PDA

View Full Version : Character-lowpoly-male

living_the_dream
01-29-2005, 10:43 PM
It feels like a plague going around CGTalk that we have this low-poly craze. So as it turns out, I decided to get tested for the low-poly fever and it came back positive. So here is (I believe it's actually my first WIP post on CGTalk) a low poly male character that I made. For reference I used measurements and diagrams in B. Hogarth's Dynamic Anatomy. I tried to define/imply as much geometry and as many features as I could. I ended up with 460 triangles for the entire model. I realize I could probably cut those back a little, but I'm trying not to sacrafice form or deformability. Any C & C is highly appreciated. I just signed on at DELTA (NCSU's Distance Ed Dept.) yesterday and I am going to be working in Active Worlds making a lot of low poly models in the near future. I figured I'd get some practice this weekend while I had the time. Please tell me any suggestions for the character's texture map. I'm kind of playing by ear at this point. FYI- He's modeled in XSI 4.2
http://www4.ncsu.edu/%7Eapyoungb/lowpolymale01.jpg

http://www4.ncsu.edu/%7Eapyoungb/lowpolymale02.jpg

living_the_dream
01-30-2005, 05:38 AM
Here's a more recent screen grab. I've UV mapped and started rigging him, hence the pose.
I still need to do a texture, but that will probably have to wait till tomorrow.
http://www4.ncsu.edu/%7Eapyoungb/lowpolymale03.jpg

El Drey
01-30-2005, 07:35 PM
How many polys is it? I think low poly is OK, but I fear you took the job too seriously.

living_the_dream
01-30-2005, 07:45 PM
It is 460 triangles. What do you mean about taking it too seriously? Do you think that the detail is not defined/implied well?

El Drey
01-30-2005, 08:17 PM
It's just that I noticed the bend on the right elbow seemed to flatten too much, that the arm is losing its volume. I don't know your exact goal, but by saying you took the job too seriously, I ment the poly-reduction job. But you showed me what fewer polygons with a little more texturing can be... A OK.

living_the_dream
01-30-2005, 10:33 PM
Yeah you are right about his elbows and the drinking staw effect. I guess I need to edit the weight maps some more before I get too into animating. I shot a reference movie for a walk cycle and I've been trying to set that up this afternoon. Thanks for the crit. I'm going to have to fix that and see if it will look better then. OK is not bad, but I'm looking for professional quality, something worth showing off. Like I said about my new job, I'm going to be working with low-poly budgets because the target audience is an average internet user, so I won't be able to push more than about 1,000 tris per character at absolute max and realistically aiming for about 600-700. The texture is still XSI's NoIcon pic until I paint an acceptable texture map.

CGTalk Moderation
01-30-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.