PDA

View Full Version : help with textures

Potato77
09-11-2002, 12:10 AM
OH NO NOT ANOTHER FREAKINg LIGHT SABER!!!!:scream:

i have been working on this off and on and im having trouble making it look good with the textures.

for example i cant make the handle look like black rubber and the wood is too clean i think. there are a bunch of things wrong with it and im posting because i need the tips and crits. this is my first model EVER so dont be too mean :D

also does anyone have the link to a good uv unwrapper? THANKS GUYS

Potato77
09-11-2002, 12:13 AM
another shot

Potato77
09-11-2002, 05:06 AM
i wonder why my post says moved? i didnt do it. could someone enlighten me? did i post wrong or something? thanks

leigh
09-11-2002, 07:34 AM
Your post was probably moved here because it's texturing-related :)
The reason why your rubber doesn't look right yet is because it is too relfective, and too specular. Try taking these amounts down quite a bit. Also, take down your gloss amount to broaden the spread of light on it's surface.
The reason that the wood doesn't yet look right is because your bump map is wrong - you've given it an almost leathery grain, when wood should have a longer, straighter grain.
:D

Potato77
09-11-2002, 05:50 PM
oh ok. thanks. yeah texturing is so hard but ill keep at it. for some reason the rubber is just like you said but it turns up looking like that ARG no matter what i do it comes out like that. but ill get it eventually. THANKS

NanoGator
09-11-2002, 06:08 PM
I don't really have a helpful response, but I am curious where you got that leather texture! Heh.

Any tips on where to acquire organic textures would be helpfull. :beer:

Potato77
09-11-2002, 06:48 PM
its acually a wood texture with a bump map and a scratch map on it. i also think there is some noise on it as well. if you have max you can find the texture i used in the default map folder. its the darker wood one. then just play with noise and scratch till you get what you want. i accaully dont know how i did it because i deleted the old one because it was wrong.

good luck

Per-Anders
09-11-2002, 09:07 PM
rubber shouldn't be so shiny or reflective... make the rubber reflections (if there need be any at all) diffuse and blurry. the specular for rubber is very wide and low. try combining environmental reflection with ray traced refleciton on the handle. If that's meant to be wood then lower the bump map so it looks more like mahogony than leather (polished wood only has a very slight bump in the direction of the grain (this is either caused by thin laquer , or the laquer being laid on badly) so stretch the scratch texture out along the length of the wood, where wood gets scratched (and you loose the laquer) you often get innitially a lightening of the wood and a lowering of contrast and then over time as more grub gets in the wood picks up black dirt... if you need scratches i'd suggest doing them by hand rather than using a procedural, that way you can get scratches where the metal would have damaged the wood natuarlly (at the head and tail end of the saber). dirty things up a little if you want a more realistic look. but it's good for a first ever model :) so keep going !

Potato77
09-11-2002, 09:29 PM
hey thanks for the tips.
is there any way to put 2 bump maps on a texture and give them both different values?

also how would you set up the scratches to go in the right direction on the wood like you were saying?
thanks

fabman
09-19-2002, 12:21 PM
Which software do you use?, it'll be helpful to know that...:)

fabman
09-19-2002, 12:32 PM
Ops!, sorry, I just read you said MAX, well, you can do it assigning a BLEND material, and assigning one material to each space of this material, then assing different numbers for each UVW channel and that's all... you just have to assign as well 2 UWV maps modifiers to the object with different channgel number.
Sorry about my confuse explanation, but if you have any problem, send me a private email and I'll send you a max file with an object with that kind of material.

FabMan.2002(c)

dark_lotus
09-23-2002, 10:00 PM
One thing you might want to do is make the metal brushed,

you can do it in Photoshop, and use it a cylindrical map.

If you don't know what I'm on about, post a message and I'll put a more detailed explaination,

As for the rest of it, i think it looks PHENOMINAL!!:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.