PDA

View Full Version : Harpy Versus Griffon, Mike Schley (2D)

MikeSchley
01-27-2005, 06:59 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/128314/128314_1106855974_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/128314/128314_1106855974.jpg)

Title: Harpy Versus Griffon
Name: Mike Schley
Software: Photoshop

Here's the most recent illustration I've done for the Prison Mail (Letters) section of Dungeon Magazine.

I've moved away from spot illustrations and am using the space more fully now.

I've included the design elements that overlay the art since I created the page layout alongside the illustration and feel that they work together as a whole better than seperatly.

The cloud fade at the bottom of the image is intended to allow better visibility of the section title. As a result, without the text, the image seems top heavy. Since the intent was for the art to interact with the whole page I don't see this as a problem.

Let me know what you think.

hpslashluvr
01-28-2005, 07:20 AM
not a big fan of the green stripe across the back...but the feathers are very nice :thumbsup:

eyetooth
01-28-2005, 08:16 AM
ncie work, your illustration skills are progressing nicely. I really like the way you have done the bird, did you use references for it? nice work, keep it up

MikeSchley
01-28-2005, 04:48 PM
hpslashluvr wrote:
"not a big fan of the green stripe across the back...but the feathers are very nice"

Mike replies:
That's a page layout element from the letters section of the magazine. I included it and the "Prison Mail" text for for reference and final composition. I thought its color contrasted nicely with the eagle. Glad you liked the feathers though. ;)

As for the Griffon, I compiled about two dozen images of various eagles (Mostly Golden) and built the figure with the references in mind. I had to compose the posture and anatomy conceptually in order to have it read as a Griffon and interact believably with the Harpy.

sanjoant
04-25-2005, 04:35 AM
hi this is really nice work
I like the details of the eagle and also nice character.
I am stil little confused with the background treatment.Usually these type of characters will work with more darky bankground:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
04-25-2005, 04:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.