PDA

View Full Version : Zombie Flesh Eater

ditchman
01-28-2005, 10:00 AM
It's not like I'm obbsessed with zombies or anything (maybe a little). anyone got any tips about this piece? all comments wanted. thanxhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/theditchman/legeatSmall2.jpg

Sir Saukund
01-28-2005, 11:47 AM
What's the goal?
Should it be a still or concept art or just a sketch?

So any crits:
GOod: I really like the zobies pose, his facial expression and the style/look in which you drew the zombie and the foot. The material of the foot - this typical gum consistence - is great too.

BAad: There's a big stylecontrast between the character and the set. Also the set has less detail, less contrast and a booring composition.

Personal Tip: I would draw the whole pic in the zombie-style. Theres to much space in the background, so that the apearance of the Zombie doesn't seem to be surprising. I would suggest to put a crypt directly behind him. with some statues. And to place the moon behind the crypt I would suggest to draw the profile of leaveless trees.
oh my good my english is chaotic.

... and make it white (the moon)

go on with this natural sketch-style!
greets
sim

BrutalMonk
01-28-2005, 12:06 PM
Yea! I agree the comment Sir Saukund, so my idea is:
Make a darker bg, and add fog to the bg.

And add some blood :D
:twisted::twisted:

BTW cool picture again! I like your zombies

Keep goin!
Thanx,
Dave

ditchman
01-28-2005, 12:17 PM
What's the goal?
Should it be a still or concept art or just a sketch?
it's just a still picture- a pinup for a comic fan art competition

-There's a big stylecontrast between the character and the set. Also the set has less detail, less contrast and a booring composition.-

i plan to work on the background, to bring it more in line with the zombie.
i wasn't very happy with the composition, i don't know why exactly

-Theres to much space in the background, so that the apearance of the Zombie doesn't seem to be surprising. I would suggest to put a crypt directly behind him. with some statues. And to place the moon behind the crypt I would suggest to draw the profile of leaveless trees.-

some great ideas, thankyou for taking the time to type them down Sir Saukund. I'll try them out.

Rudeone
01-28-2005, 12:23 PM
Maybe add more zombies coming from their graves and a lot of headstones.

Looks cool :thumbsup:

ditchman
01-28-2005, 12:26 PM
Yea! I agree the comment Sir Saukund, so my idea is:
Make a darker bg, and add fog to the bg.

And add some blood :D
:twisted::twisted:

BTW cool picture again! I like your zombies

Keep goin!
Thanx,
Dave

thanks, zombie's rule - i like the idea of more fog, i may try to actually 'paint' in stylized fog. i've never tried it like that though (i use a photoshop gradient). I'll have to try and see what i come up with.

more blood, hmmm... don't see why not.

ditchman
01-31-2005, 01:26 PM
Maybe add more zombies coming from their graves and a lot of headstones.

Looks cool :thumbsup:

thanks i mean to add a few more head stones, maybe some dark figures in the background shrouded in fog would be cool

anyway - here is my latest rough composition - i have used several suggestions

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/theditchman/legeatSmall4.jpg

Ilikesoup
01-31-2005, 03:12 PM
The crypt entrance was a nice addition. It tightened up the composition, and I think zombies are scariest in tight areas since they can't run very fast. You might consider moving the angel closer and bigger so she fills much of the right side of the picture. Also give her a piercing look that's pointed straight at the viewer. Keeping her tilted to the right, you'll still have plenty of room for the moon and spooky house/mausoleum in the bg.

Here's a couple of anatomy crits:
His left deltoid (shoulder) looks a bit off. It's a funny angle, so you might have to find a top-view pic if you're looking for reference.

Just above his left heel there should be an indentation before the calf curves outward.

Um, there's something dangling between his legs and it's not the right shape for what should be there. :curious: I'd suggest erasing it down as though he's wearing Hulk pants.

Overall it's got a nice comic book look. Good luck with the contest!

BrutalMonk
01-31-2005, 05:44 PM
Hmm!
Very intressting update.
The cript in the bg was very good idea, i agree Ilikesoup's comment "It tightened up the composition, and I think zombies are scariest in tight areas since they can't run very fast. "
And it gives a nice contrast for the picture. Im still feel problems about the yellow moon. Make it white, cuz the lights on the cript, statues, house is white too, and not yellow.
And the moon cannot be there, cuz the lights comes from other point.
So i can understand why that yellow thing is on the sky.

Other:
Ilikesoup said truth about the anatomy problems, but the zombie can be diferent, that's why it's zombie, in my view, u shouldn't correct it, but if u want make the shoulder muscle a bit bigger. The big foot isn's flashy so that is not a big problem

2nd Other :D:
The thing around his feet is very smart, but i cant realise whether it is water or mysterious fog.
It's good for both one i think, u should divide it.

