PDA

View Full Version : keying visibility???

seven6ty
01-27-2005, 10:45 AM
Ok, so this has been bugging me...

Is it a good idea, when you go through your rig and "lock & hide" all of the translate or rotate attributes so that animators don't accidently start changing them and setting keys on them...

Is it a good idea to lock and hide the visibility attribute? I usually always make a point to leave it keyable... But I have never ever had to use it, so I don't really know why I do leave it??? I thought at first that locking it would mean you couldn't turn the visibility of it on/off by turning on and off the visibility of the layer it was currently on, but that's not the case.

So is there any reason to leave this thing keyable???

Morganism
01-27-2005, 04:23 PM
I usually hook the visibility of controls up to another controller somewhere, and then hide the viz attribute on the controller. Leaving it keyable means that if an animator is setting keyframes on all his channels and also changing visibility, then the keyed controllers might end up flickering on and off.
So its a good idea to have a controller called "Visiblity" or something, and keep it out of the way of the other controllers so that it doesn't get keyed. And there you can have attributes like "Arm Visiblity" etc. where you can control the viz attributes of all your other control objects.

seven6ty
01-27-2005, 06:07 PM
Hmm, interesting, thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
01-27-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.