PDA

View Full Version : Baby Dinosaur Modelling Help

chrisrw
01-26-2005, 06:01 PM
Hello, I'm mainly posting for some help on what I should/need to do with a character that I'm creating for my animated short. This is a baby dinosaur, sort of a Gollum character, capable of looking cute, and also pretty ferocious (with some fun morph targets). I'm at the point where I want to set up UV's and texture him. I modelled him with his legs pointing straight down (stretched out, toes pointing straight down) and his arms coming out of his body at a 45 degree angle (stretched out) but I modelled the neck in the S curve that you can see in the image. Do I need to remodel the neck (and parts of the back) so that the neck is completly straight? It would certainly help with setting up UV's (having the ability to put a cylindrical map around the body/neck). But is this also important for skinning, having the neck in that neutral pose to start off?

A note on the image, there is no skinning finished yet, thats why theres bad creasing on the arms/legs. And this wip image is missing a couple little details, like nostrils, but they've all been added since.

Thanks for any information you can supply, I appreciate it, I'm a bit confused with what I should do next.

http://www.cwanimation.com/baby01f.jpg

nofxsapunk
01-26-2005, 06:07 PM
you should be fine with having the mdoel like that. you just have to set up the joints a little more in the end to get it to be the way you want. but you should be fine. does the thing have monsterous sharp teeth? if so thats awsome. if not then how are you going to make him look mean?

chrisrw
01-26-2005, 06:47 PM
Yep, he has some pretty massive jaws inside. He can look pretty ferocious.

In the past, when I model a character in a position like this (like on the baby's raptor mom, her neck was modelled curved up), when I skinned it and tried to move the neck in a different position (hanging below the body), the model tries to keep some of the original curves. It's like its fighting those original curves in the model. Im just cautious about making this model with the least amount of limitations as possible.

Adam
01-28-2005, 12:19 AM
hey Chris this is Adam from school days. Hows it going? anyway I think you will be fine with the bones (atleast you should be). the only thing that I would be worried about is that if you stretch the neck straight out I think you might have some noticableuvw stretch unless you compinsate for that in you unwrap. I guess I would straightne it just to be safe. Since it looks like it would be easy to strighten anyway right?

eric_bit
01-28-2005, 06:45 AM
it's very cute! i love it! hope u finish it!

CGTalk Moderation
01-28-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.