PDA

View Full Version : Red 'n Dead needs.. "something"

Reeks
02-09-2002, 10:51 PM
Hi all,
This is a painting I've been working on this weekend and it's almost finished (I think) but.. well.. ..it's just missing "something" for me still that I can't put my finger on.

Any suggestions would be well appreciated.

(BTW=thanks Timo for the dragon's glowing-eye inspiration!)

Cheers in advance,

Rico.

WWW.RicoHolmes.com

http://www.ricoholmes.com/Gallery/RednDead.jpg

Taoizm
02-10-2002, 04:52 AM
Wow....that is a cool pic. Only thing that I can see might be missing is some sort of foreground element. Maybe some fog/smoke to haze the image a bit. It might be too crisp of an image for all that fire. Also it looks as though he needs to be holding something in his hand. Maybe a fistful of the damned. :D

Sangotten
02-10-2002, 05:54 PM
...I must say "damn that looks prety cool!" Yep I really like it as for something missing, I think some details in the face and the head may do the trick. Now the head may be to dark, think about light affecting the contour of his head, just for some 3d feeling.

I look forward to see your updates!

big b
02-10-2002, 08:04 PM
YOU know?

I had a dream about this dude.............

it was scary.

But your picture is cool, Are you going to add more details on the face?

Reeks
02-13-2002, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the replies so far.. Taoizm I think you hit the nail on the head with the foreground element. I still don't "see" it yet, but..

I'll sit back from it for a week or so and look at it again with fresh eyes, so any ideas in the meantime are still most welcome.

Cheers again

-Rico.

www.ricoholmes.com

Reeks
03-27-2002, 04:22 PM
Well it was longer than a week, but I did get back to finishing it up (I think!)

Sometimes you just need to put an image aside so you can see it with fresh eyes. I came back to it this morning and yes Taoizm the foreground was the big missing element.

I've added a couple of minor details and the swirl of flame in the foreground- the swirl makes for a much better composition. I does lose a little of the "dark" foreboding but you can't have it all eh?

Any more feedback is still most welcome- a picture is never really finished.

http://www.ricoholmes.com/Gallery/Images/RednDead-F.jpg

Korgath
03-27-2002, 05:32 PM
<Swedish>
Riktigt snyggt! :thumbsup: Vilket program använder du? Photoshop?
</Swedish>

ACFred
03-28-2002, 01:54 AM
Wow, man. This is supercool. Your new flame foreground elements are quite impressive.
For me, the only thing lacking is the facial expression. Even though there aren't many visible details in the face, the details that are there make him seem to have a confused look as opposed to an almighty "I'm gonna kick the shit out of you and suck your soul through a straw" look. Everything in the image is intimidating and powerful except for his facial expression. Give his eyes some life other than the glows (but including the glows, of course) -- maybe some highlights that give us some hint that he's scowling or snarling.

Anyway, you've definitely got a talent.

Keep up the awesome work. I can't wait to see more.

Alec

Reeks
03-28-2002, 04:44 AM
Hi again,

ACFred, SO right- I was concentrating on the foreground elements so much I neglected the focal point. A cardinal sin I know, so I had another look and found a far more agressive gaze.

I don't want to put too much detail into the face- sometimes the more you hint at something the imagination works.. he definitely needed to scowl rather than look bewildered however. Thanks.

As ever, please feel free to criticise- all feedback is always welcome.

BTW Korghath - Thanks! I normally use MAYA but I like to keep my painting skills up to scratch (photoshop). I know it's more important to be an artist than just a technically apt 3D guy. This was painted entirely in photoshop.

http://www.ricoholmes.com/Gallery/Images/RednDead-F2.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.