PDA

View Full Version : Viewing procedural shaders?

MJV
01-27-2005, 01:14 PM
How do I see procedural shaders in the viewport without rendering? Say in textured shaded mode? For example, I have this material that uses the fabric shader. How do I see the fabric shader pattern on my object without rendering?

StephanD
01-27-2005, 01:30 PM
Use the render region tool,it's easier and you can easily tweak it to display faster.After all,you can't say it's too slow to do so because no software would render procedurals in an ogl viewport as fast as a render.I think.

MJV
01-27-2005, 03:21 PM
Use the render region tool,it's easier and you can easily tweak it to display faster.After all,you can't say it's too slow to do so because no software would render procedurals in an ogl viewport as fast as a render.I think.

Agree that the render region tool rocks, but this is a procedural weave texture in Cinema 4D, unrendered. Is this impossible in XSI?

http://www.mvpny.com/proceduralviewportMV.jpg

Also, notice how the poles aren't messed up as they are in XSI.

Just_David
01-27-2005, 03:23 PM
No, procedurals cant FAIK be displayed in the viewports ( yet )
I alway plug the procedurals into the surface node of my material and use a low AA with RR .

Zendorf
01-29-2005, 06:05 AM
Also, notice how the poles aren't messed up as they are in XSI

This was also throwing me initially.....try editing your texture projection and changing your "uv generation" tab from explicit to implicit.

I am also from a C4D (and maya) background and something that confuses me is the way that the colour channel in c4d/maya is the same as the diffuse channel in XSI. I used to always use diffuse to dirty up my shaders to some extent.Do you know what the equivalent of the c4d/maya style diffuse is in XSI?

Cheers...

smaug
01-29-2005, 02:11 PM
if you want to mimic the diffuse port in maya or others just multiply your color textures or shaders with your dirt texture

MJV
01-29-2005, 03:49 PM
Thanks Zendorf. Unfortunately implicit isn't a deformable mapping, and the documentation on implicit mapping is pitifully thin. It's like Cinema's non uv mappings, except with Cinema you have the stick texture tag which makes them deformable, as well as the option to freeze it to an editable UV set.

Diffusion in Cinema is just a greyscale multiplier that can be assigned to different channels. You can do the same thing in XSI several ways, as the texture tree gives you many diverse options, one of which is as smaug explained.

Zendorf
01-30-2005, 03:41 AM
Cheers...yeah that makes a lot of sense. My brain is just adjusting to the XSI way of doing things! The great thing about the rendertree is that it is making me think more about what is going on "under the hood". Even more so than the Hypershade and much more than the C4d way (though for mustering up quick tasty shaders, the Cinema system can't be beat).

CGTalk Moderation
01-30-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.