I love this wip, so nice picture!

Keep goin'

Dave.

ditchman
02-01-2005, 09:43 AM
Ilikesoup - thank you for all your comments, some nice ideas about the composition of the picture, i may try a few out and see what i think. as for the shoulder it's as Brutal Monk says, the zombie is a twisted form, so anatomical accuracy is not all that important, the left heel area does need a little more polish though

Brutal Monk - you are 100% right about about the light source, i just wanted a moon in there- but it's not so good anyway. i'll take it out
i noticed that the fog looks like water, i'll keep playing with it
thanks for the input

:thumbsup:

ditchman
02-03-2005, 01:09 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/theditchman/legeat5small.jpg

lastest update- i worked it all over a little- more work on the fog- removed the moon- erie glow and figures to the building in the b/g (still very rough).

any thoughts- ?

AIPh Pretzel
02-03-2005, 02:13 PM
any thoughts- ?

More gravestones.

ditchman
02-04-2005, 02:09 PM
More gravestones.

ahh, the man with the exellent avitar, you should charge people for the honour of having their threads graced with it. "you have lost 2 oxen" - but aren't they pigs?

more gravestones, more gravestones. that's all i ever hear from you guys :scream:
ok. i will put more in if i can find somewhere to fit them

what about railings? i think a rusted fence at the side of the crypt may look good, i'll do a test i think

lulaassassina
02-04-2005, 02:29 PM
:D this piece made me smile!

Ok, there are some few points I'd like to expose to you.
1 - Fog seems like water, on his feet.
2 - Do you want to keep the outline? Or do you want to work on a real-like shading?
3 - Why is the skin on the leg cracked?
4 - I believe that the tree in the top, or it's branches, are an excess, it has no importance on the image.
5 - The direction of your composition goes to the church, on the background. What's the goal of it?

luv

lulaassassina
02-04-2005, 02:30 PM
Uh!

And no more gravestones, please.

ditchman
02-04-2005, 04:14 PM
thanks lula_assassina, to address your points-

1 - Fog seems like water, on his feet.
-i know:shrug: i'll work on it some more, has any one seen a fog tutorial or have any tips - i wanted it to look quite stylized though, not 'real', but not water either. i put a couple of big single colour transparent 'whisps' over it. it looks a bit better (not enough work for an update though)

2 - Do you want to keep the outline? Or do you want to work on a real-like shading?
-i wanted to keep the outline to give it more of a comic book feel, but i always say that but end up painting over it as i get carried away

3 - Why is the skin on the leg cracked?
it was blood from when it was just a ink drawing, needs work as well.

4 - I believe that the tree in the top, or it's branches, are an excess, it has no importance on the image.
-i sent it behing the crypt, looks a little better, it's on it's own layer so i can turn it off if it still bugs when it's done. i do see what you mean

5 - The direction of your composition goes to the church, on the background. What's the goal of it? -
-i thought i'd place a supernatural light and a few more zombie like figures there to show this is the cenre of the evil force that is animating the corpses of the dead

thank you for your time- it's great to get this much feedback
:thumbsup:

Martin_B
02-05-2005, 04:08 PM
What is the thing on his left knee that looks like a thumb? And if it is a thumb: what is the thing on his hand that looks like a thumb? I don't understand..

I like how the picture is evolving. I'm waiting for the finished picture. Keep it up.

ditchman
02-09-2005, 05:33 PM
What is the thing on his left knee that looks like a thumb? And if it is a thumb: what is the thing on his hand that looks like a thumb? I don't understand..

I like how the picture is evolving. I'm waiting for the finished picture. Keep it up.
I think the thing you can see is meant to be the shadow of the knee cap, Iíve reworked this to make it clearer.

Thanks for the help and encouragement

ditchman
02-14-2005, 03:04 PM
latest update with fix attempts

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/theditchman/legeatx.jpg

BrutalMonk
02-14-2005, 03:14 PM
I love it, the "food" is much better with this little color changes (blood etc.)
The figures at the bg are a bit strange. They have a little idiot pose.
The fog is much better! I love it, a bit work on it and perfect!
You can add some dirt on the stones or add some moss or lichen.
If you want to fill some empty place on the sky, add bats or make a crow on the tree. That would be mystic and nice.
Thanx,

>-Brutal Monk-<

SurfGod69a
05-21-2005, 03:13 AM
Hey looking pretty good i especially like the narritive. You can tell that theres some kind of story behind it. Maybe suggest some writing on the tombstones to give the scene a sense of history, you can make it feel like a place and time.

CGTalk Moderation
05-21-2005, 03:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.