PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to bake Mental Ray

Kiko Buyo
01-26-2005, 05:49 PM
Is it possible to render to texture using MR shaders? I got it all set up and the results come out black.

sforsyth
01-28-2005, 05:13 PM
As far as I know, you can do it in Max 7, but not in Max 6.

bsm3d
02-21-2005, 02:31 PM
Hello, MR baking is only possible with Max7, but maybe you can try a plugin from http://www.mankua.com the plugin is Kaldera, here is info copy from the web page :

Kaldera is a 3dsmax 5 and 6 utility plugin that lets you render full scene information into texture maps based on the object's appearance and relationship between itself, other objects, and elements in the scene. The resulting texture maps are then "baked" into the object; that is, they become part of the object via mapping, and can be used to display the textured object rapidly on Direct3D devices such as graphic display cards or game engines.

good luck !

psv
03-10-2005, 11:31 PM
yes it is and works well.......

markk
03-24-2005, 10:39 AM
I have the same problem...my results come out black .

I want to render the ambient occlusion shader into a texture pass, on any channel, with predefined u.v.s...I cannot get it to work.

any help appreciated

bsm3d
03-24-2005, 11:37 AM
Hello,

Well MR render with baking work only into 3Dsmax 7 release or upper.

I don't know if that's help but there is my advices :)

So I get few rendering error usually when using Glass material, translucent,etc...I think physic material don't be good idea to baked...

Use only standard properties of materials like diffuse, bump, opacity, raytrace,...

Now you need to stich the automatic flatten uv sometimes because auto UV done with the render to texture isn't accurate when there is to many triangles in small area...you can get glitch like small black or blue line...

For using 3DSMAX MR or scanline baking with WireFusion :

Beware to check after baking the Automatic Flatten UV :

1) Save UVW to a file like my_saved_uv
2) Change channel from 3 to 1 and accept it
3) Load saved my_saved_ux file

WireFusion only work right in this way.

Now go to material editor and select a new material slot and put the rendered map into diffuse slot, after apply it to the object int the scene.

Now save max file into eg : my_folder
go to utilities panel and click more -> ressources collector :
select path my_folder
check box : collect bitmpa, include max file, update materials

Now finish with export this into VRML format to the my_folder, in VRML export UNCHECK all box !

Take care to place texture into the same folder where you put the VRML file, because VRML texture is linked (like url) and not encapsuled into VRML file.

Texture must be into GIF, PNG, JPG format

I hope this help you ;)

markk
03-24-2005, 12:12 PM
thanx for your help, I'm pretty much doing what you suggest....I think teh prob is with amb occ shader itself.

I'm still getting a pure black texture when I try and render in max7

WHat I'm doing is...

open max

create a box and plane.

Set renderer to be mental Ray

Apply a UVunwrap to the box.

Open Material editor

Set material type to Mental Ray

In the surface shader slot set it to 'ambient / reflective Occlusion (base)

Open the render to texture dialoge

--------this is where I think I'm going wrong!!!----------------

I've tried adding variious texture elements and rendering them to different target
shader slots.

This all works in so far as it renders a texture to that slot which I
can cet ready for esport in the manner you mentioned.

The problem is that it always renders a pure black texture. Its like the amb occ information
doesnt exist in a format that can be understood by either a texture or any of the texture elements available....this kind of ties in with what I understand of amb / occ...but visually the results from the render would be perfect for our game engine with real time lights over the top...

bsm3d
03-24-2005, 01:12 PM
In case WF only support this slots :

Diffuse
Opacity
Reflection

shannondees
01-05-2006, 11:45 PM
It will work if you drag the occlusion shader into the "Reflection" slot of a standard material.

I was getting the all black occlusion texture when i rendered it to texture too.

I scratched my head for a minute and then I realized that the mentalray shader is "Ambient/Reflective Occlusion", so i dumped it into the "Reflection" slot of my standard material and voila, a perfect result.

Hope that helps.

- shannon

J.O.
01-09-2006, 01:05 AM
A CompleteMap bakes ambient occlusion, so the trick is to have it evenly lighted. Here's what I did

1: created a box over a plane
2: created a standard material with ambient occlusion on DIFFUSE SLOT
3: Created an omni which affected AMBIENT ONLY (advanced parameters, uncheck diffuse and specular and check ambient
4: Baked a completemap.
5: Voila :bounce:

It works so well that you can bake it with a diffuse texture if you assign the texture to the light (white) slot of the ambient occlusion shader. :thumbsup:

shannondees
02-11-2006, 10:36 PM
Alternativley you don't have to set up any lights or materials, (the mental ray ambient occlusion map option does all the work for you) just:

1. Select your unwraped model
2. Goto "Rendering -> Render to Texture"
3. Load "mental.ray.no.gi.high" as your renderer
4. In the "Output" rollout of the "Render to Texture" window click the "Add" button
5. Select "Ambient Occlusion (MR)" from the "Add Texture Elements" Window
6. Render

It renders a nice ambient occlusion map to your unwraped UV's at whatever size you specify that you can use however you want.

- shannon

Sleepincat
04-24-2006, 10:48 AM
Does anyone know how to use a normal bump with the render to texture MR Ambient Occlusion map so that the ambient light baked out includes the normal bump surface detail? I've been looking for a way to get a "dirt map" for a low res model that has normal bump detail, without having to use it's high res counterpart

CGTalk Moderation
04-24-2006, 10:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.