, got a few replies on jobs so far, nothing has panned out yet.

-Colin

Mudokon83
07-06-2006, 09:47 PM
updated!! *bump*

mistasam02
07-06-2006, 10:58 PM
hmm... from what i see, you know the basics well. the shrek parts were good, but there were subtle pops. the walk cycle has a small one where u can notice his shoulders move.. and it looks like hes leaning to the right lol. the lift was veeerry poppy and awkward. how did you attach the box to shrek? if you meant to have a squirrel jumping around in the box, looks perfect! :thumbsup: but if not, duno what to tell ya.

other than that i like the motions you've done! i just wished that there were more advanced actions in there. as said above, ad maybe a close up of someone doing very very small movements to show emotion. so far i dont really see too much personality other than the action. and if you could, do some crazy stuff like the cat jumping from a motorcycle up to grab onto a helicopter. u know, something off the wall. walk-cycles show you can animate, but everything else shows you're creative, and jobs like that!

anywayz, good work so far! keep it up! :buttrock:

Mudokon83
02-28-2007, 07:52 AM
* bump * new material at the top

www.colin-brown.com/demoreel.mov (http://www.colin-brown.com/demoreel.mov)

mistasam02
02-28-2007, 05:02 PM
Great Improvement!

Now for the dirty part, lol... I really loved your fat-guy run cycle! That one had great style and weight to it. Really all your stuff overall was cool, but with most of it I got a feeling of "what's the point?" The lowman jumping over a fence kinda thing.. good animation, but why? Employers not only want to see that you know how to animate, but that you have imagination as well. What if he hops the fence and lands on some tacks? The cat in the beginning could be a lot smoother as well. Make sure all your curves are smooth. The dragon's movements are totally off.. if you delay the body later after the wings go down, it would look more like the dragon is pushing itself up. It's body (front/upper-body) is moving against what a bird would do naturally, which totally throws it off. Last comes the sword slash. You NEED to move the feet! That's the only thing holding it back. If you try and act it out with that much force in ever swing, you'd find yourself sidestepping and moving forward. When attacking something, you always move forward.

Anyway, hope I wasn't too harsh.. but I've found a lot of schools want you to show all these basic animations, and it would be cooler if you had some more interesting pieces. Like I said before, have something blow up! Have the dragon fly into a clear glass window! Have the cat chasing a mouse! Good luck bro!

Mudokon83
03-13-2007, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the critiques! ill def. fix those up , and move onto new stuff!

wchristiansen
03-13-2007, 07:28 PM
cool man, looking good. I need some acting, I want you to act.

w.

CGTalk Moderation
03-13-2007, 07:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.