PDA

View Full Version : Cute animals for a child`s book

ts1
01-28-2005, 09:48 AM
http://www.ts-pictures.de/cg/2d_wip/animals_med.jpg

Greetings,

this is a concept for a book for children. It is in an early phase, but I wanted some comments and critique. So, feel free...

Done in Photoshop and mouse, mostly vectorized.

shyamshriram
01-28-2005, 11:06 AM
I like the penguin :) looking cute.
u can minimize the sharp cuts and edges in all the three character to make it more cute look. make it more simple. try to avoid the colour contrast, i mean avoid the black harsh eyebrow, it kills the softness, maybe u can remove the hairs from the rabbits face and minimize his nose. make the rabbit lil bit bulky, it will look more cute :) right now the skin tone of rabbit is lookin lil bit saturated, u can minimize it, also look for the skin texture of the rabbit and the elephant, right now it looks similar texture of all the three characters. may be u did that intentionally, just my thought.
good work anyways :thumbsup:

Gwenhwyfar
01-29-2005, 01:16 AM
I really like the penguin. I am afraid of the bunny though. The bunny just does not look cute and adorable, instead it looks rather odd and the fluffy bunny tail looks funny sitting their like that. The elephant is adorable except for the trunk, well not to seem rude but the position it is in look like male anatomy. I realize children may not perseeve it as such but a parent may. I would l soften the bunny and raise the elephants trunk. :)

Ognus
01-29-2005, 03:05 AM
See how you soften the light on the penguins chest? Do that to the head too. It doesnt stand to reason that a penguin would have a sharp glassy reflection on his head, but a soft rubbery one on his chest. You know?

Very cute!
Keep doing these and you will be a pro.

Ilikesoup
01-29-2005, 06:03 PM
I agree with Gwenhwyfar, the rabbit makes me uneasy. The cheeks are puffy but the mouth and nose are flat--that would be true of a human face, but on a rabbit's face the reverse would be true. He/she'd look much cuter IMO if:
He were fuzzy
His front paws were on the ground (and concealing his naughty bits)
He had no eyelids (like your other characters), and had white whiskers to match his belly fur

Your other characters are very cute. Your penguin's being shaped like bowling pin makes the plastic shine look appropriate. I like that he's got wet feet, too.

V_Shane
01-29-2005, 06:25 PM
These are cute, but with the number of childrens books out there, what can you do to your characters to make them unique? I'm not talking about rendering style (which you have going on here and is good) just something to brainstorm on. Maybe the rabbit has some hair uptop that sticks out in an odd way, or the Penguin might wear glasses etc... they are rendered with a greeting card appeal, but I feel need a bit more character for a childrens book. Look forward to the update.

Squibbit
01-29-2005, 06:37 PM
the elephant and penguin are fine

but i gotta say i'm afraid of the bunny too

JamesMK
01-29-2005, 07:03 PM
Bunnies are supposed to be scary actually :)

Squibbit
01-29-2005, 07:41 PM
o when's the last time u were scary then, wabbit ?

CGTalk Moderation
01-29-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.