SheepFactory
09-10-2002, 10:30 PM
Eye candy time:

http://www.hatchfx.com/index.html

found the link at:

www.cgbug.com

l_farley13_l
09-11-2002, 08:47 PM
Gorgeous always wonder who painted that from What Dreams May Come - had it as wallpaper for about a year!

Great link!

Farley13

wgreenlee1
09-13-2002, 07:24 PM
Hi ya's!

Hey I'm looking for links to 'How tos' concerning matte painting.
Just the basic sort of stuff to know.
Ive been searching the web but yet to have come up with anything besides show cases pertaining to mattes.

Does anyone know of a FYI type of site?

Thanks in advance!!!

Br0nZiLLa
09-15-2002, 04:46 PM
Pardon my French, but how the hell do they make that stuff??
I know nothing about matte painting, what sofware etc.
:wavey:

Per-Anders
09-15-2002, 07:00 PM
Traditional matte painting is done by painting onto a reflectionless glass plate which was either positioned inbetween the camera and the action or a plate with a black "mask" was used and the matte was exposed onto the stock at a later date. Whatever materials worked are used for matte painting (but most commonly oil paints and acrylic), and in fact they're mostly amazing for their trickery... if you ever look up close at a matte painting it's just so full of brush strokes, nothing smooth, very painterly and yet from a distance ultra real... it's a skill that's learnt from firstly being a very good draughtsman, and secondly having a very good eye for light and colour. Potentially nowadays you could produce digital matte paintings using a number of peices of software... Painter 7 for instance, or Maya Paint. Or even Photoshop. It's really up to you, this again is something that requires [i]skill[\i] there is no quick and easy fix. But the best way to do it is to get a still of the background shot if you need it for compositing, and make a new layer to "paint" onto. Remember with this there is no "matte painting" button, just as there is no "toy story" button. You can apply filters to a photograph to give it a painterly look if that's what you are after, or you can composite many shots together in photoshop to create huge waterfalls over the rocky mountains or whatever, but the end result will always rely on your own skill with the pen/brush.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.