PDA

View Full Version : Character Rigging - FAT

joryscha
01-26-2005, 02:00 AM
Hello!

I have a character who is over wheight with a large gut .. I am trying to find ways to rigg the belly so that it bounces as the character walks/moves. XSI has soft constraints and makes it easy to set up however I want to be able to do this in Maya ... does Maya have soft constaint system? -- thanks

seven6ty
01-26-2005, 02:49 AM
Oh I'm doing the same thing.

You can use a jiggle deformer, or a soft body dynamic thinger. Jiggle deformer is probably more economical and easier though, so I'd go that way.

BiGMaCHiNe
01-26-2005, 11:53 PM
Jiggle is good, except for in situations like where you want the character to hang upside down ( or in another extreme where the jiggle does not return back to the original position )
simply because it will always return back to the original position.

You could always apply a blend shape node also, for the area ( the gut ) to be in that extreme position, and then just blend it off when he returns back to normal. The only warning is that the jiggle will always still move the same amount. So possibly the better option would be to key the envelope and the blendshape at the same time for such a position.

Ofcourse, your character may not be doing these things which would make jiggle perfect.
As was said earlier, its definitely more economic.

tfall
01-28-2005, 12:14 AM
I'm starting a fat character too, with a large gut. I want the stomach to hang over the belt and be pushed out of the way by the legs when he bends over. I haven't tried it yet, but these are my thoughts:

1. Group a sphere and attach the group to the stomach area (maybe just constraining to multiple spine joints). This way the group will follow the skeleton, but I have additional control of the sphere.

2. Turn the sphere into a soft body with the original as the goal.

3. Use the softbody as an influence object on the body.

Maya's dynamics will add some bounce to the stomach as the skeleton is animated, and the original sphere can be moved and transformed independently for fine control. Perhaps collision objects can be placed in the legs or belt.

This is essentially how a lot of people are using muscles. I have developed my own muscle/skin plugin so this technique seemed natural.

If this works well I was going to use the same technique in the tricep area of the arms, where there is a lot of loose flesh.

I think this will give more control than just a softbody for the entire body.

- Terry

CGTalk Moderation
01-28-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.