PDA

View Full Version : Self-Portrait Attempt!!!

InterFacer
01-27-2005, 02:20 AM
Hehe...i've lurked, i've commented few, but i've never posted my own art for the masses to rabble at. so...as I blush and hope for a decent review, I'll post this for you all to look at. I did this for a digital imaging class [read: intro to photoshop] class. The assignment was a self portrait, which in my opinion came out pretty accurate as far as looking like myself. Took me a little bit under an hour, so its quite undeveloped in alot of areas. but general critiques are greatly appreciated.

*watches thread and hopes for comments*

http://interface-media.biz/images/self_portrait1.jpg

InterFacer
01-28-2005, 05:20 AM
with 56 views (3 of which are mine), would it be possible to get some critique? i know its not stellar compositionally, but anatomically could i get some feedback?

Falcorr
01-28-2005, 05:32 AM
Yes people are always in hurry. I dont know really what would help you, but here you go.

Maybe you should define the chinline? All overlapping forms must have high definition of forms. To be able to tell which part is which. I bet your eyes are lot more reddish than those?
Shade them to remind more like a sphere. Well i think it is possible to see who this guy is there are plenty of areas noticed, but work on the general lighting decide where you want the lighting to come from and mold all shapes according to it.

OK. Howd ya like that? :)

InterFacer
01-28-2005, 05:40 AM
just glad someone noticed the post :) thanks very much

Kirt
01-28-2005, 05:50 AM
Proportionally speaking ... there's no way to tell if you've made any anatomical errors without you posting the reference image or meeting everyone on CGTalk face to face. :D

Artistically speaking ... I find the more interesting self portraits to be stylized more than photo realistic. Not that you couldn't do a fine image of yourself realistically, but when I see an image of someone I don't know I just think "meh :shrug: " unless it's done with some style.

Technically speaking ... I think you need to work on your values and colors some more. Right now as I see it, the eyes are two saturated (white too white, green too green) and the skin tones are too unsaturated. Aside from the hair there is no contrast in the image and a lot of detail needs to be added to give this image some life.

Moderatorly (is that a word?) speaking ... no replies after 50 or 100 views is typical here. So don't take it too hard. It doesn't mean your work is bad. Keep at it and post updates, I'm sure you'll get some more responses.

V_Shane
01-28-2005, 07:45 AM
I don't think it looks anything like you........just kiddding ;)
How would I know, lol. Maybe if you posted a reference image of yourself it would be easier for certain. The rendering Kirt pointed out well, the image does have an odd sheen to it like a 3D model. I think you can make this work once more values are in.

CGTalk Moderation
01-28-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.