PDA

View Full Version : The Annoying Thing

WesComan
01-27-2005, 02:22 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4210407.stm

Good to hear that both guys are earning from this :thumbsup:

Q_B
01-27-2005, 03:07 PM
I second that. The sound is funny, but the animation is hylarious, simply priceless!

Gentle Fury
01-27-2005, 05:01 PM
do you have a link to what this is all about? Not being from the UK I have no clue what that article is referring to. ;)

Suricate
01-27-2005, 05:13 PM
Some additonial info on Erik Wernquist and the video for downloaad can be found here (http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/community/lightwave/wernquist/1.html)
This ringtone is also very popular in Germany ... though it can be irritating when you listen to it for too long :rolleyes:

Q_B
01-27-2005, 05:14 PM
Damn this is strange ... all I hear is a fuss about ringtones and BBC news blah blah blah ... i mean, can't yoy people remember this?

The original Annoying Thing Thread here on CGTalk (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=98422&highlight=the+annoying+thing)

Oh one thing i simply cannot figure out is that in the article they mention "In 2003, Daniel's fellow Swede, Erik Wernquist", implying they were fellows.

If you read the original thread, " Unfortunately I have no idea who the mad guy behind it is, so I canīt give him credit (I assume it is a he)"

Bad reporter research or what?

SegFaultII
01-27-2005, 05:18 PM
this is a comercial for a mobile fone ringtone here in germany, MTV shows it at least 4 times in 10 minutes, i am serious. sweety the bird is another animated character in the ringtone comercials. its so DAMN annoying, we hate it here so much, some guys put up a flash game where you can kill the little bird. good animation, horrible product.

andrewley
01-27-2005, 05:31 PM
We get it on MTV2 all the time here too -

If I ever see that little goblin thing in the street I'm gonna paper cut his eyeballs and pour vinegar on them.

dmonk
01-27-2005, 05:43 PM
This brings up a big question.

What is the market going to be like for quick animated ringtones. With so many artist capable of producing awesome work. I'm sure there is potential for tons of money.

neilyb
01-27-2005, 06:31 PM
The first time I saw this on German TV as a ringtone ad I did a double take....THEY CHANGED THE SOUND, the damn thing wasn't as funny annymore.....still annoying though :-)

Judging by the quality of some of the ringtones (the drunken Elk and a few other over Xmas) I reckon the market here could fly. Definately the Annoying Thing stands out against the rest! (inlcuding those rather crude and bothersome 3D babes!)

Good to know they earning from CG!

mmkelly011881
01-27-2005, 07:25 PM
In 2003, Daniel's fellow Swede, Erik Wernquist, drew the now familiar animated frog to go with the sound, christened it The Annoying Thing, and put it on his website for download.

i always think of fellow meaning "to share something with someone else"
doesn't necessarily mean fellows... or friends... but shared countrymen... in this case Sweden

the more disturbing thing is that the BBC thinks that this animation was drawn

Peddy
01-28-2005, 12:57 AM
oh my gawd! i saw that little bastards linked on 3dtotal Yonks ago! thought it was funny in the murderous way, really like the animation, and saved it to my computer. then i start seeing the ringtone ads in Australia. at first i thought i should call someone and tell them to ring their lawyer, but good gravy! the most popular ringtone in the world? heh. good on em, for makin a few bucks.
we all knew yuppies were suckers, but in all fairness, if they didnt charge $3 for ringtones or whatever, id have the annoying thing as well, just to piss ppl off :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-28-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.