PDA

View Full Version : 1 Hour Robo

TogaMario
01-28-2005, 06:56 AM
I wanted to make something for a game development idea me and a friend are having (providing our art services for independent devs) This is a little spy bot that I threw together in about an hour (maybe a little more due to polishing) I don't plan on working on it any more, but I would love to hear feedback. I'm way too afraid to post it in the Finished gallery, lol. Doesn't look quite as "Finished" as those :)

http://www.togamario.com/images/bot.jpg

Falcorr
01-28-2005, 05:27 PM
-Opinion.
I think its pretty cool :) and funny also.

-Crit wise.
Some of the lines should have been more accurate.

-Technical wise.
Spiky hands and legs look cool, but they dont always serve a purpose when walking. They would stuck in all kinds of places. Sand surfaces would be impossible for it.

Have fun with your project! :thumbsup:

TogaMario
01-28-2005, 05:45 PM
Thank you for the crit. I agree with the line quality problem, it's always been a downfall of my freehand drawing. I sketch even when i'm "drawing" so I end up with short lines and some lines that go all over the place. Any exercises that anyone know of to amplify consciousness of line?

The spikey hands and feet would serve alright for the metallic flooring of our sets, but if someone sat that sucker in a sandbox, he's screwed, lol. I also think that if I added another set in the back, it would look more stable. However, I like the fact that it kind of teeters foward with it's smaller arms to balance. The design of the feet was a cop-out. I'm not too good at designing mechanical components that not only look good, but appear functional. Which brings me to my next Q for A'ing. Are there any artists that do a lot of that particular work that might inspire me?

Thanks again.

Falcorr
01-28-2005, 06:03 PM
I cant really think of anybody that good with technical stuff that feels like its working.

Most of them artist always cheat with the mechanics. If you really want to go cool with them. Use inspiration of stuff that REALLY WORKS. Check out NASA or car manufactoring lines.
Of course japanese robots also. Lots of anime artist who can make stuff look cool with sort of functionality.

About your drawing. Also try to give out hints what is the size of that cool droid.
Is it really small recon thing? Or gigantic elephant mech?

Stuff like drainage system near it... Brick wall. Things like that. :thumbsup:

Kuckekind
01-28-2005, 06:13 PM
I love the idea of this piece.
But the result really isn't the best. The extremities look a bit uninspired. (Just look about in the Finished gallery for some inspiration)
Also, keep an eye on the perspectice. It looks a bit weird, currently.:)

TogaMario
01-29-2005, 08:26 PM
Hehe, I noticed the perspective was off, but I'm shy of the talent to fix it :) I need to learn a little more about form through perspective. I know there's a Gnomon Workshop DVD that has some insight on that, I just don't have the 70 bucks to drop on one.

I like the idea of adding a human element to destinguish size. It's supposed to be small, like the size of a fist. Maybe I could add a screwdriver or something.

Thank you very much for the feedback so far.

joeydee
01-30-2005, 01:55 AM
nice design of a small robot. In this scale the spikes seem to be ok.

But you should work much more on the lighting. i.e. use dark and bright lines in parallel for gaps (instead of your single black lines - am I right some of them should/could be gaps?).
Work with highlights and drop shadows onto the surfaces, use a wide range of the main colors, this will add some depth to the picture.

Perspective: I always use a kind of 3d grid or at least some guides drawn with the help of vanishing points (or parallel perspective sometimes) to construct all important points of an object. Should be able to learn that without DVD ;)

Raļ's
01-31-2005, 01:32 PM
You should improve your picture's quality by contrasting the lights...:thumbsup:

TogaMario
01-31-2005, 05:41 PM
Thank you guys very much for the great feedback! I'm just happy someone has taken the time to go over my little bot :buttrock: You guys(gals?) rock out loud :buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-31-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.