PDA

View Full Version : Mini Gallery/BS Detector

Tocpe
01-27-2005, 03:36 PM
There's a saying: "Opinions are like a$$holes...everyone has one."

I've noticed there seems to be an increasing problem with folks giving advice in the WIPs who really shouldn't. They're really just talking out of their arse. They really don't have the experience to be providing the kind of feedback they are posting. Sometimes it's hard to know if someone who is giving you advice really has the credentials to be giving feedback. Sometimes, it's the blind leading the blind.

Now I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed to post. I'm suggesting there should be a quick and easy way to check their skill level and if they know what they're talking about.

If you dig deep enough you might be able to find some of their own WIP postings and kind see from their own works if their suggestions should be taken seriously or just tossed aside. Some folks even post links to their latest WIPs in their sigs. But not everybody, and sometimes the image links are broken.

Here's my suggestion. Provide about 1 Meg of space for a mini-portfolio for each user. They can place their best work in there along with links to off-site animations/movies if needed. Then provide a link in each user's profile & the pull down accessed by clicking a user's name to this portfolio. It would allow the user who is being critiqued, to quickly check their critics’ skill level and area of expertise. They could see examples of the users work without having to either dig through the user’s WIPs (which could contain broken images), or dig through their website (if they even have one, or one that works well).

What do you think?

mummey
01-27-2005, 03:40 PM
I'm not sure how that would fly, but I do have an idea that I'll throw into the discussion.

--> User ratings

I would be interested to heat what everyone would think of them.

deaderthanred
03-01-2005, 02:42 AM
I know some ppl with no idea how to draw giving me very valuable advice on what they think I should improve on my work (ONLY when it comes to modelling/painting, and NOT help with things like programming/scripting tips lol). Some people may have no clue about creating cg, but they have a good eye, and they appreciate good artwork.

It depends on the artist to have enough common sense to know which advice is good and which is post-count-spam. I personally just use one of my best works as my avatar. Btw, I still consider myself a 2d noob and i got NDAs attached to my paid 3d work elsewhere.

So take my opinion accordingly ;)

Either way, a mini portfolio is a very good idea! :)

edit: considering the number of users here, how about a single html page (limit to 50kb size?) hosted on cgtalk that we can link to from our sig, and post images into that page via external linking (like what we do in the daily sketch forum). Finding a place to host images is easier than finding a host for html pages, far as i know. feel free to correct me

CLONEOPS
03-01-2005, 03:50 AM
Lke you say, sometimes it's like the blind leading the blind..but eventually one of the blind men after been walked into a brick wall is going to say Ouch!- hopefully it will be the one who who asks for advice...takes some bad- and learns from it.
I think learning to pick and choose what advice to use...and decide if it is worthwhile
comes down to wether the person is willing to give it some thought before using it...this in itself is a skill that needs to be learned..
I have seen some of the best advice going back and forth from newbie to newbie...
they keep it simple and to the point...and alot o times just pass on what they know.
..Sure people give bad(?) advice but sometimes just by a mistaking...and agin giving
advice is a skill that should be developed......like the dude say's ..use the power wisely.
Opinions...or Advice- sometimes it's difficult to tell the difference.

~This has been a non-binding opinion and i can not be held accountable for the anything.~

cache
03-25-2005, 05:17 AM
CLONEOPS -> very good thoughts !

User ratings would be a cool feature though !!! :D

Dear Cgtalk Moderators: are you planning to built in something like this ?

LittleFish
03-25-2005, 05:34 AM
I have a couple of ideas for the placement of the mini-gallery. Instead of having to follow a link, it could be ever present, in small 5K or so thumbnails. They could be, say, about a half-inch or less square, and be in a grid of sorts in the user profile bar thing on the right of the post (you know, with the avatar, etc., whatever it's called). Alternatively, it could be in the signature (it takes html and <table> tags, right?)... not sure how it would be most conveniently coded for anyone not familiar with html or php. (I'd attach a diagram, but I've only been a lurker for the past couple of months really, and just haven't gotten around to posting.)

CGTalk Moderation
03-25-2005, 05:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.