PDA

View Full Version : Editing UV's after making blendshapes. Bad?

davidsloss
01-27-2005, 07:03 PM
Is there any reason why it would be bad to edit the UV layout on an original mesh that had blendshapes already?

In other words, the UV's don't need to match on the geometries for the blendShape to work right, right?

Ta very much.

Andrei2k
01-28-2005, 02:54 AM
Yes and no. Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong but at least make sure that all your target shapes have non-overlapping and identical uv's if possible. I say this because of various issues of painting weights if your UVs are overlapping. Its just a problem and I can't explain why, so when you have blend shapes and you skin the head to your skeleton the weights you paint there might not coincide with your blend shape deformation and MIGHT give you a problem. If it works it works but you'd have to test it.

If anything why not transfer your UV set from one target head to all the rest if you UV mapped one head already after creating the blend shapes.... just a thought.

bananamation
01-28-2005, 08:00 AM
Just transfer your UV sets from one to the other works just fine!

select the mesh with the fixed UV, then the other, then:
polygon->transfer (opt.box)->UVsets
and done!

davidsloss
01-28-2005, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the help guys!

meatpuppet
01-28-2005, 09:25 PM
to be honest, i don't have any hard reasons for it but i'd pretty strongly recommend laying out your uv's as soon as you final the model. before you do any weighting, blendshapes or other deformation work. it'll probably save you quite a few headaches down the road.

cheers,

lricho
01-29-2005, 03:50 AM
blendshape deformations are performed by vertex number, so changing the uv map should have no effect on those deformations.

CGTalk Moderation
01-29-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.