PDA

View Full Version : modeling a nest

chafik_73
01-28-2005, 12:07 AM
hi guys
please I need help on modeling a realistic nest. I am currently using 3dsmax.

very big thx.

crashd
01-28-2005, 12:54 PM
What kind of nest, a birds nest, a Spiders nest? You can get reference from all over the web for this kind of thing, but maybe if you specified exactly what you want to model, somebody might have an idea :)

chafik_73
01-28-2005, 04:10 PM
yes you're right, actualy it's a bird nest.

crashd
01-28-2005, 04:15 PM
Here's a ref:
http://esc.hanscom.af.mil/hansconian/2004/Apr/04232004/Birds%20Nest.jpg

So, starting from this picture, i'd say there's a fair few ways you could do it.
The 2 that i'd consider using would be:

- modelling a 'map' of the nest horizontally, and then 'wrapping' it round using a deformer, that way you should be able to get it to look organised, but also organic.

- Using displacement on a primitive.

It also depends what kind of style you're going for. Don't take my word for it, there is a lot of ways to do something as (fairly) complex as this, and whateve works for you is the best way : )

ThomasMahler
01-28-2005, 05:34 PM
Meats?

Here's a job for you! ;)

chafik_73
01-28-2005, 06:38 PM
please CRASHD, could you explain me the second option (displacement on a primitive), and its seems there is a prob with the link, i couldn't download the picture.

cheers mate.

chafik_73
02-08-2005, 03:48 PM
please guys i need your help.:sad:

ottokar
02-13-2005, 02:43 PM
what about some variation of growing 'hair' on a torus, where the hair is very thick and rigid, like a twig

Ibah
02-13-2005, 06:34 PM
Displacement isnt they way to go i think. hair on a torus would help in creating it a little.
but than i would change it to mesh etc.

i dont know what for aplication you use.

i saw a script from someone for max, a magnatic script.. you could hand model a couple of strand with some detail in it, than get a torus.

you could paint them over the torus. get 3 toruses.. one bic, and 2 smaller.. so you get a thick nest.. with density in it. and paint it with 5 different strand you made, texture them before painting them and deforming them ofcource.

than when you have the whole thing done, aply a noise modifier to it, hide or remove the torusses, and you have your realistic birds nest.

xtrudeh
02-15-2005, 05:28 PM
Meats?

Here's a job for you! ;)

haha, indeed :)

AlecMoody
02-15-2005, 06:25 PM
I would just bite the bullet and do it manually. Looks like a bunch of lofting with carefully created splines. Also, if you loft it you can have your UVs done automatically.

bluepoly
02-15-2005, 07:18 PM
I made a nest a while ago. I made a spline circle then cut if off and started modeling maybe 2 or 3 branches off of it then i twisted it up a bit and put a noise modifier on it. slapped a texture on it and stretched it up a bit. Also painted up a feathery looking texture with an alpha and copied that all over the place.

Here it is.

http://www.bluepoly.com/images/samplesheet_06.jpg

-Vic

Ibah
02-22-2005, 05:26 PM
yep, bluepoly, that would be the best way to do it.. maximum control over the look. takes a little longer but you have what you want exactly.

CGTalk Moderation
02-22-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.